Turbo Questions

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

RedlineGX
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbo Questions

Post by RedlineGX »

Hi pplz....
Thinking about charging my FTO and got a couple questions...

1) Can stock injectors cope with a max of 6psi of boost?
2) What different sparkplugs will I need for a turbo application
3) Is it necessary to reduce compression to safely run 6psi?

Assume I have a FPR, upgraded fuel pump and decent piggy back comp.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Hey Redline,
Stock injectors are only 166cc.... even though they are only running at 60% capacity under full load normally, You'll probably need to up them for turbo application. FNTSY may be able to help you with that question.

Sparkplugs unsure :?

6psi should be okay with stock compression, thats not too much.
I blew a block to peices, including head gaskets, when pumping in too much poundage from a supercharger. Some incorrect calculations on pulley ratios lead to 8 seconds with 35psi 8O BOOM!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Mikey & W.R are both running around 6-7psi & they don't have a problem with both stock injectors & spark plugs.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Wow surprised it lasted that long on 35psi 8O Must've been a real fun 8 seconds though :lol:

Yeah I was hoping the stock injectors would be enough with the right pump and regulator. Wouldnt be going above 6psi for sure unless I upgraded them.

Do you know if they have stock head gasket too?
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

would be wise to up the injectors though.. from what i recall from reading somewhere FNTSY had 290cc's. I don't think you'd have to go that high but that may also be due to the setup that he had. FTO338 - they'd definitely be pushing their injectors to the limits which is ok if it's been tuned, but would definitely prefer the safety of having a little bit more headroom.

after all, you can do things such as FPR and ECU, but ultimately the injectors are the ones that pump the fuel out. you could even look into modifying the stock injectors to high flow them.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Yeah was thinking the same thing. Problem was I cant seem to locate a nice set of injectors, new or used that arent too large for the application. I figure 220cc should be enough altho 290 would be ok as well. Anyone know any other vehicles that can work back or where I can get from?
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

i was thinking, do the GTO injectors fit? coz they would be of a higher flow rate as the engine has a larger capacity plus it's twin-turboed as well. might be worth investigating if you're looking for cheap higher flowing injectors. you could probably pick some up second hand from somebody that owns one and has already swapped out their injectors.
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

I'm running the stock injectors at 7psi.
Although it does have an additional injector just before the inlet manifold, which keeps things nice and juicy.

..if a little thirsty 8O

WR
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Ok so u have that set to come on at certain boost? Only problem is i heard they make the closer cyclinders run more rich than the further ones and can eventually result in problems altho dont know if this is true. Got to figure out how to get my emanage to use another injector. :? What size is your extra injector?
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

if i recall correctly, the e-manage needs and add-on plug that will control the extra injector. however, with a turbo setup like this i'd probably go a whole aftermarket ECU rather than a piggyback unit.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

I would agree if I was planning on pushing more boost but I'm confident the emanage is more than enough for 6psi. The key is getting it tuned properly.

I know someone who is running 4psi on standard comp with just a SAFC or something. Thats crazy but he seems to be getting away with it.
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

stock ecu with boost 8O come i think come summertime he may be regretting that.. but if he's been running that and it's been tuned etc, i guess the stock ecu is capable of making it quite rich at the top end.

have you also thought about fuel pump? i'm not sure what the flow rate is on the FTO fuel pumps, but if it's pretty poor flowing you'll need a beefier fuel pump as well.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Yep a bit crazy IMO.
Already have an upgraded Evo8 pump in the car so not worried about that. Stock I believe the FTO has at least 40-50% efficieny left in the whole fuel system before you have to change anything so was hoping basically that with a better pump and slightly higher pressure and new filter that I could keep standard fuel parts and not have to worry too much.

I think eventually I will get bigger injectors but just wanted to know if standard ones would cope for a while.
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

I think that they might be ok, but to be on the safe side, the extra injector idea sounds pretty good. if you have a look on autospeed they had a feature car which was a turbo FTO and it's setup also had an extra injector. that must tell you something :wink:
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

If your refering to the autospeed "Lucky Find" story, I think that may actually be my girl.

It's had the engine replaced since then and numerous other cosmetic changes, but it sure as hell looks like her.

Looks like Craig Dean is still running Crossover, so I might pop down and say hello.

Do you have access to the rest of the article ahew?

WR
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Scracy still got the original artical on it, so maybe you can ask him W.R. & yes is what you got now.

When Scracy brought it, he changed the creative bonnet & the Kaze wings (which is on mikey's car now) to stock unit, & he did have a different setup then the artical, which was professionally rebuild by AVO, & also a tougher tip box.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

no need.. here's the link:

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0742/cms/article.html

and here's one of their review of the FTO if anybody is interested :)

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0841/cms/article.html
ahew
Grease Monkey

Post by ahew »

so.. what's the story... who own's this car now? i'm interested in knowing what's been done to it since.
WildRide
Grease Monkey

Post by WildRide »

The link only allows you through to the first page of the article unless you regi$ter :(

I suspect the first owner after Craig would have been Peter Scrace (aka Scracy around here), and I brought it off him in Feb.

If it is the same car then it's had Project-F tail lights installed, the rims polished personalised plates, possibly a new bonnet :s ... oh yeah and a complete engine and turbo replacement.

I belive it was a bust oil line :(

Can't tell without interiour shots whats been done inside since those photos.

Tis way cool finding out about the history of your car :D

WR
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

so.. what's the story... who own's this car now? i'm interested in knowing what's been done to it since
Scracy was the first owner in OZ, & now W.R had brought it off him.
Unless you a subscriber of autospeed, you can't get access to the full article :wink: