DIY - AirBox for a CAI

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

koolio1234
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY - AirBox for a CAI

Post by koolio1234 »

I've basically made the box from my own template, as the one I got from dstocks was too hard to cut with tin snips and was taking me ages to do. I decided to go for a different material altogether and go with my own custom made design. I do credit some of the design to dstock as I got a few ideas from his box. This airbox will fit a GPX and pretty much any fto but may require some modification with certain models.

Simplicity and efficiency was what I was after and I went with 2mm Aluminium sheets. Aluminium has excellent thermal mass and reflective properties hence its use in insulation batts, reflective sarking used in roofs, etc. This guide is for educational purposes, I will not be held liable if you injure yourself or your things, blah blah blah.

This is what I used:

- Sharp Heavy Duty Scissors (have to be nice and sharp)
- 600mm x 1000mm Sheet of 2mm thick Aluminum ($30 Bunnings)
- Aluminum Roof Sarking (alternatively you can use a reflective sun visor)
- Expandable Insulation foam in a can (Bunnings $10)
- Liquid Nails
- Pop Rivets and Riveter
- Drill
- Small tube of All purpose silicone.

You can always improvise if there is something you don't have.

Here is what I did:

1. Used the scissors to cut the template below out of the sheet of aluminium. Cut really easy like a knife through butter.

Cut out the solid lines only, the dotted lines are where we will fold to make out tabs and edges. (duh :roll: )

2. Once you've cut out the box and its lid, Cutout the hole for the intake pipe to enter through as shown by the orange circle on the diagram.
Fold the template according to this diagram. I used a block of wood and a hammer to square the edges and bend the tabs neatly. Drill the holes in indicated so that you can pop rivet them once the box is all folded up (make sure they line up).

3. It should now look like this, all folded up. Just pop rivet those holes that were made earlier or fasten them with small screws if you don't have a riveter.

4. Now, line the inside with some liquid nails, and then spray a small even layer of the expanding insulation foam on all sides of the box, it should stick to the liquid nails. add a little more liquid nails to the top of the foam and then line the inside of the box with the reflective sarking or sun visor material. I used the reflective roof sarking because I had some lying around in the garage. Remember to also apply some to the back of the lid as well.

5. Now to install it. With the air filter off your intake hose, pop it through the hole in the box and lower the box into the engine bay. Pop your filter back on while the hose is sticking into the box. I put a screw through the bottom of the box to fasten it to the chassis. Place the lid on and fasten it with some screws or whatever you like.

6. Finally, spread some silicone around where the intake pipe enters the airbox to cover the gap. Now your finished. :)

This is what I got. Will post more pics of the inside of the box soon.

[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

good stuff koolio ;) nice and simple indeed

ive nearly finished my c.a.i to, just need to route a pipe to the front bumper

feel any different when driving?
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

tippin9 wrote:good stuff koolio ;) nice and simple indeed

ive nearly finished my c.a.i to, just need to route a pipe to the front bumper

feel any different when driving?
I haven't noticed a large difference but I have noticed my engine Idles and revs much smoother now. Almost like there's less vibration as you rev while still maintaining the awesome noise. :twisted:

This DIY was the box only, I'm still looking for a good piping solution to route cool air from the front bar to the airbox. I'll post up that part of the DIY when I get to it. Good luck with yours. Post pics up when your done.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

Goddammit! I was hoping this templete would save me the hassle of having to design my own (no garage or acceptable tool access atm)... looks like I will be designing my own :cry: :cry: :cry:

:lol:
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nice one, stright to DIY 8)
gpx000
Mechanic

Re: DIY - AirBox for a CAI

Post by gpx000 »

ok, so i drew up the measurements for the box and gave the diagram to my dad so he can make it. does it HAVE to be an aluminum sheet?

also how do i get maximum air flow? i already have a pipe installed near the pod filter but since its not boxed its not long enough. do i just get those flexible pipes and attach it to my previous one into the new box? how big should the pipe going into the box be? the bigger the better?? not the rubber piper going into the engine.

so basically how do i maximize air flow?

sorry for so many questions.
gpx000
Mechanic

Post by gpx000 »

ive made a model of the box out of cardboard and i noticed with your measurements on the left hand side that it says 220mm, however the dotted line is equivalent to the opposite side of 200mm. is this correct?

also will this fit with my UAS kit? because i measured the filter and its diameter is just below 200mm so should i make the side length a bit more than 200mm? or it wont fit when i close the bonnet?

and one more thing. will it be better if there was more space where the filter is? coz just by the looks of things, there isnt much space.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

gpx000 wrote:ive made a model of the box out of cardboard and i noticed with your measurements on the left hand side that it says 220mm, however the dotted line is equivalent to the opposite side of 200mm. is this correct?

also will this fit with my UAS kit? because i measured the filter and its diameter is just below 200mm so should i make the side length a bit more than 200mm? or it wont fit when i close the bonnet?

and one more thing. will it be better if there was more space where the filter is? coz just by the looks of things, there isnt much space.
The thing with DIY mods is that half the fun is making it up yourself...
That's why when I installed my HIDs I ended up taking off my front bar.. you can only learn by trial and error..
just have fun with it and stop stressing
gpx000
Mechanic

Post by gpx000 »

hahahah its so stressful coz ive never made anything in my life.
im more of a texbook person. im not good with hands on things thats why i got my dad to ask me. i think ill be changing my measurements but im scared once my dad makes the box we wont be able to close the bonnet haha.

well this should be fun. ill post up pics at the end of the week since i finish exams on tuesday.

thanks for the helpful template. much appreciated!
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

well if its a good box, i will buy one off ya gpx000 :)
gpx000
Mechanic

Post by gpx000 »

haha yeah ill see how it goes. hopefully its good and effective.
ill post up pictures when its done. need to do some modifications with measurements first haha.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

:lol:
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

:what: