FTO Turbo Project - PICS **UPDATED

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bigpitty1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by bigpitty1 »

Does a Mitsubishi Legnum have the 6a13, because I seen a few half cuts for $3500 a while ago.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Ok got everything more or less finished up yesterday. Just a few things left like tidying up the wires and vaccuum hoses etc. and the uppipe needs a gasket since its leaking air and causing the turbo to spool a little later than it should. However i turned up the fuel pressure and took it for a little drive and everything is working great but cant really push it till i get it tuned after Christmas.

Here are some more pics...

Oil Return Tap on Oil Pan

Oil Return Line

Oil Feed Line

FMIC

Down Pipe to Muffler

Engine Bay

Turbo

Interior
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I can't see any of the pictures, I really wanted to see them.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

It looks like his website is down, so no pics until it is working again :roll:
LED ALL the things.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Hmmm....strange, try reloading cause they're working for me.... let me know if you have any trouble and I will re-upload them on my other server.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

nope, still can't see them.
NorthQLDFTO
Grease Monkey

Post by NorthQLDFTO »

I can see the pics fine! Looks awesome buddy! Keep us posted on your progress...

I am SO doing this now!!!

:twisted:
If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>" Well... Then... I'd... Have A Dollar For Every Time Somone Said "If I Had A Dollar For Every Time Someone Said <...>"!!!
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

dude thats very very hot!

its off the hizzle for schizzle my dizzle
mr_bishi
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_bishi »

That looks bloody great mate......a nice neat installation 8)

By the looks of it you've used the rpw's too.....good work!

What boost gauge have you used? I can't seem to find one that reads less than 20 psi :roll:
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,mr-dot-bishi.png[/img][/url]
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Thanks guys, from the time I got all the parts to the time it was rolling was exactly 6 days working about 6 hours a day. Mostly just me with an occasional hand fitting stuff but you will need a ramp to get that done. 80% off that time was spent fabricating the pipes. I would reccommend getting the rpw pipes since it makes the uppipe a lot easier and also improves flow to the turbo. I also got the thermal gasket for the intake manifold and bored out 65mm TB at the same time.

It's really not that hard people. Before I started this I wasnt even very familiar with the workings of turbos etc altho I would consider myself mechanically minded, but I still got through quite easily and it really hasnt cost that much.

You wont find many boost gauges with less that 20psi most read to 30. I'm using an autometer phantom series one to match back with the white dials.

Going to get it tuned soon, should be great. I pushed it once to see if the wastegate was working and even though it was running lean it felt great, but cant afford to do that again.

Got to take back off the turbo though cause the gasket for the uppipe is leaking a bit so need to get another one or fabrcate one cause that will def hurt performance a bit.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

hey, today I can see the pictures, that is so sweet I can't wait till you get it tuned and see what it can really do.
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Yep me2 :lol:
Should be interesting.
FTored
Apprentice

Post by FTored »

Very nice mate. And clean. Your interior looks very good. Can you tell me what colour you used for spraying the console? I know it is red but it is very nice.. It's been a while i want to paint it red. Keep up the good work.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Wow, good stuff, i look forward to seeing you on a few magazines, i had a mate bored a 6A13TT to 1.9L it was amazing.

having sed that its a shame your dump pipes have such an awkward turn on them rekon you might lose a KW or 2 for that?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

very nice

Good to see another turbo FTO

Very Nice clean install, Well done

What computer are you running
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Thanks...
Running a Greddy Emanage right now.
Got it tuned the other day and its working great, no problems so far.
Car feels great when boost kicks in. I would love to get some forged internals and up it to about 12 psi...
If not for the price of forgies... :evil:

We dont have a strip down here so I'll have to g-tech it ad see what it does.
mr_bishi
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_bishi »

SchumieFan wrote:i had a mate bored a 6A13TT to 1.9L it was amazing.
6a13s are 2.5 litres :?
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,mr-dot-bishi.png[/img][/url]
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Maybe he meant 2.9? That would feel pretty good.

Was wondering if anyone knew how much pressure the crankshaft could take safely? I know you can get forged pistons and connecting rods but surely the crank would need improving as well to make it worth it.

I've heard stories of people daily pushing 10 pounds of boost safely through with stock internals and no issues once the tuning was done properly and adequate cooling, i.e. water injection, good size I/C with boost sensitive direct water nozzle spray onto it(which i am getting soon since the greddy can control :lol:), and oil cooler.

Anyone else heard of this?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

i been running 20lb in my 6A13 for over a year now with argo rods and ross pistons. It is still holding togeather. I had the crank shotpeened and balanced. The crank has been nitrided from the factory and is very strong. Haven't heard of one breakinh yet.
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

yeah i meant 2.9

http://www.cardomain.com/id/legnumvr4

its a bit old