BJK's 6A13TT FTO

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: BJK's 6A13TT Money Pit

Post by bjk »

Sahin wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:04 am So nearly $1000 on stuff you don’t really need?
Only if you consider heat management non-essential...

I've spent money on stupider things! At least these are both functional. :lol:
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

The EVO 5/6 rack has the lines aimed differently. Clears some space at the rear.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

So. Some updates.

Got my manifolds and rear turbo housings back. $500 all up.

VecTec arrived on Tuesday and got straight to work.

Tidied up the horror that was battery acid and rust.

Serviced this bitch and Rob was chuffed it was tensioned right on the test run. :lol:

The Mamba tee to fit both the pressure sensors for stock and the gauge.

Back together.

FTO sandwich plate and clutch kit on.

Gearbox on.

Brake distribution block/prop valve relocated and lines redone. Just a couple fittings to do.

Rob's been looking at the wiring today, will likely splice things from the VR4 loom into the FTO one. Need some longer bolts for the Evo 6 steering rack since it mounts differently.

Another thing that we'll probably do is use a front housing of the rear turbo with the associated wastegate actuator rod. Rod will need to be lengthened and a few washers and a longer bolt for one mount point, but as an alternative to making a bracket it could be a relatively simple fix.

Next week should hopefully see this in the bay. :bounce:

Image Image Image Image
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Very nice, they really are so similar to 6A12s in look, seeing the belt and water pump giving me a bit of PTSD lmao.

Can't wait to see more posts and it finished.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

mezje wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:34 pm Very nice, they really are so similar to 6A12s in look, seeing the belt and water pump giving me a bit of PTSD lmao.

Can't wait to see more posts and it finished.
Just a big GR engine with some turbos :lol:

Got the brakes preliminarily bled this afternoon, no leaks from the new hard lines so that's sweet. Rounded nut on the passenger rear meant we couldn't get the new HEL line on, will have to take to a shop to get sorted later, but it's still braided at least.
Image Image Image Image
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

Nice work man, gonna be sweet. For the brake line, me and Matt had to buy a “stillsons” to get rounded nuts off when we worked on his car..
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Fuckn stillsons. Haha
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Sahin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:03 am Nice work man, gonna be sweet. For the brake line, me and Matt had to buy a “stillsons” to get rounded nuts off when we worked on his car..
Yeah, a bit too much f**king around for Rob to do while he was here. Just had enough time to do everything important. :lol:

Man, that week just flew by. I'll try to keep it concise.

Unlike the FTO, the Evo 6 rack doesn't have a bush and clamp on the pinion side, it just bolts straight through the rack itself. We grabbed the bolts we needed for that, & for extending the actuator rod, as well as washers for the same and also spacing down the gearbox side for like $10. (Annoyingly didn't get new tie rod ends with the reco'd rack, so had to grab a couple off eBay. Glad I negotiated a slightly better price even more now lol)

Got 3/4 of these on.

Secured the loosest brake line with some nutserts and these handy clips.

Wrapped the new shifter cables in DEI titanium heat wrap.

Here was the first prototype for the rear-compressor-housing-on-front-turbo mod. As you can see the bolting points for the actuator bracket are mostly the same except that they require some washers and a longer bolt to secure it to the housing. Rob bent the rod where it needed to go, and then we had the rod extended. I think we asked for 45mm, but it ended up being slightly too long and was too loose. So we used a nut in place of some washers and moved them across to bring the actuator a little further back again.

Note: getting the oil and coolant lines for the turbos bolted on while the turbos are still connected to the car is a nightmare lol.

New paper gasket for the compressor housing since the old one disintegrated after removal.

This fucker in the bay.

Firewall doesn't need touching for the rear turbo to clear, but it is squeezy around there. As others have already confirmed, rear dump is useless due to interference with the rack. I'm going to be having a custom piece made up. (pray for the fab guy)

And how the front turbo sits.

The high pressure P/S line that we had made up. Labour was fuckn expensive but the shop was nearby and since we needed to go back and forth three times it was a better alternative to driving up to the other side of the city.

And how she sits. Nice and away from everything else.

Mishimoto thermo fans in. Need to get a switch done as the VR4 usually has a controller in the bay, and in its absence they are switched on 24/7. Better than the alternative but not ideal.

And basically all plumbed up and fluids in. Those on facey will have seen the start-up vid. Conveniently the other Rob I got the airbox off sent the intake pipe as well, which I didn't think I would require, but for getting the air from the MAF to the TB has proved to be useful. Will roll it down the drive and then it'll run enough to get into the street and on to the tow truck.

Fingers crossed for smooth sailing once all the piping is done up!

For those curious, counting labour from VecTec and an estimated cost for intercooler and exhaust piping, the grand total comes to about $9278 from what I've been keeping track of.