DIY: MOTORISED SIDE MIRROR REPAIR

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

PHIL069
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: MOTORISED SIDE MIRROR REPAIR

Post by PHIL069 »

My passenger side mirror would fold in but would not fold out. This must be a common issue as it has happened to both my mirrors.
This DIY could help you if your side mirror/s won't fold out, won't fold in or wont fold out and in.
It goes without saying if your mirror doesn't fold in and out "check your fuse is not blown before you attempt this DIY"

This is how I repaired mine...

You will need...

Must have...

Philips head screw driver
Flat head screw driver
10mm socket + small extension + ratchet (easier with 1/4" set)
Silicone or araldite or a good glue you have already

May also utilise but not necessary...
Soldering iron
Multimeter

Steps...
1. Fold in your side mirror using the switch in the dash. If your mirror won't fold in automatically then fold it in manually using your hand.
You will now see the 2 x 10mm bolts that hold your mirror onto your door.

2. Remove the 2 x 10mm bolts with your socket. Be careful not to scratch the paint.

3. Carefully wiggle and pull the mirror slightly away from the door. You will see the wire harness plugged into the base of the mirror. Press on the lock tab and pull out the harness.

4. Optional Step You now have the mirror assembly in your hands, put it down in a safe place. You can now test your wire harness coming out of your door to check that you are receiving power from the switch. Using a multimeter, switch it to volts (DC20 Volts), insert the two probes into the harness inline with the brown + brown/black wires. Get an assistant to turn on the ignition and operate the mirror in/out switch. Your multimeter should read upto +12V (positive) for one direction and upto -12V (negative) for the other direction. If you get no reading your problem is a wiring issue not covered in this DIY, If you get a reading continue to the next step.

5. Sit down with your mirror or put it on the bench, remove the black rubber gasket from the base by pulling on it.

6. Using your philips head screwdriver remove the three screws from the base and remove the base.

7. Grab the bottom of the glass mirror with your hand and lever it away from the assembly carefully and firmly until the bottom unclips. Hold the glass mirror up slightly and slide it out of the upper mounts.

8. Unsrew the 4 screws and lever the plastic clip to remove the trim.

9. Unscrew 3 screws to remove the mirror adjusting motor assembly. Leave the wires attached throughout the entire DIY.

10. Unsrew 4 screws to remove the mounting plate.

11. Unscrew 1 screw from inside the assembly and 1 screw from the base to remove the folding motor assembly. Remove it carefully by lifting it through the front of the mirror assembly while giving it a wiggle.

12. Now you have the folding motor assembly in your hands. Remove the dust cover by pulling it up while levering it away from the small clips at either end, this can be done by hand alone.

13. You can now see the small electric motor and the small round circuit board that supplies the motor with power. Check the wiring, if they are broken, fix them.

14. Remove the circuit board by carefully levering it off with a flat head screwdriver. You will need to lever it a bit at a time from different locations around it untill a comes away.

15. Remove the contact strip assembly from the circuit board by pressing on the clips.

16. Now as you can see 1 or both of the contact strips may have broken away from the assembly.

17. This contact strip can be easily re-attatched. Place it back into position. (optional - get your soldering iron and melt the centre locating knob to hold the contact strip in place) Get your chosen glue and glue it into position. While you are there you might as well put some glue on the other strip too. Allow the glue to dry (I gave my silicone at least 4 hours in the sun)

18. Press the contact strip assembly back onto the circuit board. Press the circuit board back onto the motor assembly making sure you line up the assembly locating pin into the hole. Put the dust cover back onto the motor. Plug the motor assembly back into the wire harness coming out of your door and test to see if it works.

19. Put the mirror assembly back together by reversing the above steps. Don't overtighten the screws as they are going into plastic. When you get to the glass mirror, slide the upper mounts in first (blue arrows) then insert your flathead screwdriver under the mirror mounting plate to brace it and press down on the glass with your hand to clip it back in.

I hope this easy and cheap fix repaired your mirror as it did mine. :D
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: DIY: MOTORISED SIDE MIRROR REPAIR

Post by silverGPX »

Nice clear pics and instructions.

I am going to do this as my drivers doesn't fold back out.

Thank you so much Phil!!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Good work, Phillip!

Cheers biffle :D
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Thanks for the DIY, I think I need to replace the mini motor in mine. Can it be easily taken apart / put back together again?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Thanks for all the great comments everyone :P
It took me longer to do the DIY than it did to do the repair :lol:

@ -Nighthawk- Easy to do, a little time consuming.
You will have to follow all the steps and you might find you have the same problem anyway.

