Bennoz Supercharged GR project

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Bennoz Supercharged GR project

Post by Bennoz »

Ok folks, I've talked about it here and there in bits - I may as well give you the full run down.

As you can guess Im putting a blower onto an FTO motor...
Main reasons why I didn't go turbo:
10-15k to get it done right
No-one has sucessfully done supercharging before (without explosion!)
I think this can be done to within a sensible budget - and I beleive this can be blueprinted & kit made.

Some of you may have read about a prior explosion I had doing this... Yes, And No, I dont want to talk about it ($$$ :evil: $$$$ :evil: $$$) Wrong calculations resulted in FAR too much poundage.... Destroyed every conceivable peice of engine.

So, I'll give you a run down - the unit Im using is a Swedish made Opcon Autorotor 2087. Here are the specs on it (currently being organised by Sprintex in WA.)

Displacement 0.87 Litres / 53 Cubic Inches / revolution
Max Air Flow 215 Litres / second; 460 Cubic Feet / min
Dimension Lenght: 245mm; Width: 157mm; Height: 103mm

Suited for engines producing upto 250kw

The unit will look very similar to this:

And here's a nifty blower calculator tool for those sizing one up for themselves: http://www.sprintex.com.au/BlowerCalcul ... ulator.xls

Plan A:
The unit is being bolted onto a 6A12 NON MIVEC engine which is coming from QLD (thanks Jeff!) As you may or may not know a supercharger is a belt driven device, unlike a turbo which run off gases. Therefore the unit needs to be mounted with the pulley end inline with the existing pulley system of the FTO. So it will sit just infront of the inlet manifold horizontally. I'll have to pull of the existing harmonic balance pulley & weld the supercharger drive pulley onto it, then have it re-balanced.

The piping will then be fabricated - inlet (with pod filter) into the unit, the outlet then plumbed into the intake manifold. The intake manifold will be basically gutted (the runners etc) all come out. The beauty of all this is that my nice RPW extractors remain untouched!

The amount of poundage is governed by the size of the pulley on the supercharger. The smaller the pulley the more poundage (think push bike gears on the rear wheel) First run we will be running no more than 5 psi.

Fuel air is mix is governed by a piggyback Unichip, Malpassi FPR & some minor fuel rails mods.

Estimated output of Plan A is about 180kw - but more importantly approx 320 Nm of torque (Remember - In Engineering terms - torque is the ability to accelerate - NOT Kw's.)

The above combo would make a suitable kit for sale around the 4k mark.
Plus install of maybe 2k.

Plan B (Hehehe :twisted: )
Same as Plan A but.... the block comes apart.
Heads go to RAMS head service in Windsor - to be polished and oversize valves put in (no porting as we want the air to remain dense & cold through smaller ports.) The block goes off to have the crank wedged & nitrided. The rods get sent to PAR Engineering to have billet units made & billet flywheel done. Motor is then blueprinted & reassembled.

A Water to air intercooler installed and the charger is then wound up to 15 + Psi. Big injectors go in with bigger capacity fuel pump.

But thats the 15 grand version....

Issues still to be resolved with both Plan A & B:
Diff - still looking into LSD which will be a must
Bonnet mods - We THINK it'll fit... wont know till the lid goes down
Brakes - may need a visit to UAS for that kit...
Engineering - hopefully all my mates I went to uni with are still in the Mechanical Engineering industry!

Sticking with Plan A to start with, this should take me about 4-5 months to get running. As soon as I have some piccies of interest I'll post them up. Feel free to ask any questions, cause Im bound to have left half of it out of this post.
Last edited by Bennoz on Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

No-one has sucessfully done supercharging before (without explosion!)
I was told yesterday, by a formal member "BASS" that his friend is running a 5psi supercharged FTO for a while.

I also was told that his mate FTO is also running an adjustable cam pully, with bigger injectors, full exhaust, CAI, new gasket, different ECU.

Now i don't know how much of these are true, but hey i'm trying to find out as much as possible when i see him online. Ohhh you NSW members that know him, can drill him hehhehe
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Guys at Sprintex were telling me they got 440 odd Nm of torque out of a Magna with re-mapped stock ECU and 5 psi! 8O
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Holly crap, thats like bunny hop all day long.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

magnas are 3.5L.

they have 250-300 nm in standard stock.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmm depends on which magna his talking about, they do start from 4 cylinders 2.5 to 3.0/3.5L V6
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Was an all wheel drive VRX - 3.5L
225KW @ 5250
422NM @ 4100

Runs on premo & is a daily driver... or perhaps a daily 'stump puller' :lol:
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

well all the best to you, if it works we all know who to look for :D
p13nox
Apprentice

Post by p13nox »

Sounds like a great project! Its about time more FTOs were forced fed! The Honda people have been doing it for years!

Good luck and keep us updated.

See ya in the red Lion :D
mr_bishi
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_bishi »

Have you seen these guys? http://www.ripmods.com their charger kits for the Mitsi v6 engines look so close to fitting the fto it's painfull!
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,mr-dot-bishi.png[/img][/url]
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

But what about us with MIVEC engines? Suppose it is going to be the best of both worlds - power/torque down low, and then the MIVEC top end. Would only need low PSI to make all the diff.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've thought about the mivec version - it probably would work ok, but yeah, you may have to reduce the poundage a little. Especially the fact that the high range cams have quite a bit of lift & a disitinctive profile, where-as forced induction works best with less lift & more duration on the open cycle of the cam.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Thought I'd move this into the TWG - use this section for what its designed for.
FTOLeo

Post by FTOLeo »

any updates on this project? Looks promising :D
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Come on benny keep us updated!
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ok, the motor I had lined up was stolen & my charger is sitting on the docks in Perth waiting for our fabulous wharfies & their wizz bang computer system to clear the back log...

With the expense of christmas coming, I dont reckon much will happen till the new year.

Unless of course I get the charger rocking up at my door sometime soon... then I wont be able to help myself :lol:
p13nox
Apprentice

Post by p13nox »

have you seen http://www.rippmods.com/ ?

The look like they would be close to fitting the FTO. I wish I had the cash to play around with a charger!
mr_bishi
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_bishi »

p13nox wrote:have you seen http://www.rippmods.com/ ?

The look like they would be close to fitting the FTO. I wish I had the cash to play around with a charger!
Too slow!! :lol:
mr_bishi wrote:Have you seen these guys? http://www.ripmods.com their charger kits for the Mitsi v6 engines look so close to fitting the fto it's painfull!
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,mr-dot-bishi.png[/img][/url]
p13nox
Apprentice

Post by p13nox »

lol and i've read this thread like...three or four times.

Damn you Mr fishi! :P

It does look close though! I was talking to the engineers here and they are sure it could be made to fit quite easily....
Mitsiman
Approved FTO Australia Trader

Post by Mitsiman »

Great to see what you are planning.

We wlooked at doing a similiar thing with a similiar form of Supercharger, the only thing I would recomend is we were going to use a water / air intercooler and place it between teh blower and the manifold so that we had an intercooled system as well.

Still got the blower (The one I have here is an eaton MP62) which woudl have been perfect for hte little 2.0 engine.

Still got it here if someone wants to be a test guinea in WA for reduced costings.

Either way let me know how you go with it - very interestd in the results.

If you are looking for some supercharger specific cams in the future also can help you there as well.