DIY: Window rattle fix

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

JohanGPX
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by JohanGPX »

Hey guys, did this in about 20 minutes - easy & well worth it!
Click on the pictures to see full size

First, take the door cover off. This is held by a total of 6 screws (circled in pictures) & are covered by little plugs that can be removed easily using a flat screw driver or something similar. The bottom screw can be a bit hard to see, but if you stick the screw driver through the hole you'll get it eventually - just don't drop it!

After removing the 5 screws shown, pull the door handle out and remove the door handle cover & unscrew the last screw (circled).

Once this is done, you can slide your fingers in all around the door cover and carefully pull it out as it is still held by little clips, it should now look something like this:

You may want to unplug the wires to the electric windows but you'll be moving it up in just a second anyway. This is fairly easy to locate, the bunch of wires come out from the door and directly under your electric window switches. There's a clip on the back side of the plug to remove it from the door cover - your door cover should now come completely free from the door.

Remove the speaker bracket so you can see the actual window guide (assuming your windows are currently down), try to move the window guide (circled) backwards and forwards to get a fair idea of how much play there currently is.

Next, wind your window up until you can see the window guide through the upper hole (see picture below). I found it easiest to remove the 10mm nut using one of these (I'm having a mental blank). Once you've loosened it, it should unscrew easily using your fingers.

Pull the window guide out from the threaded rod & out from the door (not as tricky as it looks).

How you do this next part is completely up to you, whether you want to try to get a hold of a brand new plastic piece someone else said was $25 each, or wether you just want to do it the free way. In the picture below, i've put a washer between the metal in the window guide and the piece of plastic to reduce the gap - I'm sure this would work just fine, but I ended up going with a little piece of thick double sided tape from bunnings (had it lying around) as it sits nicely, it's definitely not going anywhere and it provides a little cushion. If you find the washer or whatever you decide to use to make the gap smaller too big (either it won't go back over the rail or it will be very hard to slide up and down) - just try something smaller until you find the right gap. Over time the plastic wears down, and this is what causes the window rattle.

Now all you have to do is put it back together. Putting the window guide back on may be a little tricky, depending on how small you made the new gap, but just slide it back on the rod first (angled down), and just turn it so the plastic goes back over the rail. Also, before you put everything back together, plug the electric windows back in and make sure the resistance is not too much by winding your windows up & down a couple of times.

Done - no more window rattle! :D
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Re: DIY: Window rattle fix

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Thanks for the DIY. I managed to disassemble and have a good at fixing the issue but no luck :P

I'm thinking of buying the plastic bit and greasing up the window slider to stop the wear.

Do you know where to buy them from?
JohanGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by JohanGPX »

No problem!

I'm not too sure where to buy the plastic bits from as I only saw some other guy mention that they cost $25.. I'll have a look around, guess it would be a bit easier if I knew what they were called :p

I fixed the window rattle in another 2 FTO's using the same method, maybe try make the gap even smaller with more tape or whatever you used?
JohanGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by JohanGPX »

Just had a search around, there's another guide on completeFTO, the part numbers are MB321765 and MB321766 (driver's side and passenger's side I'm guessing). I found them on www.trademotion.com, but I'm sure there's other suppliers available,

Good luck :D
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Yeah I probably had the gap too small. Oh well it's a piece of mind to have brand new parts.

Just found them on Camskill :)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s600p3855 ... g)_FTO%5Cs_
JohanGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by JohanGPX »

Not a bad price either :D - considering buying a set myself.

:cheers:
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I'll see how much shipping is from Camskill because I've ordered a few parts. If the shipping is a lot I'll buy ~5 sets and flog them off to you guys :)
FTO-BOY
Mechanic

Post by FTO-BOY »

If you grab extra set then I'll grab a set off you. My rattles are
Getting annoying

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.024273,151.084909
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

I bought brand new parts, then later i greased up the rails and its been pretty sweet.. I dont remember when i did that but that means its been pretty long ago which is a good sign...

But what about the rattle that comes from the rear of the door? This guide is for the front of the door and i'm getting a different rattle from the rear of the door...

I know it's from the rear of the door - when I press my elbow on that part, the rattling quietens...
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Does the door close properly?
LED ALL the things.
JohanGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by JohanGPX »

When you open door, you'll see the thing on the car that it actually locks in to (not sure what it's called). It's held by 2 screws, just make sure they're in properly - apart from that i can't think of anything, unless your door has been taken off, and it sits a little crooked so it doesn't close properly..
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Just got an e-mail back from Camskill, it will be 10-15 pounds shipping. Probably easier if everyone orders it themselves :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Dunno why you guys go to so much trouble with these when you can just hit the guide braket with a hammer a few times to reduce the gap. Rattle gone.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

I replaced both sides and the passenger side is still making a slight rattle. Are there any other parts that come loose around the window? I'm leaning towards the central locking as it's also a bit sticky on the passenger door
mosti
Mechanic

Post by mosti »

Great DIY, piece of piss to do. Put up with my rattling windows for almost 2years! Now the only sounds i can hear are the loud exhaust and noisy fukin tappets :twisted:

@-Nighthawk-
It might possibly be the rods that run through the door that makes the handle work etc...(hope your following lol). Try putting sticking some spongy material with double sided tape behind the rods in places where they can make contact with the door.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Did as guide stated. Still rattling just as bad when I close the door though. However the rattling down the bottom is gone (as in using hand to move it). Something else must be f*cked :scratch:
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
mindxcycle
Apprentice

Post by mindxcycle »

Sorry bumping old thread but would anyone have the images somewhere?