Then take off the wire harness from the motor, it just pulls off. Then take out a further 4 screws, take the lid off of the motor assembly, take out one screw holding the front of the motor to the lid and replace motor. Unsure if there are any springs in there so just be carefull taking off the lid.

I already unplugged the motor wiring harness and took out 4 extra scews in this pic, but I didn't need to so I just put them back in :oops: . You can see where they came from though.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
mattman
Grease Monkey

Post by mattman »

one of the best diy's ive seen good work buddy :D
FTO ftw
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Great DIY Phil!
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Fantastic work Phil. That would have taken a while to put together.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Great DIY!!
    fraz91
    Hair-do

Post by fraz91 »

Great DIY Philly! :D
    I'll have an FTO one day... i swear!

until then:
    1. 2001 Merc-Benz A160 (porta-loo on wheels)
    2. 2007 Peugeot 307 TDi (more fun than you'd expect)
    3. [url=ttp://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25373]2009 Mitsubishi Triton Di-D (a monster in its own right)[/url]
    4. 1992 Nissan NX Coupe (club car and project car)
    5. 1996 Holden SB Barina - "The Nugget"
    6. 1996 Jeep XJ Cherokee Sport - The Budget Build
    7. 2010 Toyota Landcruiser 76 Series - V8 Goodness... - Build coming soon.
    8. 1990 Audi 90 manual - The delightfully dignified daily driver
    Astron_Boy wrote:No correction needed Gen Y, you are correct.
    Bennoz wrote:My rubbing happens on the inside.
    aza013
    NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

:thumright: from me, great work.
    PHIL069
    Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

No worries everyone :P Thanks :P
    Do I get a Certificate now? :lol:
    I hope this DIY will help many members with a cheap fix.

I will have to do some moar DIY's in the future, with all this encouragement :D
    Vectose
    Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

DIY: Steering Rack Replacement

Step 1: Bend the subframe

:lol:
    Bennoz wrote:
    Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
    A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
    PHIL069
    Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Vectose wrote:DIY: Steering Rack Replacement

Step 1: Bend the subframe

:lol:
    :tongue:
    Hadi

Post by Hadi »

Thanks, worked great.
    had the screw on the far right jammed. I am guessing the previous owner had problems with the screw thread so he just super glued it in. Ended up just taking out
    the 2 plastic pannels out together while they were attached, it made things a little harder to work around that's for sure.
    PHIL069
    Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

:cheers:
    Glad I could help.

The bill is in the mail :twisted:
    XenaP
    Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

THIS is why I love this forum!! I only found the cool folding mirrors by accident today (yes I know - how observant am I??) so I folded the drivers in and now the stupid thing is stuck. No matter if I switch it to left or right, only the passenger one moves.

One search query and I have my answer :D On ya Phil :thumleft:
    KyzPride
    Grease Monkey

Post by KyzPride »

XenaP wrote:THIS is why I love this forum!! I only found the cool folding mirrors by accident today (yes I know - how observant am I??) so I folded the drivers in and now the stupid thing is stuck. No matter if I switch it to left or right, only the passenger one moves.

lol SAME problem XenaP...passenger side works, drivers side is being slack! lol I bought a drivers side mirror off ebay, installed today and it still doesn't work :? haha $70bucks later (good work kylie) grr... could BOTH mirrors have the same problem you recon? or could it be the connection between the switch and the mirror? help lol :cry:

Your DIY was very easy to understand! good work :)
    PHIL069
    Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

KyzPride wrote:
    XenaP wrote:THIS is why I love this forum!! I only found the cool folding mirrors by accident today (yes I know - how observant am I??) so I folded the drivers in and now the stupid thing is stuck. No matter if I switch it to left or right, only the passenger one moves.

lol SAME problem XenaP...passenger side works, drivers side is being slack! lol I bought a drivers side mirror off ebay, installed today and it still doesn't work :? haha $70bucks later (good work kylie) grr... could BOTH mirrors have the same problem you recon? or could it be the connection between the switch and the mirror? help lol :cry:

Your DIY was very easy to understand! good work :)
    Ohh shux :oops:
    Thanks guys.....I mean girls :D

@ KyzPride...completting the DIY to step 4 should answer your question, get "Gorgeous Sahin" to help. :lol:
    KyzPride
    Grease Monkey

Post by KyzPride »

Your DIY was very easy to understand! good work :)[/quote]
    Ohh shux :oops:
    Thanks guys.....I mean girls :D

@ KyzPride...completting the DIY to step 4 should answer your question, get "Gorgeous Sahin" to help. :lol:[/quote]
    lol....righto!