DIY: A tool to adjust your tappets

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bonker
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: A tool to adjust your tappets

Post by bonker »

Adjusting your tappets

You will need
Home-made tappet adjusting tool!
Socket set

Any one who has done a similar job on a more basic car should not be put off doing it on the FTO as it is a pleasure to work on.

My car was pretty quiet already but now is turbine smooth with none of the annoying ticking that it had before. I only found 3 gaps that were bigger than spec and these were all at the 'air filter' end of the cams. Strangely all of the remaining gaps were tighter than spec.

The tool was made from a hex ended 6 inch extension bar,the hex so as I could use a spanner rather than a rachet (less hands required) welded to the side of a 10mm socket. The socket was positioned so it pointed inwards slightly towards the centre line of the extension which helps to clear the cam lobes, then grind away as much of the socket as you dare until it fits. Removing the front rocker cover whilst doing this allows you to try it for fit as you go.

The job could quite feasably be done with a bent ring spanner as the only reason a special tool is required is because of the poor access. Remove the front rocker cover to see what I mean.

It will only take an hour a most. Undo the 6 screws on the plastic cover used to hold down the coils, undo 3 on the cam belt cover (2 right at the top and one between cylinder banks which may also have a clip on it for the HT leads), and then 8 or so on the cover itself. Pull the cam belt cover gently to one side as you ease the rocker cover off (I beleive there is a fourth bolt further down the side of the engine). The electrical connections can only go back on one way so it's easy to get them back in the right sockets once you're done. Just take your time make notes if you are not sure label things and put them in bags if you like.

I may be underestimating my mechanical ability but probably not, and I think that if the professionals think this is difficult then something has got to be wrong.

Written by Andy R

Tappet Clearances
The clearances for a MIVEC 6A12 engine are
intake: 0.1mm
exhaust: 0.13mm.

As you are probably aware the non-MIVEC 6A12 engine has hydraulic tappets that are self adjusting.

The picture of the tool is on my avatar, sorry dont know how to upload picture[/img]
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Email me the picture and I will put it up here :wink:

SupplanterATftoaustralia.com
LED ALL the things.
bonker

Post by bonker »

Cheers, a message just been sent. Hopefully
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »