DIY: Upgrading the lower intake piping

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

tintin
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Upgrading the lower intake piping

Post by tintin »

well i started off by having harf aday at work to get my exhaust price sorted then when i got home i started work on my air ram pipe

i got 2 of these from work when we had a new heater put in and these wher spear

sizing up wher bits need to go

mounting up the 1st pipe

i cut the end of the 2nd pipe off fitting nicely behind the splitter

plus i can twist the pipe up or down to how i want it :wink:
coilovers!! gaurenteed to make boobs bounce :)
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

got any more you wanna give me :P??
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Thats awesome! :) Very similar to what I want to do for my car.. It actually helps me a lot with my plans :D Thanks!

I'm sure a mod will be along any minute to move this to the DIY section :)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Your wish is my command...

Good setup... Loose the fog light... whack the sucker in there...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
tintin
Grease Monkey

Post by tintin »

thanks for moving it :)

i thinking if you look in a b&q or what ever type of hard wear store you have over there thay mite have some thing

(1 thing you mite want to look out for is on theses pipes ther is i seal that is angled to stop it from coming off)
it will come off but its hard to get off :wink:

plus me and a friend at work are going to set a tester to see how much air flow is going to get in :D ill keep you posted :)
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Cool, be interesting to see how much air really does go in :P
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I did pretty much the same thing with an intake peice of piping I bought from Auto One (love that shop.) It was the perfect size to fit in the standard pipe spot that comes into the air box spot. So perfect infact I was able to wind it in using the ribbed exterior of the pipe as a giant thread :) Then I just cable tied it so the mouth of it sit behind the opening of the front bar (the lower opening)

mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

I am pretty much the same way as Ben, even the colour, except I made a funnel like adapter that goes in front of the radiator.
Collects a lot of air, and as my front bumper has a large opening it doesnt restrict the air that cools the radiator.

tintin,
Why using metal piping?
Metal conducts engine heat very quickly and constantly, this will warm up the air just sucked in and will reduce the density, where as plastic piping will protect the air from heat
tintin
Grease Monkey

Post by tintin »

mxysxy wrote:I am pretty much the same way as Ben, even the colour, except I made a funnel like adapter that goes in front of the radiator.
Collects a lot of air, and as my front bumper has a large opening it doesnt restrict the air that cools the radiator.

tintin,
Why using metal piping?
Metal conducts engine heat very quickly and constantly, this will warm up the air just sucked in and will reduce the density, where as plastic piping will protect the air from heat
good point but remember that i live in britain so we have lots of cold days even in the summer :P plus when metal/ alloy is cold it then becomes colder then the temperature around it :)
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

Bennoz wrote:I did pretty much the same thing with an intake peice of piping I bought from Auto One (love that shop.) It was the perfect size to fit in the standard pipe spot that comes into the air box spot. So perfect infact I was able to wind it in using the ribbed exterior of the pipe as a giant thread :) Then I just cable tied it so the mouth of it sit behind the opening of the front bar (the lower opening)
have you got a link to this piping on auto one?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

EURO wrote:
Bennoz wrote:I did pretty much the same thing with an intake peice of piping I bought from Auto One (love that shop.) It was the perfect size to fit in the standard pipe spot that comes into the air box spot. So perfect infact I was able to wind it in using the ribbed exterior of the pipe as a giant thread :) Then I just cable tied it so the mouth of it sit behind the opening of the front bar (the lower opening)
Unfortunately not. The only online Auto one shops dont seem to have it listed :? I spose you could call the shop I bought it for the part number, it was the Willoughby Store on 02 9417 8188

It was just packaged as that one big pipe in a perspex pack with cardboard backing. They had different colours too.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

EURO wrote:
Mike i've got a similar piping that i bought for my FTO, the colour is red though. I haven't use it before, but the packaging is a bit dirty now. Since your work is like 2mins from my place, and i don't have a FTO anymore, give me a buzz and its yours.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

that would be great Kev - dont work in port melb anymore, but can still drop by if you dont mind?

dave.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

The piping that Bennoz mentioned is available at autobarn too i'm pretty sure. I think under the "Monza" brand, 25 bucks or so, and different colours. Helped do my mate's CAI in his crx long time ago with this exact same tubing.