DIY... STARTER MOTOR REPLACEMENT

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

vipfto
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY... STARTER MOTOR REPLACEMENT

Post by vipfto »

You will need the following

Starter motor to replace with
14mm socket/spanner
12mm socket/spanner

1. First disconnect battery, this is a must even if like me with most wiring jobs you usually dont, failure to do this will result in a very unhappy car and owner :!: :!: :!:

2. Jack up car both sides of the front and put axle stands underneath remember safety first people :!:

3. Locate starter motor ( inbetween front crossmember and downpipe) and disconnect both wires the positive should have a red rubber cover like your battery + one, to undo this it should be a 12mm nut undo and remove wire. Then above that there should be another wire which should just unclip. (your new starter should be earthed to itself)

4. To remove the starter on the downpipe side of the crossmember at the rear of the starter there will be a 14mm bolt undo and remove completely. Then on the gearbox side of the crossmember there will be another 14mm bolt which is longer undo a remove completely, now the starter can be taken out.

5. For those of you with sandwich plate adapters for oil pressure/temp sendors you may need to remove these as I did to get starter out, I also had to remove downpipe heat shields which you may or may not have to do as not all are the same but then unit should just jiggle out with a bit of manouvering :)

6. Give area a clean up (it may be very oily)

7. Reassemble by doing opposite of above procedure reconnect battery and it should start like a dream, mine was better than ever has been :D

I appologise for no pics but was in hurry to get do as had to get car going for work next morning.
This is however a ver simple job and should only take even a novice about an hour to replace :D
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Have I got the correct '2nd Bolt'?

If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

win :cheers:
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Cheers bud! That's the f*&ker that broke my socket rachet... Time to go buy a decent tool and take my revenge.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Grue wrote:Cheers bud! That's the f*&ker that broke my socket rachet... Time to go buy a decent tool and take my revenge.
Don't have 'too much' revenge, I cross threaded mine (bolt #2 in the pics) and had to do a hodge podge drill and new nut/bolt combo :facepalm:
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nice 8)

Moved into DIY. Tim, you should have access to post new threads in here now, or at least be able to move threads in here.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Yeah actually I forgot I even did this DIY was soooo long ago :roll:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh woops, I didn't even see the original post date :oops:
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

SHE'S ALIVE! ALIVE! MU HA HA HA!

For those with UAS Extractors, this is a right bugger to do... Not enough room to remove it!

You need to remove the starter motor end shield (2 nuts, 12mm), AND the top bolt (12mm) where she shield attaches to in order to let it drop out past the extractor pipe. Pretty damn fiddly, and 90% of it is by feel as you can't see what you're doing up behind the pipe. Socket screw driver, or small socket wrench with long bar is invaluble.

Still, job done. And feel 10x better than paying someone to do it. Took an hour after all the fiddly bits. If the USA extractors had been 2mm to the left, it'd have been a 20min job.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Grue wrote:SHE'S ALIVE! ALIVE! MU HA HA HA!

For those with UAS Extractors, this is a right bugger to do... Not enough room to remove it!

You need to remove the starter motor end shield (2 nuts, 12mm), AND the top bolt (12mm) where she shield attaches to in order to let it drop out past the extractor pipe. Pretty damn fiddly, and 90% of it is by feel as you can't see what you're doing up behind the pipe. Socket screw driver, or small socket wrench with long bar is invaluble.

Still, job done. And feel 10x better than paying someone to do it. Took an hour after all the fiddly bits. If the USA extractors had been 2mm to the left, it'd have been a 20min job.
Dude, I hope you were using axle stands under that car......especially if you are using those cheap ass scissor jacks. My mate nearly died after a car fell on him.

$30-40 bucks from repco :x
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...