DIY: How to Flare a Brake Line / Install a Flare Nut

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shiggz
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: How to Flare a Brake Line / Install a Flare Nut

Post by shiggz »

This post is aimed to show you how to flare a brake line, and install a flare nut. Some of you may need to do this if your flare nut is rounded or seized, like mine was. Though try and loosen the existing flare nut by filing the nut into a hex/square shape, and use some vice-grips on it! If that doesn't work, then this guide is for you!

Tools Required:
1. Tube Flaring Kit http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... Kit/214269
2. Angle grinder or Dremel with Cutting Tool
2. Sanding tool / File (Flat file + Circular File)
3. New Flare Nut
4. Scrap metal or rubber to secure the new brake line to the hard brake line

Method:

1. Cut off the line as close as possible to the nut (You want to keep as much of the hard brake line as possible, especially if you don't flare the line properly and need to try it again)

2. Use a dremel / file / sanding tool to make the line completely flat. Preparation is key to flaring a line.

3. Use a circular file to clean up the inside of the line, and to also put a slight bevel on the inside, to create a better flare and better seal. Also use a regular file on the outside section of the line to create a slight bevel.

4. To confirm that the line is shaven completely flat, bolt the line into the flare-bar, with the uniform/horizontal surface of the bar adjacent to the line. Stick the brake line only a touch out of the flare-bar, enough to file it to the horizontal section of the flare-bar, which ensures a levelled surface of brake line.

5. The line should then be top-notch and should look like this:

6. Before starting to flare the line, make sure you put the new flare nut through the line! I used masking tape to hold it onto the line, out of the way

7. Again bolt the flare-bar onto the line, this time, with the conical indents adjacent to the line; ready to flare. Use the appropriate size conical flare indent for your application (Brake lines being 3/16"). Have the brake line bolted into the bar, such that it sticks out the same length as the first step of the flare-die. The first step, being the one closest to the nipple (not the base!). The picture is a little deceiving. But how it works is that the first step from the nipple actually forms the first flare on the line, until the base comes into contact with the flare-bar. With the line in the bar, tighten the bar, first tightening the butterfly nut closest to the nut. Tighten the bar till its snug, but don't over tighten it because you don't want to crack the line.

8. Lubricate the nipple / brake line with a touch of brake fluid, before flaring the line

9. Start the flaring process by inserting the flare-die, with the nipple into the line, and hold it together using the chuck. IMPORTANT: Make sure that the flare-die is completely perpendicular to the line! If it isn't, the line and hole will be lopsided, and you will have a useless flare and useless seal, and you'll have to start again. Flare the line by tightening the chuck such that the flare-die pushes into the line. Reverse the chuck every 1-2 turns (similar to that of threading a hole). The first flare will be finished once the chuck is turned, and the first step bottoms out. Not a heap of effort/strength is required to actually flare the line. Do not over tighten it!

10. Once the first flare is complete, loosen the chuck and remove the flare-die. The double flare comes by flaring the line a second time, without the flare-die. Start screwing the tip of the chuck into the brake line, ensuring that its going in completely straight. If it's done at an angle, you won't produce a true flare. Keep screwing the chuck in, until it becomes snug, again don't over tighten this; you'll know when its done.

11. Remove the chuck, and admire your flare!

Note, if you used the flare-die or chuck at an angle, you'll produce a flare like so:

You will then need to cut that off, and restart the entire process, including the prep work to get the line perfect before flaring it again.

12. Since the brake line was cut, it will be different to mount the line onto the existing metal bracket, as there will be less hard brake line, and more braided brake line on top of the bracket, as shown:

I secured the brake line using some rubber seals, metal tube and the existing metal bracket.

I used 2 of these rubber seals found from the 6a13tt airbox mounting hole (And a piece of metal that protruded the seal).

I simply cut the rubber seals in half, and squeezed one into the metal bracket, which gave me a place to use the existing metal clip. I then bent the small metal tube open, and wrapped it around the braided brake line, and wrapped the second rubber seal around that, above the bracket.

Finally cable tied the top rubber seal since it's cut in half, just to ensure it doesn't come off. I was then left with a pretty secure mounting point, used by scrap items, which still looks fairly factory :lol:

13. Screw the flare nut, into the new braided line, and that's it! Major problem diverted very easily 8) 8) 8)

Sututututuuuuu