DIY: How to replace your dash bulbs with LEDs

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO338
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FTO338 »

Lenny wrote:Don't suppose anyone has a parts listing for all the led's requiered??

Would like to just plug and play these baby's....
Try page 1
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Lenny
Grease Monkey

Post by Lenny »

Cheers for that.... :oops: , what i meant was using the Australian provided sites. ie page 1 was from 2004.

I am just wondering if anyone has ventured into this lately?
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

Mate,

www.ultraleds.co.uk is still the best place to go IMHO. Postage to Australia is bugger all considering the size and weight of a hand full of tiny globes.

Don't worry about the 4 globe T10's for the main dials just get the new 30% brighter wide angle T10's (one globe) and feed them in through the face of the dials.

The new brighter T5's are also more than bright enough for the aircon unit.

You will also need an extra T5 for the steering column illuminated ring and 3 T3 globes for the fog light, aerial and mirror switches.

To change the mirror switch unit requires desoldering the PCB board and a lot of stuffing around..

Cheers

Chris
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

check previous page for australian based sites.

they sell these led which might be useful for the dash :D
dj_ules
Mechanic

Post by dj_ules »

where did u find those lEd's .. i just bought some and my dash is all patchy just done it the other day
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I just ordered some 501 types...30% brighter as mentioned above from the UK. Will be here in a week or so. I got some T5 wide angles in blue and white but will be using these for other stuff...not bright enough for the dash..I've been playing around with all the bulbs and leds for a few weeks and have decided the 501 (T10) type is the way to go.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well did you order 501 (T10) single or 4 led in one?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FTO338 wrote:Well did you order 501 (T10) single or 4 led in one?
Kev I got the single one....I think it will be bright enough....Its just a big LED with a flat end....My dials I nearly bright enuf now...so i think the extra light will make it just right...let u know mate. The other T5's I got from the US were ok...but not good enuf for the dials...but good for everything else that need T5s at a direct replacement
dj_ules
Mechanic

Post by dj_ules »

you guys sound like LED experts lol.. i bought these ones
http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive ... e_bulb.htm

T5mm wide angle wedge 12V DC ( in my dash right now) blotchy

T10mm wide angle wedge ( in my voltage.. its like one big bright spot in the middle)

i think im going to just buy the 300$ EL dials from autoshop.
what do u guys think.. ps.. if you guys are stuffin around with the dials .. do you think u can get me the part number for the plastic black bit.. wich represents high beams , petrol. etc . i lost mine somewhere. so i goto get another one..
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

dj_ules wrote: i think im going to just buy the 300$ EL dials from autoshop.
what do u guys think..
I originally had an EL dials, but it doesn't light up anymore, dam thing cost me $500 almost 4yrs ago. So now i decided to get KMC V3 & DIY LED, cost less, & if its stuff up again, i just replace the LED & not stress about paying over $300 a set.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

ya FTO388 has the right idea...one I find the right LEDS! The V3/V4 KMC dials seem to require a little more light than the stocks...once I'm done I will be able to post up exactly what I have done...bt basically I have followed this thread.
dj_ules
Mechanic

Post by dj_ules »

how long did they last since u bought the el dials ? maybe a fuse or conection problem was the cause for them ?

theyr worth 265$ i think thats still a rip off. max should be atleast 180.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I had them for over 3yrs, & its not fuse, cause i've check everything already. :wink:

The only reason why my old set were that much back then was because its a custom purple colour. And getting a FTO EL dial was hard, let alone custom colour. Now u can get them everywhere. :roll:
dj_ules
Mechanic

Post by dj_ules »

hmm everywhere u say? wanna name these everywhere places for me :lol: ,
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well in Vic theres Motorware, JetSpeed, Cyber Century, RevZone...etc

Just go & buy a High Performance Import Mag, & theres heaps dials shops, they might not show the pics of a FTO dial, but if you ring them, they most likely able to get them for you :wink:
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

ok well I've got ultra bright T5 and t10 fitted both and they still look sh*t...very disapointed...the 6.5 globes from autobahn look better in my opinion...its simply not bright enough...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

What colour does Autobarn had for T6.5? And do they call them T6.5? Which Autobarn did u went to?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I had some stock 6.5 sized globes which u can buy from anywhere...just go in and have a look on their rack..not leds...they are larger than t5 sizes and fit straight into the holder. to tell u the truth I rekcon they look better cos the light is not as white..cheeper also...I'm a bit pissed spent all this money on LEDS and its not right yet...wideangle/super bright etc...spent over $100 OMG all the good stuff. I'm not sure what to do now...

Everything works...but its not as bright as I would like...looks ok but not as good as it should..
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

ok ok...I have finally got my V4 dials looking good...after over $100 spent on wide angle, ultrabright (aparently) T5 and T10 leds from the UK and the US I decided that they all sucked...

Once I worked out how to mount a t10 in the holder (which is quite simple actually and there is a refernece in this guide how to do it) I went to autobahn and bought myself 5 x 10mm globes...not leds for $2 each i.e. $10 in total...fitted this like the t10 leds and tried it out....the result was the best so far.

There are still bright spots at 4k on the tacho and 140kmph on the speedo which are most noticable in the daylight...once its all dark...and the whole dash lights up its not as noticable...

All up the end result cost $10 and 10min labour...wish I knew this before Istarted buying sh*t from overseas...my wife is rofl !!

If anyone wants a full guide on how to replace the globes and getting the console in/out..its quite easy so don't be afraid!!!

KJ
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

dj_ules wrote:where did u find those lEd's .. i just bought some and my dash is all patchy just done it the other day
check my previous post 1 page or two ago...there you'll find the links :D