Shiggz 6a13tt Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Sahin
HULK
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Shiggz 6a13tt Conversion

Post by Sahin »

My bet is that you have to much toe in on one side causing that wear on the tires, that's extreme camber wear if not
shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

Don't think its the toe, because I would've felt my steering sway, but my steering wasn't affected at all.. The car drove in a straight line after my alignment.

Just used the engine crane for the first time, moved the engine to the other side of the garage. Used an engine crane for the first time in my life, by myself :lol:
*Suddenly feels like Dom from Fast and Furious 8)

But yeah I can't believe it. The FTO is now ready for its swap :S
Don't know if I should be happy or sad.. I'm going to miss this engine. Last clock count of 115,503kms. Engine still in amazing condition (only the oil leak which i'll fix when its out of the car).

Tomorrow... I start to strip things from the engine bay. Engine and gearbox should hopefully be out of the car by Friday / the end of the week.
(I only work on the car for 30-60 minutes at a time, when I take a break from studying)
Sututututuuuuu

spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Against my better judgement I have to agree with Sahin.
Such wear is generally not from camber but a combination of camber and toe which causes heaps of scrub.

Had you been driving for thousands of km camber might explain it but a month is not enough.

Either way let us know what the alignment shop says and great work on the car
shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

Cheers!
Yeah probably a combination of both. Either way, it was unnoticeable, in terms of noise or even a visual difference, until I saw the tyre with the bumper off.
Not going to bother taking it back to them to try get reimbursed because I have no proof, and also the FTO isn't completely drivable at the moment.
Time to move onto bigger and better things :)
Sututututuuuuu

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Using an engine crane by myself to lift my own 6A13 off the back of my housemate's very tall Triton was also fun. :lol:

And famous last words, Shaheel. :tongue:
Bennoz wrote:Overall plan, is to do this on a budget & quickly. Keeping as much of the 6A13 as stock as possible.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

bjk wrote:Using an engine crane by myself to lift my own 6A13 off the back of my housemate's very tall Triton was also fun. :lol:

Bennoz wrote:Overall plan, is to do this on a budget & quickly. Keeping as much of the 6A13 as stock as possible.
:cheeky:

*cough* 10k! *cough*
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Bennoz wrote:
bjk wrote:Using an engine crane by myself to lift my own 6A13 off the back of my housemate's very tall Triton was also fun. :lol:

*cough* 10k! *cough*
Bennoz wrote:My budget is $6 grand.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Love the box work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

^^^^ $6k :lol:

Cheers mate!

So I finished one of my lab reports yesterday, and thought i'd reward myself to an hour of car work :lol:

Started removing bits and pieces to get this engine out.

This is what the tyre looked like.. Didn't have a good life at all :(

And this is the bumper frame that is completely wrecked, and is barely hanging on (Thanks to the idiot who reversed into my car while i was at work)
I'll probably need a new bumper because theres cracks everywhere and the bumper is just in crap condition now (after 2 accidents)

Removed a fair bit of things when i worked on the car at night..
Jacked it up, drained all the fluids, removed the radiator, fans, intake, strut brace, FPR, catch can etc.

I should be able to remove a bit more things like the y-pipe and drop the hubs tonight, so hopefully tomorrow, all thats left is really just the electricals, and the engine can come out
Sututututuuuuu

shiggz
Grease Monkey

Post by shiggz »

Sweeeeet, so.. Just worked on the removal for a few hours.
Removed the y-pipe, intake manifold, and got the wiring harness completely off (Without breaking or cutting a single clip ;) )

Umm yeaaaahhh.. I'm pretty damn close to getting this engine out!

The plan is, remove all connections so that the engine and gearbox can drop to the floor. Before dropping it, loosen/remove all the bolts that hold the gearbox to the engine. Then drop the engine onto a tyre and slide the gearbox off

So all thats really left is:
- Remove driveshafts
- Unbolt AC Compressor
- Loosen gearbox bolts
- Remove crossmember
- Remove gearbox/engine mounts
- Engine gets dropped to the flooorr!

Not that i've ever done an engine removal before, but i think i should be able to get it out completely by myself, and hopefully if I get enough study done tomorrow, I can spend a few hours and get the engine bay completely empty! :D :D :D :D

Sututututuuuuu

bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Just be careful mate, don't want you dropping heavy automotive parts on your fingers like other members have done. :lol: Nice progress though