DIY: Fitting Quick Shifter

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Grue
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Fitting Quick Shifter

Post by Grue »

Easy job, but I needed a couple of pointers before I did it... so in case it helps someone:

Pliers
Flat Head Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Ratchet Spanner (12mm I think)

1. Open up your central compartment between the seats that you keep your cd's, petrol reciepts, sweeties etc in. Take all the rubbish out and remove the 2 screws in there.

2. Pull up on your drinks holder, and it'll pop right out. Remove the 2 screws now visible.
You can now pull the entire centre compartment up and back towards the rear seats to remove it.

3. Unscrew your gear knob. Remove the sterio surround - nice and carefull now. It snaps easily. Lever it up and the clips will pop out. I needed to remove the wiring to my ciggy lighter - unclip the 2 power wires and untwist the buld holder. Easy peasy.

4. Remove the 2 outer screws above the radio.

5. Remove the 3 screws in each footwell
The plastic gear surround that these screws were holding in will now pull back and can be lifted away from the dash. Now you can get to the shifter!

6. You should now see something like this. Remove the 4 bolts.

7. Next are the 2 linkages. the one directly under the stick you need to push the black clip to either side to pop it foward slightly:

8. The 2nd linkage you need to use the pliers to remove the split pin.
Straighten the split pin arms and then pull it through the hole, and it'll come straight off.

9. The 2 cables running through the front of the shifter are held in by the gold/silvery U shapes. These can be a bit fiddly, but can be levered up and out with a flat head screwdriver. Once they're both out, the entire old shifter can be lifted away.

Simple as that really! Put the new shifter into the old one's spot, and simply reverse the above.

Cracks in stereo surround: 1
(which lead to...)
Swear words: 1
Screws dropped and spent 5mins looking for: 2
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Cool guide, GW Sorry to hear about your Dash Surround :( I have to take mine out soon :S I think I will cry if I crack it lol Gonna be as careful as hell

I Would love to see a guide on "How to remove your Stereo Surround without cracking it" anyone got one of those?
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Must have taken mine off a dozen times or more with no cracks... got into the habbit of thinking that it wouldn't happen to me, and got careless :evil:

Guessing our manuals are easier, as you can put your fingers into the gearstick boot and pull it up that way.
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nice! 8)