DIY - FTO Logo Brake Light Cover

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY - FTO Logo Brake Light Cover

Post by mr-charisma »

I was bored tonight and decided to make a cover for my rear brake light so that it shows up in the shape of the 'FTO' Logo (as seen on ebay for way too many $$$) Just thought it might be a decent addition to the DIY section - It's a very simple little thing I know - but some people might find it useful I spose.

Materials needed:
Razor Blade/Stanley Knife
Scissors
Sheet of Black Plastic/Cardboard (Alternatively a sheet of black vinyl sticker (decal) by 3M or similar)
Pencil/Pens
Black Electrical Tape or Glue

For what I did:

1.) Take off the cover surrounding the rear brake light above the rear parcel shelf - There is a little clip holding it in place - Press the centre of the clip to release the cover and simply take it off.

2.) Get a peice of cardboard/Paper and place it behind the light and trace around the Half Circle shaped brake light frame to get the right size for the blanking cover.

3.) Once you have the right size that you need, download the FTO logo from the net and trace it onto a bit of paper as large as you can make it so it still fits.

4.) Get a piece of black plastic/cardboard and trace the logo onto it (I used a bit of plastic from a folder laying around the house). Make sure that you trace the FTO Symbol onto the card the right way up, which is; straight part at the top and curved half circle part at the bottom.

5.) Using a stanley knife, or razor blade, carefully cut out the shape of the FTO logo writing and then cut the rest of the blanking cover to the right shape/size - using scissors is easier.

6.) Attach the blanking cover to the rear interior brake light, either by Glue/Sticky tape/ whatever will do the trick - depends how permanant you want it. I used black electrical tape to keep it in place, and also to help black out any of the excess light from coming out the edges & ruining the effect.

7.) Replace the cover for the break light and secure in place with the little round clip.

8.) Enjoy :)

P.S. You can also use a black adhesive sticker label to acheive the same result which you can no doubt pick up from a hardware/stationery store, its all personal preference, you can't notice the difference between this method and placing a sticker over it with the FTO Symbol cut out, but I preferred this method as it is easier to remove it, change to another design and then put it back on later.

FTO-101
Grease Monkey

Post by FTO-101 »

I like my Mivec one :D
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I like my Mivec one
That's pretty cool :) Looks like the opposite tot he way I did it :? Got a pic of what it looks like when you step on the brakes?
FTO-101
Grease Monkey

Post by FTO-101 »

Actually i dont but i should take one at night. Will post a pic when i do :D
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Actually i dont but i should take one at night. Will post a pic when i do :D
Sounds leik a plan :) Lookin forward to seein it :)
MissxFTO
Veteran Mechanic

Post by MissxFTO »

i got one on ebay for 5 bucks :? it keeps falling down though hahaha.. nothing a bit of glue wont fix 8O
[img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/923/msf70lz5.jpg[/img]
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

btw does it look dodgy? as in if u examine it closely can u see the gaps being patched up or any of the tape etc?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

no, you can't see any of the tape or anything even in daylight, the rear windsheild brake light has its own housing/case, so its pretty well hidden away in there :) Remind me at the next meet & i'll show u
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

mr-charisma wrote:no, you can't see any of the tape or anything even in daylight, the rear windsheild brake light has its own housing/case, so its pretty well hidden away in there :) Remind me at the next meet & i'll show u
that'll be cool :) though it'll be a while cos i dont have my lisence still lol

oh and i know the brake light has its own housing... mine interior is still pulled apart :oops: lol
lwrida
Mechanic

Post by lwrida »

I found this link on ebay for all you lazy ppl that cbf doing a lot of work

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LO-OK-MITSUBISHI ... dZViewItem
aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú sibh sin mé bualadh craicinn sibh... FTO GPX 95' táirgí tuilí
[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8306/banner2ae0.jpg[/img]
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Saw this the other day on your car down the highway. In plain daylight, it was visible. (looked awesome)
I cant do mine cause i have to brake cover (CC Inverters in the way anyway.)

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

just did this the otherday with a bit of white cardboard lol

hardest part was tracing off my LCD monitor without breaking it lol
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Haha isn't that what printers were invented for? :lol:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

nicholas wrote:
Haha isn't that what printers were invented for? :lol:
easier to resize the font to the right size while it's on the computer rather than guessing with printing ;)
and i may or may not have been to lazy to set my printer up lol
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

woop!

i just did this the other day and i like it. :D
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

anthxnyz
Apprentice

Re: DIY - FTO Logo Brake Light Cover

Post by anthxnyz »

okay - this is a really cool idea so i went out and bought everything needed - yet when it comes to taking the brake light cover off from the inside the little round black slip won't push in? - i've tried so hard i fear if i push it anymore i'll push the roof out :/

any ideas on how to get it to budge? - i'm basically just pressing in very hard lol.. :/
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

[quote="anthxnyz"]okay - this is a really cool idea so i went out and bought everything needed - yet when it comes to taking the brake light cover off from the inside the little round black slip won't push in? - i've tried so hard i fear if i push it anymore i'll push the roof out :/

any ideas on how to get it to budge? - i'm basically just pressing in very hard lol.. :/[/quote]
are you sure you are pushing the middle of the clip not the whole thing?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

you need to pull the little clip apart a bit before you push it back in the middle part of it should be pulled out (but not all the way out) then put it back in place & push the middle part back in again ..

it's hard to explain, let me know if you can't fisgure it out & i'll post some pics, need to make one for the new car..
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

[quote="mr-charisma"]you need to pull the little clip apart a bit before you push it back in the middle part of it should be pulled out (but not all the way out) then put it back in place & push the middle part back in again ..

it's hard to explain, let me know if you can't fisgure it out & i'll post some pics, need to make one for the new car..[/quote]

New? You've had that thing for a while havn't you :lol:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

yeah, but i've still got the 'old' one as well .. lol