DIY: How to install a Starter Button

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: How to install a Starter Button

Post by FtoSam »

Righto. Not sure wether this has been covered yet or not.
I bought this starter Button kit on ebay about 2 months ago.. i finally got motivated last night to put it in. (Yes i do realise that its a total "Wank Factor")

What you need:
Starter button Kit Consisting of:
-Actual Starter Button
-12V Relay (To handle massive power draw)
-2x Wire Crimps
-Wires

Other stuff:
Screwdriver (With long shaft preferd) <- No dirty comments thanks
Drill
More wire
More Wire Crimps

Method:
Righto. First things first. You need to pull the bottom peice of your dash, under the steering wheel, off. (This also has your Bonnet Popper attatched) This can be acheived by unscrewing the four screws that hold it in place.
Should look like this: (But prob neater)

Then Take off the cover that goes over your steering column. This is held in by another 3/4 screws. One of which requires a long screwdriver. The other two are either side of the column height adjust thingo. Then it clips apart in 2 sections.

The thing we are looking for is the 2 wires for the Starter motor. One of which is a constant 12V line (Big thick Red wire) and the other goes to the starter to engage it (Thick Black with Red stripe). Now dont mess round here kids. These have a lot of power going through them. Best not to put a cheapo multimeter on them.
On the left hand side of the column you should see a largish white/blue plug.
Just Double check it looks like this: (excuse the crudeness. im at work)
[ X ] [ X ]
[ + ] [ X ]
[ X ] [ . ]
With the Red X (black w red stripe wire) Going to the starter and the Red + Being the constant Live wire(Red thick wire). oh and to get the plug out you'll have to remove the small plug above it (It controlls the beeping sound and the key illumination. Thinking about removing that annoying beeper.)

If you follow these wires down, you should be able to find an appropriate spot to join in to them.
Mine was covered in tape (probably due to my alarm) so i stripped back the tape and clamped onto both of these with my supplied clamps (these wires are quite thick and require some heavy duty connecter things).
The two wires go straight to the Relay. There thats that side of things done.

Now for the other side of the circuit.

First you need to find a point to install your start button.
I was going to put it down low on the left side of my dash (near steering wheel) but my boost switch is there.
Another option is to pull out your cig lighter and install it there. (However i use it regularly with GPS/Phone charger)
So i settled on using it in my Center Console.
Not only will it remain hidden from people looking in, but its relatively hard to bump (As its protected by the lid. DO NOT MOUNT IT ANYWHERE IT CAN BE BUMPED. IF YOU PRESS IT WHILE your ALREADY RUNNING YOU'LL DAMAGE SOMETHING.
People who dont have a stacker in their console will have to find an alternative. (Warning: First check the thickness of the spot. My boost switch looks rooted thanks to there actually being 2 layers of dash. :evil: )

Once you have the area sorted you need to mark it out with either a marker or a knife, etc. Then Drill it. I only had a 7mm drill peice for a 25mm hole. so i drilled several holes and then used a file and stanley knife to make it nice. Button fitted like a dream.
So now all you need is to get it some power.
I ran a wire from the cig lighter + (Via another handy Patch Crimp) to the switch. Then from the other side of the switch to the relay. Then from the other side of the relay to a ground point.. It is best to situate the relay closer to the starter wires as they've got the most power running through them.
Once you have all these run, put your key in, put it in neutral and give it a go! Viola (Hopefully)

Remember, Measure twice, cut once.. a code i live by. Double check everything before having that first "Test push"

There used to be a guide on Funky FTO, but its gone. So i hope this can be of assistance (they also only had a switch with no relay 8O probably safer this way.)

Let me know if you have any questions.
Oh and you do this at your own risk.. if your not comfortable doing it.. pay someone who does... or dont do it at all.. :)

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

quick question sam does this kit sem ok? it says it has a 40a relay what do you think? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=001
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

you gonna use that flair :D?
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

eThix wrote:you gonna use that flair :D?
i dont get it lol
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

AMACHA wrote:
eThix wrote:you gonna use that flair :D?
i dont get it lol
in the 2nd last pic it looks like sam still has the FTO flair in his car :)
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Re: DIY: How to install a Starter Button

Post by fto-007 »

the button just starts the starter motor. what about cutting the power for the rest of the car like it normaly dose or is that somthing you dont have to do?? :roll:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

you still have to stick your keys in to the ignition and turn it on to accessories, (correct me if I'm wrong, too lazy to read over this now lol) the button just takes over the role of the last turn of the key.
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I think sam sums it up here the best ;)

FtoSam wrote: (Yes i do realise that its a total "Wank Factor")
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Oh and yes yang you are correct
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

you could also add switches like a aircraft and do away with the keys all together.
Its just the stearing lock you would have to look at.
RyanStyler
Grease Monkey

Post by RyanStyler »

how do u actually shut the car down do u press the button again ?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Sorry to be negative, but wiring this up this way is probably not such a good idea. If you study the electrical diagrams for the ignition switch, when you turn the ignition switch to start it activates the starter circuit and de activates / isolates others.

By bypassing this with the simple switch here you are not isolating the other circuits when you power the starter circuit.

I don't know what could or would blow as a result but the ignition system in all cars is wired this way for a reason.
Last edited by Shane001 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanStyler
Grease Monkey

Post by RyanStyler »

I din really get what u mean. I get that doing it this way is not safe so what's the best way to go about it. all I want to know is how to switch the engine off if this is the case cheers
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

RyanStyler wrote:I din really get what you mean. I get that doing it this way is not safe so what's the best way to go about it. all I want to know is how to switch the engine off if this is the case cheers
Turn the key to off.

And to clarify my post was to the thread not a reply to your question ;)
RyanStyler
Grease Monkey

Post by RyanStyler »

ok so if I have used a swich to connect assesories and then the button starts the car to switch of the engine I just turn the switch off is that right?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Ryan, correct answer, just don't do it...
RyanStyler
Grease Monkey

Post by RyanStyler »

ok why not do it? I have seen some of them do it what happens if something goes wrong your ignition gets fried or something?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

RyanStyler wrote:ok why not do it? I have seen some of them do it what happens if something goes wrong your ignition gets fried or something?
Go speak to an electrician, I'm not an electrician, I'm simply pointing out what I know and suggesting it may not be a good idea.

To clarify my post, if you have a look at the ignition switch diagram in the electrical manual for the FTO;

With the Ignition Key at ACC (Accessories), only the ACC circuit receives power.
With the Ignition Key at On, the ACC, IG1 & IG2 circuits receive power.
With the Ignition Key at ST (Start), only the ST & IG1 circuits receive power.

So when you start the car with the ignition key, power is cut to the Accessories circuit and the Ignition2 circuit. I would think it would not be this way if it was not important... Certainly I wouldn't want to risk it...

If you were going to wire in a push button, the correct way to wire it in would be with a multi throw switch/relay that matches the ignition circuit wiring.
RyanStyler
Grease Monkey

Post by RyanStyler »

would u be able to send me the wiring digram please cheers my email is sgopal@utas.edu.au
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

RyanStyler wrote:would you be able to send me the wiring digram please cheers my email is sgopal@utas.edu.au
Too big to email:
http://ftoaustralia.com/downloads/elect ... manual.zip