FTO Turbo Project - PICS **UPDATED

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

RedlineGX
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO Turbo Project - PICS **UPDATED

Post by RedlineGX »

Hey guys and gals....got my project more or less on the coming to completion side...at least from a mounting standpoint. Up pipes and downpipes should be fitted 2morrow but gave me hell because of having ABS the space is very restrictive. Anyway here are some pics of them before they go on the car..

The uppipe is basically RPW downpipe/hacked and a couple pieces added on.

So far I have

Turbo
Intercooler (big 24x8x3)
Silicon Bends for intercooler piping
HKS BOV
5.8psi TurboXS Wastegate
Standard Injectors (should cope for the time being)
Greddy e-manage installed and waiting to be tuned
Oil Lines for turbo feed and return
Exhaust piping as shown.
Getting top piping on exhaust heat wrapped 2morrow and sump tapped for oil return.

Trying to find out maxximum pressure capability of the MAF sensor so I can know if to run it as a blow through instead of suck through setup..
Last edited by RedlineGX on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthQLDFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by NorthQLDFTO »

:? Okay... So why is it that so many people say that turboing the FTO is a big pain in the arse project (with engine swaps being a popular solution) yet Redline here seems to be doing fine with his turbo set up so far!?!
If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>" Well... Then... I'd... Have A Dollar For Every Time Somone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>"!!!
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Because he's doing the sensible thing and running a relatively small turbo setup, on a non-mivec to boot. Makes things a lot simpler when you're not doing fuel pumps, injectors, battery relocation and such.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
BuCkEt
Oldtimer

Post by BuCkEt »

The fact it's a GR makes things a helluva lot different. You don't have the MIVEC to worry about.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

maybe peoples should swap their gpx engines with GR's haha :)
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Even better, get a GS... the 1.8L 4 cylinder engine will give you plenty of room under the bonnet ;)
LED ALL the things.
BuCkEt
Oldtimer

Post by BuCkEt »

Pffft, I dunno, there's just something so incredibly awesome about making power without FI.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

yeh but u would rather a turbo GR then GS???? turbo charging a v6 2litre then a 4cyl 1.8?

i love turbos bucket :) love what your doing too.... but id rather a evo 9 then a holden v8 :)
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Oh yeah I do have an upgraded pump but it wasnt because of the turbo project...
Really though I think generally people make a bigger deal out of it than it really is.
Before I converted to manual everyone was telling me how much of a headachee blah blah....mechanic did it in 5 hours including a custom mount.

This hasnt cost me near what I see people claiming it will either, and altho in theory i havent got it running yet it should/will work once everything goes according to plan :lol:

Heres an overestimated breakdown of what I have spent in US dollars not including shipping + tax where applicable. Most stuff i got locally though. a lot of it i had been accumulating over time as well....like emanage and FPR and pump.

Fuel Pressure Regulator - $150
Used but still new intercooler - $350 bought locally,.
6 Silicone bends $275
Wastegate - $100
Used but excellent Turbo & flanges - $350 - great price 8)
Boost & Oil Press. gauge - $120
Used but working emanage with harnesses - $400
Installation of emanage by friend - $100
Custom downpipes and uppipes - $450(did a lot of work myself here though)
Fuel pump(prob. not necessary) - $150
Intercooler piping - $200
Misc, like heat wrap, brass fittings, oil lines etc - $150
Used but newish HKS SSQ BOV - $175
Tuning emanage when done - $400

Total cost - 3375

Of course i'm not saying that it will cost that for everyone cause I did most of the labour myself and got a lot of breaks but still...I've seen people talking about spending 2-3 times that easily and I dont see how even with extra parts like injectors.? Maybe I will find out later? :?

Also have a friend here who has the VR4 engine conversion done and working successfully beating evo8s etc...got a ride today and the car feels insane on just 8psi. Took him 2 weeks for conversion.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Oh yeah almost forgot ... battery in the boot...

New Battery tray - $15
8ft. or so of 2 or 4 gauge wire - $15
distributor block to connect everything - $15
Works great...altho I just found out my alternator picked now of all times to die on me :evil:
NorthQLDFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by NorthQLDFTO »

Don't mean to go off topic here but could you supply some specifics of the VR4 engine conversion...

Also interested in your own progress cause I have a GR (no MIVEC to bugger up the turbo!) And a turbo is something I've been considering since buying the car...
If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>" Well... Then... I'd... Have A Dollar For Every Time Somone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>"!!!
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Well dont know much about the install of the VR4 itself but honestly I would go with low psi turbo with standard compression. The VR4 engine is a tight fit and you have a lot more variables etc., also harder to work on later. If you're after a lot of power the VR4 has more potential but let me tell you the fto on standard compression at 6psi aint no piece of cake either. IMO more than enough to keep me happy.

I;'ll keep you posted with progrss on the turbo though with more pics and a kinda step by step for those interested. GR's will dominate :twisted: :lol:
NorthQLDFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by NorthQLDFTO »

:twisted: VERY interested... About time us GR's showed the MIVEC's a thing or two! :D
BuCkEt
Oldtimer

Post by BuCkEt »

MIVEC 4 Lyfe yo!

Hehe, your GR's may end up faster, but you still won't have that eargasmic MIVEC roar! :D
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

Hope things with this turbo project go well, but all of this should be as easy to do on a MIVEC, its pretty similar under the bonnet except MIVEC don't have a MAF sensor and other stuff.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

NorthQLDFTO wrote::twisted: VERY interested... About time us GR's showed the MIVEC's a thing or two! :D
We do already :twisted:
BuCkEt
Oldtimer

Post by BuCkEt »

Bennoz wrote:
NorthQLDFTO wrote::twisted: VERY interested... About time us GR's showed the MIVEC's a thing or two! :D
Hahaha, even GR's can smoke 'em up!

Mac Pass aiy Ben? :lol:

Not fair though in your case, RalliArt have had a tinker with your machine :evil:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

BuCkEt wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
Hahaha, even GR's can smoke 'em up!

Mac Pass aiy Ben? :lol:

Not fair though in your case, RalliArt have had a tinker with your machine :evil:
LOL

shhhhh, we're not suppose to talk about those types of driving techniques on a public forum :P
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

its OK to smoke that tyres at a test n tune or something in a controled environment.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

yeah its quite easy to say gr's r better than gpx's when youve got a turbo bolted onto it!

flag, im gonna stay non turbo, petrol costs too much.... but give it 6 months and ill prob change my mind.... i was acctually thinking of the older 2L vr4 engines instead of the 6A13TT's that are a tight fit... dont you have to remove part of your firewall to fit this in???

GPX... the X is cause it X's GR's 8)