DIY: Replacing O2 / Lambda sensor

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Replacing O2 / Lambda sensor

Post by I8A4RE »

Ok after spending many hours reading through other threads and then having to pm ppl (thanks TCGPX) and then ben coming through wth a lovely diagram to boot. I thought i would just put all the info in one spot. This is by no means all my work, i compiled the info in convenent location to help stop the increase of duplicate post. Hope it helps :D

When to replace your O2 sensor:
a) check engine lights coming on (and you have checked ecu error codes)
b) engine surging and/or hesitation
c) Poor or decreased fuel econmy (vehicle running rich)
d) Failed exhaust emissions testing
e) premature failure of the cat (rotten egg smell)
f) some manufacturers recommend replacement every 90,000km

Benefits of replacing
a) Increased fuel economy (may improve fuel economy as much as 10%-15%)
b) reduce exhaust emissions (keep the tree huggin hippies happy :D )
c) reduce the risk of costly damage to the cat (keep your walet happy)
d) ensure peak engine performance (keep you happy)
e) Decrease premature ageing of spark plugs.

What it does
Measures the presence of oxygen in the exhaust gas so that the engine ECU can adjust fuel/air ratios accordingly. Lambda is the point at which fuel and air are burned perfectly together, this is at a ratio of 14.7:1 air to fuel.

O2 sensor location:
Underneath car, screwed into drivers side of exhaust before cat, underneath drivers footwell.

Tools:
1 x 22mm spanner
1 x side cutter pliers
1 x soldering iron
Electrical tape

Factory Wiring:
94 gr, 95 gpx, (will add more as i find out)
Heater wires can connect toeither one there is no negative or positive

Purchasing:
Cost anywhere from $60-$110 for sensor
Purchase new O2 sensor from repco, supercheap etc Ask for o2 senor (4 wire) for 6A12 galant. ACA brand, Part Number: OX204 (thanks ben)

or

from purchase from (ebay) here
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OXYGEN-SENSOR-O2 ... dZViewItem

Time: 30 mins

Installing:
1) Pull gromet out from underside of car. keep pulling and a white plug should follow, disconnect plug.

2) Remove old sensor by unscrewing from exhaust. It might be tight so the use of a spray on lubricant like WD40 maybe needed (leave for a day for optimum effect).

3) Cut plug off old sensor but leave plenty of wire for reconnecting to new sensor.

4) Solder wires from plug to new sensor (if brought sensor from ebay follow this diagram)
Thanks Bennoz
All other brands will have a diagram or info on what colour wire goes to what. So just follow the diagram under factory wiring as where to wire up.

5) Tape solded connections and refit in opposite order as removed.

Side notes
The sensor after the cat is not an o2 sensor but a cat temp sensor.

Hope i havent left anything out and it helps

Disclaimer: This is an extremely easy task but i take no responsibilty for any incorrect information and by following this DIY, any work done on your vehicle is done so at your own risk...

PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFO THAT I HAVE MISSED OUT PLEASE PM SO I CAN ADD IT.
Last edited by I8A4RE on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nice one 8)
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

great stuff :) been thinking about replacing it for a while .. will do it when I replace the cat..
izonme
Grease Monkey

Post by izonme »

As I found out the 2 Black wires can be wired any witch way.
.:-- 1997 BLACK / GPvR-FTO / KENNY9 --:.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Dude that why it says
I8AFRE wrote:Heater wires can connect to either one there is no negative or positive
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

UPDATE: Since replacing the sensor i went from around 380km per tank 8O . To 550km and thats with some hard driving. Please keep in mind my car is a tip. SOme of the other members have had upto 730km per tank with manuals. It also depends on how you drive you car. :D
izonme
Grease Monkey

Post by izonme »

WHAT.. I changed mine and I have not notice any differers I am still getting 300Km out of a tank of flue.

What was the BRAND of O2 sensor?

Mine was of eBay $60buks still got the box some place will look for it to find out the brand.

And since I have changed it the car has a funny noise! Could it be related to the O2 sensor? DON'T KNOW my girlfriends dad said it not from the O2 sensor but I think it might be...

When you installed it what where your steps??
.:-- 1997 BLACK / GPvR-FTO / KENNY9 --:.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Mate my steps were as posted above... i wrote the DIY. If yor still getting only 300km per tank i would look at igintion timing or a fuel leak
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Maybe a ECU reset after?
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

In theroy it shouldnt need it as the ECU reads real time info from the o2 sensor so is constantly adjusting. However i did just to be sure :D
Kace
Apprentice

Re: DIY: Replacing O2 / Lambda sensor

Post by Kace »

I8A4RE wrote: 4) Solder wires from plug to new sensor (if brought sensor from ebay follow this diagram)
Hi I8A4RE - any chance you could paste in a larger version of this diagram - impossible to read wire colourings from this one. Alternatively you could write out the colours.

Also, could you provide some advice on the universal lambda I purchased off fleaBay - it has 2 black wires 1 grey and 1 white wire. I am trying to confirm whether the Grey or White wire is the Ground.

Any advice for a Paddy appreciated ;-)

Green FTO is stunning btw !!

K

| 95 GPX Manual | Lowered Suspension | Mongoose Exhaust | ITG Filter | Black Diamond Drilled/Grooved Discs | Momo Driver Steering&Gearshift | Suspension Strut | Stainless Kickplates | Leatherette Seats | Only FTO in Ireland with roof rack |

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

;)

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah sorry about the small pics and cheers ben. I have changed it in the DIY now.
Also, could you provide some advice on the universal lambda I purchased off fleaBay - it has 2 black wires 1 grey and 1 white wire. I am trying to confirm whether the Grey or White wire is the Ground.
Ok on their website they should have the wiring diagram or at least an explaination of what wires are what. I would definitly say that the 2 black wires are the heater wires but as for the other two i have no idea. If its not on their website shoot them an email and when i say website i mean the ebay page that you brought it from.
Green FTO is stunning btw !!
Albert
Apprentice

Post by Albert »

Hi
would this type of wiring and part be used on a 1995 GR
or can someone point me to the right direction
Thanks

Regards
Albert
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Albert wrote:Hi
would this type of wiring and part be used on a 1995 GR
or can someone point me to the right direction
Thanks

Regards
Albert
yeah mate it would suuit i would say the wiring would be the same but cannot confirm.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, its all the same.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

lol I just did my one about a month back and Fucked it up big time :oops: now I need to get a new one from the Mitsi parts shop :cry:

could I please get the part number of the factory O2 sensor please :D
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

aza013 wrote:lol I just did my one about a month back and Fucked it up big time :oops: now I need to get a new one from the Mitsi parts shop :cry:

could I please get the part number of the factory O2 sensor please :D
How did you f*ck it up so bad you have to get a genuine one?? 8O

You do realise Mitsi Aus will ask you for $700 for it!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I know :evil: when I soldered the new sensor o the plug I think I melted the conectors or I just did not conect the wires up right :roll:
the car is just running verrrrrrrrrry rich
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

aza013 wrote:I know :evil: when I soldered the new sensor o the plug I think I melted the conectors or I just did not conect the wires up right :roll:
the car is just running verrrrrrrrrry rich
I dont see what getting a OEM one will accomplish. if you f&*ked the plug just cut it off and hard wire (no use of plug). The car will run rich if you havent hooked up right....so just undo what you have done reconnect in the correct manor and you should be good to go.