Shiggz 6a13tt Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shiggz
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Shiggz 6a13tt Conversion

Post by shiggz »

So the original plan was to swap a 6a13tt into my FTO, in 2-3 years time.. I guess Christmas came early :D

The 6a12 beast is going to be in the garage for a little while. I recently did a top-end rebuild on it, upgrading all seals, belts, etc.
Definitely going to miss the engine, treated me very very well, only having done 110,000kms, but its time for Stututututuu.

IMG_4633.JPG
IMG_4633.JPG (876.92 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

This thread will outline all the details regarding the swap of the 6a13tt into my FTO, and also includes some other work to the car that was highly required. The basic plan is to upgrade all the parts on my car to support the engine, including braces, rear suspension, battery relocate etc before swapping the engine in, to see how stable I can get the FTO to run before the 6a13tt goes in, as well as to reduce troubleshooting in the future. So firstly the supporting mods will go on, and will be tested, then the 6a13tt will be dropped in. The engine will be dropped in completely stock, at 140,000kms, bought from a wrecking VR4 Legnum over east. The goal is to get the car running properly on stock parts, and upgrade all other sections of the car to properly support the power. In the future I will look at forged internals with upgraded turbos, but currently I just want it to be swapped properly and to be reliable.

The budget is set to ~$9000, and should ideally take approximately a month worth of work, being done in my garage.

[Note this thread will be photo heavy!]

I have already purchased all the materials and parts required for this build. The main parts include:

- 2001 Legnum 6a13tt Engine (With wiring loom, IC, and all associated piping)
- WaveTrac LSD (With Koyo Bearings and Speedo Gear)
- GFB Boost Controller
- GFB Deceptor Pro 2 BOV
- Battery Relocation Equipment (Box, cables, distribution block etc)

So the build began today, upgrading the rear suspension components:

1.JPG
1.JPG (808.36 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

I began installing the following parts in the above picture;
- 24mm Signature Adjustable Swaybar
- HardRace Adjustable Rear Toe Arms
- HardRace Adjustable Rear Camber Arms
- Evo1-3 Rays Rear Lower Control Arms
- Adjustable Whiteline Front + Rear Droplinks

2.jpg
2.jpg (786.34 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

This is a comparison between the stock swaybar and Selby's Signature 24mm swaybar, much thickness, much wow.

To bolt this swaybar on, I had to drill some holes into the mounting brackets. I either had the choice of using a rivnut, or using a bolt with a spring washer and nut. I went with the bolt and nut method, since I'd have to drill a larger hole for the rivnut, and didn't want to compromise the strength of the metal, since there was only a little metal left between my drilled hole, and the original mounting point of the stock swaybar, as shown in the below pictures. Then drilled a perfect hole, sanded it, and bolted the bush and bracket in

3.jpg
3.jpg (736.57 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (407.64 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (588.19 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

The bolt/washer/nut method worked quite well:

11.jpg
11.jpg (400.94 KiB) Viewed 7238 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (431.82 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

Also props to the previous owner, who used the upgraded lancer swaybar mounts, with the double sheet welding at the top of the mount which prevents cracking. According to Bennoz, the part number is MR554491. No wonder my Toyo R888R's didn't rip through the mounts! 8)

Front:

13.jpg
13.jpg (659.5 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

Back:
14.jpg
14.jpg (505.68 KiB) Viewed 7238 times

Swaybar was then ready to be mounted to the car:

15.jpg
15.jpg (882.4 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

The Wavetrac LSD from the 3G Eclipse also arrived today, costing $1500 shipped. Special thanks to Michael Copley from Raventech Racing for importing it for me, and giving me quite a decent price for it. If anyone else is after it, send him an e-mail and mention me!
Very solid product, cant wait to test it out!

4.jpg
4.jpg (540.34 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (454 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

Got the Speedo gear and Koyo/Mitsubishi Bearings from Amayama:

5.jpg
5.jpg (354.7 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

The Koyo Bearings seem really solid, not sure if they're completely OEM spec, or slightly upgraded. Either way, I'm happy!

6.jpg
6.jpg (463.22 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (591.32 KiB) Viewed 7237 times

Solid amount of progress on the car today, and much more to come tomorrow. The rear HEL Braided brake lines were installed today too. Rear pads and rotors were removed, as I shall install some RDA/EBC (Redstuff) Rotors and Pads, temporarily until my brembo upgrade in the months to come. Little bit of a setback with the rear caliper; I was going to rebuild it, as I was having issues with it, however after further inspection I will need a new piston and possibly a clean up of the caliper. Really bad condition on this particular caliper which is strange. Though I should address this issue tomorrow and it should be ready to be installed.
Last edited by shiggz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:24 am, edited 9 times in total.
Sututututuuuuu

shiggz
Grease Monkey

Re: Shiggz 6a13tt Conversion

Post by shiggz »

[ Reserved ]
Sututututuuuuu

shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

[ Reserved ]
Sututututuuuuu

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Godspeed, sir.

POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

Awesome work, very keen to see the finished product.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Nice work, look forward to seeing all the progress.

How much was a 4G63T conversion?
9k seems like it would cover that?
shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

Thanks!
spetz wrote:Nice work, look forward to seeing all the progress.

How much was a 4G63T conversion?
9k seems like it would cover that?
Not sure how much that conversion is, but I'm more interested in the twin turbo engine. My main goal is to get a quicker 0-160kmph time and greater acceleration, rather than high horsepower with unusable higher top speed.

Didn't work on the car too much today, but all my ordered parts have officially arrived! The caliper rebuild kit is here from poland, Part number, MB857874. So i'll be rebuilding my caliper tomorrow (Maybe tonight if i have the energy).

And mainly, THE ENGINE IS HERE! 8) 8) 8) 8)

19.JPG
19.JPG (236.83 KiB) Viewed 7233 times

20.jpg
20.jpg (661.99 KiB) Viewed 7233 times

Just squeezed into my garage!

22.JPG
22.JPG (991.79 KiB) Viewed 7233 times

I bought the engine, at ~140,000kms. Apparently no leaks, no smoke. Saw a video of the engine before it was removed from the Legnum, and it seems quiet with no signs of leaks, which means I'm not taking any of it apart! Score! The front bank was compression tested, resulting in approximately 180psi. I shall do another wet and dry test tomorrow on both banks to confirm.
Though I unfortunately found some drops of oil inside the intake system; turbo compressor, and throttle body. Not sure if a turbo seal is gone or if it's a normal amount of blow by due to the engine being run at more than stock boost. But either way, i'll confirm that tomorrow with the compression test.

In addition to the engine, I also bought the stock intercooler, engine loom, all the associated intake/IC piping and all engine accessories except the starter motor. Got it all for $2600 shipped, which is veryy reasonable.

In my head I broke this down as:
$1000 - Engine
$300 - Turbos
$350 - Intercooler and all piping
$350 - Engine Loom
$600 - Shipping
$0 - Engine accessories (Alternator, AC compressor etc) :lol:

21.jpg
21.jpg (902.88 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
Last edited by shiggz on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sututututuuuuu

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

At least you have a reasonably spacious garage. :lol: How'd the engine come off the truck?
Image Image Image Image
shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

Yeah! Lucky it just squeezed in there, since I couldn't move the FTO.
The engine came on a pallet from over east, a tail lift truck delivered it to my house, and the guy used a pallet trolley (jack pallet) to wheel the pallet/engine into the garage.
It was unexpectedly easy! :D
Sututututuuuuu

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

shiggz wrote:Yeah! Lucky it just squeezed in there, since I couldn't move the FTO.
The engine came on a pallet from over east, a tail lift truck delivered it to my house, and the guy used a pallet trolley (jack pallet) to wheel the pallet/engine into the garage.
It was unexpectedly easy! :D
Ah, tail lift...that's what I really need haha. Mine is just going to the depot, so I have to find something to put it in there and then get it home and off
Image Image Image Image
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

If you have a trailer then perhaps you can just bring a disassembled engine crane?
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Or a couple blokes and lift it on. lol
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

+1 just get 4-5 people to pick it up.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

spetz wrote:If you have a trailer then perhaps you can just bring a disassembled engine crane?
Vectose wrote:Or a couple blokes and lift it on. lol
Daniel2019 wrote:+1 just get 4-5 people to pick it up.
Depot should have a forklift. Have reasonable people-power, it's more the transport. Anyway, on with the thread. :lol: