DIY: Cold air induction (the cheap way) ;)

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Foe
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Cold air induction (the cheap way) ;)

Post by Foe »

I realise Im going to cop a sledging for the ULTRA dodgeness of this mod but it worked so I'll put it up anyway. Motivated due to my flat-mate beating me in his FTO I tried to find a way to give mine the edge. Cold air induction seemed to be the cheapest and I set forth to find a alternative.

I spent $50 at bunnings and bought my self some pvc piping of variose types and used the instructions off Funky Fto to get the front bumper off. Then used a combination of wire screws and silicon to fashion together the final product. Took about 2 hours and the dyno's speak for themselves.

Looks dodge under the hood (if you look hard) but from the outside you wouldnt even know its there.

Thats under the hood in front of the grill it will look better once I paint it all black.

Thats in the airbox with my new fat ass pipe feeding straight into it.

Before the mod

After the mod.

So Im pretty happy with it. Only issue is that the new pipe is a bit wider then the old one so it pushes the tire cover a little towards the wheel making a bit of a sound at extreme right turns. Only thing left to do is get a K&N filter.
Last edited by Foe on Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

where do u get a home dyno from? i oughtta get myself one of these hehehe... Nice work! 10 points for top efforts! :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

despite the amount of time and effort i've put into developing stuff i'm not going to flame you :) or anything like that.

one word of warning is check the hoses regularly for the first few months then on a couple of monthly basis.

why?
your not using automotive piping and because of this it could degrade very quickly.

anyway nice effort :)
Teania
Mechanic

Post by Teania »

The important thing is that you are happy with it - good on ya!
(but I agree it will look better black ... lol :P )
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Great stuff, now i know what 2 do with my spare vacuum cleaner :twisted:

You can always spray those piping with colour cans anyway.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Good Idea 8)
I don't know whether this would give me as much power as you got, cos i aint got a box... :roll:

The rectangular piece that you used, can i just confirm that you made it so that it is on an angle (deeper on the passengers side, and shallower on the drivers side)...

Or is it parrallel to the front bar?
I hope u know what i mean... :roll:
Name: Boris
Rides: Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR, Volvo XC60 & 3 push bikes!
Foe
Grease Monkey

Post by Foe »

Hey GPXXX the home dyno is a software package that once you feed it a wav file from your crack angle (to the ecu) sensor it gives you a very accurate reading. Just sync the software with a real dyno that youve done and away you go.

Boris - Yeah it does fade back into the pipe, would have liked to give it more of a angle but theres not a whole lot of room there. That flat pipe fits the intake perfectly.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Foe wrote:Hey GPXXX the home dyno is a software package that once you feed it a wav file from your crack angle (to the ecu) sensor it gives you a very accurate reading. Just sync the software with a real dyno that youve done and away you go.
interesting! where do you get the software from? i'm not sure how accurate it can be given other variables (ambient air temp/humidity etc) but yeah it'd be great if you could post another DIY section on how to set up your own home dyno hehe... :D
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

I think there are links to the software's web site on FTOWA.
LED ALL the things.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

nope, can't find it... :(
Foe
Grease Monkey

Post by Foe »

yeah this pretty much covers it

http://www.ftowa.com/html/workshop/workshopart04.html

But I used a laptop rather then that apparatus that he used. a lot easier but theres a few issues with the format of the wav file for the software to pick it up properly. If anyone has this down to a science I'd love to know. At the moment we rec via gold wave, even out the peaks, save as a 8 bit pcm wav then open in sound rec and save it as a 22 bit wav.

Its a paain but it works.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

ahhh, thanks for that - might give it a go sometime hehe :D
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

the main question still stands...
did you beat your friend??

EDIT:
just realized... this is a really really old thread.. lol