Bennoz Supercharged GR project

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EURO
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by EURO »

POLISH IT! nothing nicer then a nice shiny engine bay...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Polished it is! I was already leaning that way.... :D
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

EURO wrote:POLISH IT! nothing nicer then a nice shiny engine bay...
It ought to add at least another 50kw at the wheels.
LED ALL the things.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Supplanter wrote:
EURO wrote:POLISH IT! nothing nicer then a nice shiny engine bay...
It ought to add at least another 50kw at the wheels.
And thinking about it, polishing it will remove metal... less weight! :D
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Don’t polish!
Just get it in, so we get the results earlier!
I need more lowdown power to copy a project from!

When will be the testing started?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well u can ceramic coat it, so there will be less heat in your engine bay and it kinda look polish too.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Initial sizing up has releaved some major space issues lol. It may well be being tucked up under the rear exhaust manifold with some heat sheilding... so im not gonna do a damn thing with the finish on it! :lol:
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Bennoz wrote::D

Clicky > Eaton M62

And we are back in the game 8) Right price too!
Hey Ben, you told me to look for a M45 or a M60 lol but I see that's a M62 :?

Does that mean that fits as well?
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

lols ben just said theres size issues foool! read before you post newb..!!!

not even your safe from me... haw haw
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

hahah diked!

so does that mean the m62 is too big or not i didnt exactly understand :x
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

READ :!: :!: :!:
Bennoz wrote:Initial sizing up has releaved some major space issues lol. It may well be being tucked up under the rear exhaust manifold with some heat sheilding... so im not gonna do a damn thing with the finish on it! :lol:
lol, damn kids these days :twisted:
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

ok i got owned lol.. :x
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

glad i can help lol

back on topic, so... what u doing with it now bennoz?
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Couple more weeks and he should be well on his way in getting his car supercharged! 8) (Or so he told me on the cruise)

Monster GR!! He'll be wiping a few smiles off a few cocky faces and in turn his head will swell bigger :lol: lol jk but damn I'm excited for u ben! :twisted:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Another update :)

Ok, sizing was not terribly successful & I have another planning session next Thursday. This is what we came up with last time. I had the 'heavies' in during this session - My mechanic, an engineer & a machinist.

We are going to cut the manifold up. The blower will be dropped in where the current plenum & intake runner setup is. We are hoping this will alleviate the need for a bonnet scoop. We need to cut it across on a semi circular swoop to encourage the air flow not to be 'overfeeding' the centre cylinders. If we were to cut straight across & just fabricate piping to run straight into the blower mouth, then cylinders 2 & 4 would run rich. So we need to create almost a plenum chamber scenario as you can see by the proposed design.

The intake end of the blower is on the far right of it - this is going to be machined off so the air inlet sucks in from the side. From there we are able to mount the throttle body on the side of it.

With the blower being centered as above you can see the pulley wheel is not close enough to the belt pulleys. I will have to buy a longer snout for the unit (they are available.) Lining up the pulleys with the available snout lengths will dictate exactly where the blower will need to be mounted up to the manifold. We are going to size it all so that we use the snout that gives the blower its most central location in relation to the proposed inlet manifold.

It looks like my Unichip will not be upto the job, so it may well be up for sale soon. We're still looking in other management chips that will be ok. Current fuel system should be fine. As the blower delivers most of its power in the mid-low range, the injectors will compensate for the extra air by opening up longer at low rpm as if the motor was at high rpm.
Hobbsie
Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

jus get a big ugly wrx style bonnet scoop :D

keep up the good work ben.. go the red GRs!
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

I have never seen such a design before, not that I was looking for or know much about intake systems anyways....
Just for the information, do you any sample photos of some other projects done the same way of cutting the plenum?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Here are some other examples where the factory intake has been gutted & the blower mounted ontop:

Most blown motors dont have any sort of plenum thou...and this is the most efficient way to do it. Ie the big V8's - the blower sits straight ontop of the motor, blowing directly into the chambers in the heads (sometimes using a very short manifold)

Other types of setups on small cars have had the blower mounted externally & having the blower outlet plumbed directly into the throttle body.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

Can't wait to see it finished, what type of ECU will you be using, stand alone or still sticking to a piggy back type.
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Ben,
I hope when you succesfully finished with this project, you will not tell me I cant copy it, because my engine is Mivec,
Do something that will help us all please :D