Bennoz Supercharged GR project

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

bigpitty1 wrote:Can't wait to see it finished, what type of ECU will you be using, stand alone or still sticking to a piggy back type.
Still going with a piggy back type. We are currently investigating an Autronic unit that looks like it will do the job:

http://www.autronic.com/page_files/sm4_kit.htm
mxysxy wrote:Ben,
I hope when you succesfully finished with this project, you will not tell me I cant copy it, because my engine is Mivec,
Do something that will help us all please :D
I see no reason why this couldnt be adapted to a mivec engine. The only differences will be the intake manifold (mivec itake is slightly different to non mivec) and the tune :wink:
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

i dunno if this helps,
but autotronic is near finishing their piggy for the evoIX which has mivec...
the guy from autotronics frequent visit the evo forum and u can ask him questions too!
past ride : FTO gpx with lots of bling bling
Current ride: EVO 8 with the MOST CARBON IN AUSTRALIA....206KW AT ALL WHEELS
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Update!

Sizing has now finished & here is the final plan for the install:

We have flow tested the blower to find what direction the air from the blower is pushed. As you can see by the blue arrows, it comes out straight & left (primarily due to the V shaped outlet on the base of the unit.)

As such we are mounting the unit to the far right of the manifold. The manifold will then be cut with the curve up to the left. The left section will also have a plenum type air box incorporated into the design. This is all to ensure all cylinders a equally well fed.

This has also lead to the requirement of a longer snout on the blower (270mm from base of the plate to the end of the pulley.) Im having it made up this week.

The inlet opening will be plated off & a hole machined through the back of the blower - the TB will then be bolted directly over the hole.

As the shaft dictates the exact mounting position of the blower (due to the pulley line up with existing pulleys) once the snout extension gets down to the shop we enter the CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) phase. The inlet manifold as a whole will be drawn up, then fabrication will begin. Hopefully by end of next week :D
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

nice ben!
looks like its gona be a monster !!!
cant wait to see it on the track when u're done!
love to see FTOs flying through laps at wakefield!
past ride : FTO gpx with lots of bling bling
Current ride: EVO 8 with the MOST CARBON IN AUSTRALIA....206KW AT ALL WHEELS
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Its gonna have a rather unique noise too! That high pitched blower 'whine' :D
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Ben im so excited and jelous, u have done some awesome work and the fact your sharing all this knowledge with us is fantastic. Just a quick couple of questions, am right in believing that if i was to do this i could keep my tip box and do u know anyone up in gold coast/brisbane that i could talk to that would be able to tackle a task like this (thats if u dont wanna come up to gold coast for a semi vaction :D, u could bring the car with u :D its a nice drive lol)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Ben, I am very jelous (sp) of this project but one thing springs to mind. Is there a specific reason you didn't want to make up an inlet manifold to let the blower sit right atop the engine? It would look so cool just sitting there between the banks.

Arashi
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I8AFRE wrote:Ben im so excited and jelous, u have done some awesome work and the fact your sharing all this knowledge with us is fantastic. Just a quick couple of questions, am right in believing that if i was to do this i could keep my tip box and do u know anyone up in gold coast/brisbane that i could talk to that would be able to tackle a task like this (thats if u dont wanna come up to gold coast for a semi vaction :D, u could bring the car with u :D its a nice drive lol)
LOL

I cant see why you couldnt keep the tip box. Just need to ensure its in good nic & running the right oils.

I'd be talking to Jeff (who's got the 6A13 conversion up there) The workshop he had his done in folded in a very dodgy middle of the night manner, but he'd have to be going somewhere to get it tuned....

QLD has just about as many performance workshops as VIC does, just have a flick through the yellow pages & make some calls. Alternatively go out to some big horsepower meets... like a street meet at Willowbank or something.

If you can wait till early next year (when I plan to finish this) we should have the kit package available. All you need to do is find your own blower!
Storm wrote:Ben, I am very jelous (sp) of this project but one thing springs to mind. Is there a specific reason you didn't want to make up an inlet manifold to let the blower sit right atop the engine? It would look so cool just sitting there between the banks.

Arashi
Good question. The main reason we didn't go that way was again due to air flow. In order to spread the flow into all 6 cylinders equally from the small square outlet of the blower to 6 ports in the lower manifold, would have required quite a long manifold (height wise) and it would have pushed the blower well & truly out past the bonnet line....

I didn't fancy having a tower of steel hanging outta the bonnet. Especially when its sideways compared to a real V8 blower setup lol. Also the legalities that would involve getting round as well was a problem :wink:

If GM or Weiand made a blower like the V8 units that have the outlet side running the length of the motor, but smaller to suit say a 6A12, I would have bought one... but alas no such blower exists.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

i don't know why but i feel like this is a stupid question.. but i'm curious about it anyway.

would forged pistons and rods be needed to ensure a stronger and longer engine life..? i read somewhere a while back, when throwing in all that extra power it's recommended to have forged pistons and rods to keep the engine going without problems?
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Im only pumping in 5 pounds... not 25 :wink:
boarsai
Mechanic

Post by boarsai »

I have been wondering what to do to my car... (just bought an FTO) and you say you might have a kit available early next year? I'm going to have to start saving my pennies. This looks like just the ticket. Nice work.

You're going to have to upload some wav/mp3's of this engines purr (or whine as it were) :twisted:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

Looks like this projects comming along nicely, cant wait for the results
If you need help making the hole for the supercharger, you could always try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOghb3JbDA
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

G_A_V wrote:Looks like this projects comming along nicely, cant wait for the results
If you need help making the hole for the supercharger, you could always try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOghb3JbDA
lol making a hole for the supercharger?
more like "supercharging" a hole in your manifold :P
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

hey ben u havn't replied to my pm :? so i'll just ask here, how's the project coming along :wink:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

No updates so far this year mate. Still waiting on my snout extension, but my brakes arrived today :D So I have no money :( lol
akuma3
Oldtimer

Post by akuma3 »

and we need one for MIVEC too bennoz lol :twisted:
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/79682123.png[/img]
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

ah ok nvm then :)

hey btw, i remember u saying there maybe a need for a bonnet scoop, is that still the case? im assuming that's what u mean by "snout" (but i'm known to be a dumb ass so just asking to be sure)
cos im thinking about a fibreglass bonnet, but if it has to be modified than ill keep my stock one for now :wink:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The aim is not to have any bonnet protrusions at all if possible!
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

nice :D

just the answer i was hoping for 8)
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

sublime19 wrote:nice :D

just the answer i was hoping for 8)
hold your horses subbie,
if possible
judging by how every single project i've read about on this forum... it seems nothing turns out as one planned lol