Sam's Turbo Setup progress **FINISHED INSTALL** pics

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FtoSam »

The best same size turbo is a GT-2871r which is good for about 320hp...

So upgrade to 71r = $1,800 if i shop it right plus $300 for a tune = 320hp (Say 50hp extra)
Upgrade to 35 series turbo = $5k inc piping, and turbo and tune = 450-500hp.... (Say 200hp extra)

I know if i go the 71r its going to be nice and easy(er)... but going to a bigger turbo means i can upgrade my pipes (they're small anyway) and get 4 times the gain...

Im thinking long term as far as i know if i go the 71r im going to want more power later on... and the 71r is the turbo all the SR20 guys use for big power...

If i get something bigger than the usual, then i should be able to pull better numbers then them...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah fully, i was really only thinking about the lag side of things, not really the power. Good luck
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

YEah, that is one thing im being carefull of... trying to pick something with as little lag as possible...

mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

your machine is going to be a beast when you get it back all tuned up with the teething probs sorted out..

I think drive it for a few months - a year or so & see how you like it.. should be powerful enough the way it is 8)

Just think of the cost of rubber ;)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Tuner said tomorow is looking promising...

Ended up getting the Microtec sent off to the factory to be customised... whatever that means...

He said i should be right to pick it up tomorow...

We shall see if that happens though

FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

wow.... got it back this arvo....

Much more power, and a lot smoother too...

About the same amount of wheelspin, but because the power is smoother its only doing the same sort of wheelspin, despite being quicker...

i.e. in the dry, all through 1st and start of 2nd... then at 80km/h it spins again in 2nd, then 3rd is good...

I did spin a couple of times at about 100kmh in 3rd if i down shifted from 4th with a little too much pedal, but meh...

12Psi is getting close to maxing the injectors... tuner had it at 16 but the clutch is slipping (New $1000 Exceedy) so we need to get the pressure plate out and get it beefed up....

Also going to buy a new wastegate...

So Wastegate, Injectors and pressure plate will see this thing up to 22psi and hoping for 450-500hp...

AWD research is also coming along well...

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

OMG, talk about still having an erection. That thing is f**ken INSANE sam. As i said last night one the best turbo cars i have been in.........IM SO JEALOUS
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Sweet 8)

Let me know how you go with getting your excedy pressure plate springs beefed up. I gotta do the same.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Good to hear your beast is on the road again. What's she putting out now at 12 psi???

Also don't be shy keeping us informed on the awd research. You'll have a lot of ppl interested, myself included :D
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Am going to a place that did Adams 6a13 FTO for the pressure plate... looking around $800...

And as far as AWD, i have a little something no-body else has had when doing the research... and im not talking about the Evo4 shell and drivetrail i bought...

hehehe... once im done, i'll do a big write up...

Another option i've been thinking about is buying a shitheap fto and just doing a complete evo conversion... may be a tad easier... Ive been told engines use the same mounts (didnt think the V6 would have the same mounts as the 4cyl.... but meh)

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

$800 just for a pressure plate 8O I can buy a whole Excedy clutch kit for that!

*Goes off to fabricate his own*
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

FtoSam wrote:Am going to a place that did Adams 6a13 FTO for the pressure plate... looking around $800...

And as far as AWD, i have a little something no-body else has had when doing the research... and im not talking about the Evo4 shell and drivetrail i bought...

hehehe... once im done, i'll do a big write up...

Another option i've been thinking about is buying a shitheap fto and just doing a complete evo conversion... may be a tad easier... Ive been told engines use the same mounts (didnt think the V6 would have the same mounts as the 4cyl.... but meh)
I am pretty sure it will work ... Reason being is that the v6 sonata uses the same engine as the 6A13 (pretty sure), and other people have put the 4g63T into the V6 Sonata...

My Sonata was the 4cly, so based directly off the 4G63, and only 1 mount was different stock ... But if you go down that path, Meek have all the mounts and stock mitsubish parts pretty cheaply ...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Just rang up NPC...

$180 for modified pressure plate... gives 30% extra hold...

i.e. if mines letting go at 300hp... it should be fine at 400hp.. woo

FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Righto... Wastegate has been dying since the last run at the drags...

Died last night on the way home from a car cruise...

The exhaust heat out the screamer pipe boiled my clutch lines and evaporated the lot... clutch went, so she got a tow home...

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

At least you got a proffesional pic of it :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Sam i need a cheap tow truck that will be able to get my car on it (being low and all). Do you know anyone?????

Im not being a smartass i really do need one :D
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

man that fckn sucks. Pic looks nice mate
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

Dam, that sucks mate ... but at least you'll have a sexy picture
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

that is all....

***cries in the corner***

nosman
Grease Monkey

Post by nosman »

ah thats no good Sam, dude u are having nothing but trouble with this thing lol. But still respect and love it haha. :lol: