DIY: jonowong's Manual Conversion!

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jonowong
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: jonowong's Manual Conversion!

Post by jonowong »

.:Disclaimer:.
This is a guide i have written to be used as a supplementary resource to people wanting to do a manual conversion. No liability can be accepted for any loss, damage or injury caused by undertaking this guide.
Follow this guide at your own risk.

.:Tools Required
A fu.ck load...

.:jonowong's difficulty spanner rating
8/10

.:Step 1 - Remove battery and intake pipe:.
this is easy and self explanatory, you should be left with wants pictured below. after you've done that, remove the battery tray.

.:Step 2 - Drain Automatic Transmission Fluid:.
Drain your automatic transmission fluid by undoing these 3 bolts under your auto gearbox, this is so when we remove the drive shafts and transmission cooler we don't get atf gearbox oil everywhere. wait until the oil is completely drained before moving onto the next step.

.:Step 3 - Removing the transmission cooler:.
Undo the hoses in the first picture below, these connect to your tranny cooler. After you've done that unbolt the tranny cooler and pull the hoses through, discard the tranny cooler.

.:Step 4 - Removing the driveshafts:.
Remove the pin in the middle of the driveshaft nut, i found no easy way to do this, i went at it with pliers for about 20minutes. After that undo the 32mm drive shaft nut, tip do it with the wheel still on so you dont need to get someone pushing the brakes. These are a bitch to get off so make sure you wd40 it good before you attempt. I broke one of my socket tools trying to get it off. Do this on both sides.

I then took off the rotors and brakes to get the driveshaft off which i dont think was necessary. The drive shaft just slides out of the gearbox and out of the hub.

.:Step 5 - Disconnect selector cable and plugs:.
we need to disconnect these before we drop the gearbox out. to get the selector cable, undo the bolts below.

.:Step 6 - Drain Radiator and Remove Lower Radiator Hose, Engine Mounts & Centre Memeber:.
This holds the gearbox in place so we need to disconnect this stuff, we drain the radiator and remove the lower hose so we can get to the front engine mount. after you've undo the engine mounts, drop the cross member out, careful when you do this, because when it drops it can hit your head.

radiator drain plug

lower front engine mount

centre member
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

its not complete yet, but ill do some more during the week...
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

LOL @ the thomas the tank engine and friends mat :lol:
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Hah - the driveshaft just pushes out - my arse!

I went at it hammer and tongs. well hammer and bigger hammer then gave up and removed the whole hub with driveshaft attached last time :roll:
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey jonowong what is the thing infront of the radiator or aircon condenser i dont have one of them on my auto fto
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

Storm wrote:Hah - the driveshaft just pushes out - my arse!

I went at it hammer and tongs. well hammer and bigger hammer then gave up and removed the whole hub with driveshaft attached last time :roll:
hahaha the ends on mine are still on, it came off on the boot, and i couldnt get the exhaust manifold off, so i couldnt leave the shafts on
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

nvr2low wrote:hey jonowong what is the thing infront of the radiator or aircon condenser i dont have one of them on my auto fto
its a transmission cooler, yours is connected to the bottom of the radiator most likely
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

yh correct thought it was so i just gotta connect the manual back up to that or doesnt the manual gearbox have one anyways man keep up the good work i will be following this when i do mine next month
Nacho
Oldtimer

Re: DIY: jonowong's Manual Conversion!

Post by Nacho »

I feel sorry for the sucker who starts following this guide, dranks their tranny and radiator, pulls off their driveshaft.............

and then realises that they'll probably need to move to a different thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Nacho wrote:I feel sorry for the sucker who starts following this guide, dranks their tranny and radiator, pulls off their driveshaft.............

and then realises that they'll probably need to move to a different thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fkn lol. One hell of a long week.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Post by renzkuken1 »

Is this guide finished yet?! lOL
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Thats actually a pretty good guide ^^^

Few of the logistical ways he goes about things could be better, but none the less, its's concise.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Is there a guide on how to remove the manual gearbox and everything else needed... Or is it basically the same as removing the auto??
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

destinationtoby wrote:Is there a guide on how to remove the manual gearbox and everything else needed... Or is it basically the same as removing the auto??
Same.
Except, no trans cooler, and 1 extra cable to disconnect which are closer to the firewall.
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Astron_Boy wrote:
destinationtoby wrote:Is there a guide on how to remove the manual gearbox and everything else needed... Or is it basically the same as removing the auto??
Same.
Except, no trans cooler, and 1 extra cable to disconnect which are closer to the firewall.

Cheers..
Except some of the pictures are missing :(
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I'd really like to use this DIY guide in my app. I've been trying to get in contact with Jonowong for permission / see if he has those pics still. Does anyone know him personally?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

-Nighthawk- wrote:I'd really like to use this DIY guide in my app. I've been trying to get in contact with Jonowong for permission / see if he has those pics still. Does anyone know him personally?
Yep, I can ask him for you. Which guides?
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Bennoz wrote:
-Nighthawk- wrote:I'd really like to use this DIY guide in my app. I've been trying to get in contact with Jonowong for permission / see if he has those pics still. Does anyone know him personally?
Yep, I can ask him for you. Which guides?
Ahh cheers. Just the ones that have been posted in this DIY section, and if possible if he has the original images for them still as a few are broken.
Thanks