DIY: Interior mods - re-upholstery & led lighting

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

RallyMad
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by RallyMad »

Great work spastic rob.
paladin
Mechanic

Post by paladin »

dude i gotta ask!!

you know hte area you have done around the door handel? how did you do that? when i got hte car it had this mesh like stuff pealing off and when i pulled it off it left this odd blue ish tinge from the glue!

how did you get it to mould so nicly/ what did you use to hold it down / what fabric?????

PLEASE :D
spastic

Post by spastic »

Hi paladin,

The fabric is microsuede.. it's only a little bit elasitc, so wasn't the easiest thing to mould with.

You'll notice there's a minor fold that was necessary at the bottom right on the drivers door. I used a can of fabric adhesive that I bought at Spotlight, just sprayed onto the original door trim and stuck the microsuede to it. Then just pushed the outside edges into the crease and cut (carefully) with a razor blade.

The cutouts where the handle part attaches to the door allow you to manipulate the fabric around that section without coming up with any more folds.

(Haven't done much more yet as been having a break from it.. should hopefully have both front seats done on the weekend and a start on the rear seat too)

Hope this has helped.

-spastic rob
spastic

Post by spastic »

Replying to my own reply... how shameful :oops: :D

Another member has expressed interest in how to build the door pods.

I've managed to track down the site i used as a guide, in case anyone else is interested, here it is:
http://www.xrtwo.com/howto/doorbuild/

-spastic rob
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

Hi,

You're probably thinking man just get on it and do it kind of thing but it's a little bit harder for me.....wish I had some one who wants to the same thing so we can do them together....
:)

Just thinking though....how good would a hand stitched seat cover be?
Cause they need to be able to handle quite a stress due to ppl constantly moving in and out of the seats....

Maybe I should get my self a sewing machine....and need to know where to get some good material for the seat....
i wonder if leather would be quite hard to do....

So microsuede is pretty good huh? What's the material like? I don't think I know what a microsuede is.....I wonder if I go to lincraft here in sydney they may have these.....

:)

Thank you...
paladin
Mechanic

Post by paladin »

SWEET THANK YOU
bozhu001
Apprentice

Post by bozhu001 »

Hi Spaz

Just a quick one,

I was taking off the seat covers last night, I can easily remove the back support piece with the zippers, but how do i remove the bottom piece??
do i need to take the whole seat out of the car??
Foe
Grease Monkey

Post by Foe »

sure do.......hey how many of you dudes are doing it??
bozhu001
Apprentice

Post by bozhu001 »

Ok, my drivers side seat is now in my garage fully dismanteled

Problem: both back rest piece and the bottom sitting piece is actually sew into the foam with a piece of metal rod inside the foam, hence i can't take out my seat cover, otherwise i would ripp the foam apart.

How did you guys manage to pull the seat cover completely off the foam??
Foe
Grease Monkey

Post by Foe »

Go Boz!

Ok those are actually held in by those annoying metal rings that they use to hold the rear of the back rest to the front underneath the zip. I'd recommend two pairs of pliers. Spas just ripped his through haha dont know why but he said that it didnt matter because you attach them back together with zip ties when you put it back together.

Hope that helps Ill post some pics this weekend of the finished fronts. THey look aweesome and the embrodery we got on the top of the head rest really ties it in. Anyone in brisbane want FTO on any material cause we paid for the design ($50!!) and restiches are only $9 (apparantly).
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

When you take the seat off, is it just a matter of undoing 4 bolts underneath the seats?
Or is there more to it than that to take the seats off?

Thank you,
spastic

Post by spastic »

Yep, to remove your seats from the car, it's just the 4 bolts.

To get the covers off, you need to:
-remove seat from car
-unzip zipper (duh!) :)
-(optional) detach the part you sit on by undoing 4 bolts underneath and one on the side
-bend open or cut metal rings in the following spots
5 at the base of the backrest
4 on the inside of the backrest
8 on the inside of the seat

Pics will be up soon!

If you have the patience to do this (you'll need plenty).. the results are pretty impressive.

-spastic rob
bozhu001
Apprentice

Post by bozhu001 »

thanks for the tip, now i can get my cover off, I might actually make another cover out of leather... hehe
fto12345
Mechanic

Post by fto12345 »

So how do you take the seats off the car?
I thought it was the 4 bolts that were underneath the seats.
But you are saying that is just to take the bottome bit where we seat to be taken off.

So how do you take the whole car seat out?
Do you take it our with the rail? If so, then you have to do some thing with the ratil screws?

How is this done?

And just out of curiosity, how hard is it to retrim with leather?

Thank you,
spastic

Post by spastic »

no, no.. the four bolt you can see- two at the front, and two at the back (when the seat is forward), will let you remove the seat from your car.

the four bolts to detach the base of the seat from the rails are underneath the seat.

-spastic rob
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

do you think 'real leather' will stretch nicely over the door trim?? I took my door off today to get to the speakers, and it looks like it would be very easy to change the material over.. wouldnt even realli have to cut any new material - just tighten over the area needed.. is this right?
Foe
Grease Monkey

Post by Foe »

I think probably not without some form of crease. The microsuade we used wasn't very elastic but there was no way we could do it. Leather might be a little better but it has to be pretty damn elastic to stretch in that large indent towards the back of the door. Touble is you wont know untill u try it so, fell like taking a risk :P
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

Hey I was just wondering how i take the backseat out. I already have taken the bit you sit on in the back out and put leatherette on it but the bit that supports your back has me stumped? Any help would be appreciated ASAP. Want to get these done. Thanx guys
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

dood

there are two bolts which hold two "bits' ontot the back...they are under the bottom bit u just took out..17mm from memory..maybe 15mm..sockets will do the trick...

then to push it upwards as there are 3 hooks to overcome.

takes about 2min

KJ
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Hell yeah im gonna go try this 2morrow thanks heaps for the idea