Rowans GPX Turbo Build

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rob Furniss
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Rowans GPX Turbo Build

Post by Rob Furniss »

It's early days and we don't know exactly where this build is going yet but it has begun.

Rowan (my Son) has decided to fit a single Turbo to his GPX. He's had a brand new GT35 Turbo (a chinese copy) lying around for a while and decided to get on with it, so we spent some time this weekend moving the battery to the boot and moving the fuel filter and lines out of the way (hopefully enough).

He dropped his car off at the exhaust place this morning for the Turbo pipes to be fabricated.
Aftermarket waste gate hasn't turned up yet but it's on the way.

Emanage blue has been on the car for a while and I should be able to do a basic tune on it till he gets it on the rolling road here, he's already got my AEM UEGO gauge in the car (that reminds me he owes me one!)

Have 275cc injectors ready to go in - they will do for now but he may be looking to go larger later on.

Huge intercooler here already waiting to go in (looks very big to me).

Adjustable FPR is waiting to go on and i'm going to feed the fuel rail in parallel when I fit that for him, just need to get some bits ordered.

If he can get it home from the exhaust place on wednesday with nothing breaking or setting on fire I will be happy and then the real work begins.
The plan is to get it up and running on low-ish boost for now and then upgrade bits later (fuel pump etc).

He has a second stage plan - think's i'm going to decomp the heads, put forged internals in and turn the boost up - yeah right like I know what i'm doing :roll:
"If the engine blows we'll just drop another one in", oh the youth of today - too much time and money on their hands!

He's also got more plans for after but i'm sceptical that we can get to that point before he runs out of money or I run out of patience but if we do that will be something unique - probably crazy. I've got my own project to get moving again anyway.

I don't know that much about Turbos and i'm not a mechanic but i've got to help him out.
Will keep you posted - good or bad.
bjk
Totes

Re: Rowans GPX Turbo Build

Post by bjk »

I'm sure all the boosted guys here will be happy to lend your their ear and advice (especially since it's not a p-plater pipe dream but actually already in the works haha).

Re: decomp, Vectose has done this with an engine he refreshed and put into his GPvR. He's can also run E85 though, but has pushed up to 15PSI on stock internals. Tim is on 11 now iirc.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Awesome, good to see another turbo build under way!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Wastegate has arrived so we've just dropped it off at the exhaust place.
Has a 7psi spring apparently - but he's just ordered a 14psi spring for later.
He wasn't expecting it to say Turbosmart on it so not sure what this really is but I suspect it's in disguise particularly based on what he paid for it.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You sure it doesn't say Terbosmart?
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Vectose wrote:You sure it doesn't say Terbosmart?
What are you talking about, that's a 100% genuine Turbosmart sticker. :cheeky:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I'm just hoping it's got a genuine 7psi spring in it and not something made up.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Good decision to turbo!

Not so good decision to use China parts.. they like to go bang :lol:

GT35 is pretty bloody big, interesting to see how much lag it will have.

Also a big huge f**k-off intercooler is probably going to give you more lag too.

Are you looking to retain mivec function?
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Daniel2019 wrote:Good decision to turbo!

Not so good decision to use China parts.. they like to go bang :lol:

GT35 is pretty bloody big, interesting to see how much lag it will have.

Also a big huge f**k-off intercooler is probably going to give you more lag too.

Are you looking to retain mivec function?
Yes I was concerned about lag too, we'll have to see how it goes on that score.

It's now looking like he's going to go with HKS 272 profile cams, a Haltech instead of the emanage blue that he's already got installed (not sure which Haltech yet but maybe 750) and 1.2mm
decomp head gasket. Just been speaking to David at RPW on his behalf.
He will most likely use his emanage for now and get used to the car with the turbo on at 7psi while he's saving up for the other bits (cams, haltech etc).

I forgot to ask David but what are the benefits of also going with forged pistons and conrods with what he already has planned?
(I don't want to do the work by the way)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Rob Furniss wrote:Yes I was concerned about lag too, we'll have to see how it goes on that score.

It's now looking like he's going to go with HKS 272 profile cams, a Haltech instead of the emanage blue that he's already got installed (not sure which Haltech yet but maybe 750) and 1.2mm
decomp head gasket. Just been speaking to David at RPW on his behalf.
He will most likely use his emanage for now and get used to the car with the turbo on at 7psi while he's saving up for the other bits (cams, haltech etc).

I forgot to ask David but what are the benefits of also going with forged pistons and conrods with what he already has planned?
(I don't want to do the work by the way)
Cams will be good if you can find them.

Haltech do a good bit of kit in terms of an ECU, I will be using one for my car too. It's also used by almost every tuner ever so most places are familiar with it.

So the benefits of forged rods and pistons are that you can safely run more boost without bending a rod or putting a hole in a piston, basically. Vectose is running I think 15psi on stock internals, but with E85. On 98 octane safely we can go to around 10psi. Forged internals and E85 would probably see him able to run upwards of 20psi potentially but that's uncharted waters for these motors. E85 is also good to have because you are less likely to melt a piston and it resists knock better than 98 octane so you get both the ability to run more timing and it is safer overall.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

Been to check the progress at the exhaust shop, he's just been doing bits in between jobs and he said it's been a pain in the arse so taking a bit longer.
He's almost done though and should get the car back for the weekend, he's made brackets to hold the turbo and he's plumbing in the oil and water lines.

Will get some pics up when the car is back but i'm not expecting it to be running yet, if we can limp home without any drama I will be happy. Still got to fit the injectors, intercooler, do a basic map on the emanage.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Bet the guy is thinking "Goddamn single turbos on transverse V6s in small engine bays goddamn..." :lol: