DIY: Budget Intake

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

21mrk
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Budget Intake

Post by 21mrk »

Hey all, This is for all the people who like DIY or are just on a budget like me :lol:

I made a very nice stainless intake for pretty cheap..well I think its nice, but you can be the judge.

What you need:

1x 45 degree 3 inch stainless pipe. - for Brisbane people, this cost me $43 from Right Price Exhaust at Moss st.

1x 3 inch 90 degree rubber bend - Again, Brisbane people, Louis Hose and Seals $18

2x Hose clamps - $4 or somthing...

oh and dont forget the 8mm stainless very tiny pipe to weld on for the breather line. and dont forget the host for that too!! I did and had some last min running around 8O

the 45 degree bend was perfect to bend around the battery to where the old air box was, so there was no welding needed there.

The only welding needed was for the small bit for the breather and I also needed about 1.5 inch cut off the pipe on the air filter side. but that only cost $5 from Right Price Exhaust.

Here are some pics..

Oh yeah, and it sounds COOL! and with all the hose and little crap it was about $100 all up or something close! But I did spend $30 for a meter of hose :lol:
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

not bad...
couple of things

1. Is the pod on a mounting bracket???? if not you will wear it out through vibrations very quickly.
2. your sucking a lot of hot air, which will reduce possible power gains.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

looks very neat indeed dude... great work!

if you incorporate some sort of CAI ducting and an enclosed airbox or heat shield, you will easily reap the benefits! :D
21mrk
Grease Monkey

Post by 21mrk »

yeah, well there is no heat shield...for now :P

But yes, its on a bracket so there is no movement..I found that it did wobble before I put the bracket on.

I think I will make a heat shield one day, but as I said..this is just a budget cheap version 8)

Im sure if you just want a bolt on with no work to fit it, then you should probably save your $ and get the UAS one...but for me, I like to "give it a go" :lol:
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

21mrk wrote:but for me, I like to "give it a go" :lol:

haha so do i ;)

i'm just lucky to have Unifiler and Unique AutoSport's at my disposal, to help build stuff ;) and best of all everyone gets to benefit from it :D
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

mate, I think it looks fantastic! If you dont have any copyright on it :P I might make one myself! really looks the part!
21mrk
Grease Monkey

Post by 21mrk »

cheers! Share the wealth..thats what I alwasys say :)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hey 21mrk, that looks awesome, great job. :D
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

can this be moved to DIY?

I just think its a great looking mod and know a few people have mentioed doing it (and may not have seen this old post)
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

Nice one!!
one question 21mrk, how thick is the pipe?
i have some SS piping around here but i found it to be too heavy.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

you could probably use anything from 60mm id bigger.. just depends on how you want to attach it to the TB or cut your original intake...
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

smorison wrote:you could probably use anything from 60mm id bigger.. just depends on how you want to attach it to the TB or cut your original intake...
I didn't asked about the width :roll: , what i was wondering in this case was the thickness of the pipe, 1mm 2 mm 3mm.
I have 3mm pipe but that seems way too heavy for it.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

anyone recommend a good palce to source the 45 degree pipe from and to do the welding in Melbourne? (or will any exhaust place be able to help). Mainly wondering if anyone has found a particular workshop helpful.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Mmmm most exhaust place should able to custom one for you, i know the one near SL can do it, its call Victoria exhaust or something along those line, is on Westall Rd, & they got this huge signs that say "we do truck exhaust".

Ohh they also got a custom pipe bending machine. :D
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
OC
Grease Monkey

Post by OC »

Looks good! I will have a go at this when I egt my FTO! :D
fto617
Veteran Mechanic

Post by fto617 »

hey guys when do u get a mounting bracket???
i got ITGfilter on stock pipings
shue
Oldtimer

Post by shue »

a question to the person who made this diy, what filter u got there and its dimensions. im making the same thing but taking it one step futhur and adding an airbox. just having difficulties finding the filter :oops:
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

Don't think he uses the forums anymore. Im guessing use a K & N filter. Should easily fit the 3inch pipe (unless you want to use 4 inch piping tapering into 3 inch at the engine end).
shue
Oldtimer

Post by shue »

im using 3 inch though lee reakons i should use 4.5 inch taper down to 3 near the tb, would it make any difference. ?
BuCkEt
Oldtimer

Post by BuCkEt »

Ok dudes.....it really isn't THAT hard to comprehend.

You want to get as much air as possible, as cold as possible, as fast as possible, into your throttle body.

So naturally a LARGER intake tube, which holds MORE air, is going to be MORE beneficial than a SMALLER intake tube which holds LESS air.