DIY: The Best Headlight Upgrade You'll Ever Do For Under $50

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lolo888
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by lolo888 »

RallyMad wrote:ok thanks FTO338, tahts interesting to know, but the version R's also have a standard looking HB globe in the next part along side, does anybody know what tehse bulbs are? There are two in there.

And so to answer my intial question this is completly different from the GPX's which actually have the two beams for high and low beam in the seperate chambers or whatever right?
Hi, sorry newbie here =)
I've just bought a GPvR and it has white lights on low beam.. high beam and park lights have normal yellow lights...
can someone please confirm if this mod will work...
I'd like to get white lights all around... looks weird at the moment with white lights and yellow parkers =)

Also i assume it's white bulbs and not HIDs (how do i know if it's HID)??

thanks in advance
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Being a VR I would say you have HID's
when you turn on the lights do they start off dull and get brighter?
lolo888
Apprentice

Post by lolo888 »

aza013 wrote:Being a VR I would say you have HID's
when you turn on the lights do they start off dull and get brighter?
yeah they do... so i guess they are :) sweeet...

it looks weird though as the parker lighs and hihg beam are normal yellow..
i tried to search in the forum but couldn't find out the actual answer for facelift version...
do you know what model number is for parking lights and high beam for GPvR, also, can I use white HB3 for hihg beam?
does this DIY work for the GPvR facelift version?

Lastly, what are the light for the rear number plates? T10?
thanks.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Re: DIY: The Best Headlight Upgrade You'll Ever Do For Under

Post by Kustom »

Sorry to bring up a dead old post but does anyone have the pics for here, would be interesting for sure to see what theyve done.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Just get HID's wont jost too much more.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

I8A4RE wrote:Just get HID's wont jost too much more.
Was thinking about putting High beam HID's in there :P :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah I have HID in both high and low beam on my car. I even have a few high beam HID kit's left over from the group buy.

Personally I wouldn't put just low beams. I had low beams in for a while and you would be driving along flick on full beams and nothing would happen lol. They were so dim in comparrisson. HID full beam's rock
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

I8A4RE wrote:Yeah I have HID in both high and low beam on my car. I even have a few high beam HID kit's left over from the group buy.

Personally I wouldn't put just low beams. I had low beams in for a while and you would be driving along flick on full beams and nothing would happen lol. They were so dim in comparrisson. HID full beam's rock

Hmm.. Thinking about putting the High beam HID in my Low beams :D :lol: ..... What do you think?

EDIT: Why arn't my quotes working o_O.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

No, I wouuld save and HID in both but thats just my opinion. Otherwise do you have to do a lot of driving with your full beams? If you hardly use them then change them over but it wont be a straight swap you will have to modify them to fit.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Hey,

Sorry - My other posts didn't make to much sense and I'm confusing the both of us :lol: ahaha.

I'm going to be putting HID's in both Low beam & High beam. Okay we got that sorted. :P :lol:

What I was trying to say, is that do you think I can put some HIGH beam HID's in my LOW beam sockets? :) ... Ahaha... I know it will take modification - but will they be brighter? :)
Sorry dude T_T...
st3venn

Post by st3venn »

Sorry i just wanted to clear things up cause i absolutely have no idea about cars but really wants to learn.
Anyways, onto the topic, are we changing the yellow foglights into white driver lights ?

sorry for the newbie question :(
hugekim
Grease Monkey

Post by hugekim »

No problem, we're all here to learn and share.

This guide is just to put hi-beam globes into your normal headlight socket so that everything will be brighter (like you have hi-beam on constantly).

You're thinking of HIDs which are the bright white lights you see these days (on lots of cars but they can come factory on BMW's, Mercedes etc). Fog lights are the ones under the headlights and indicators and you should really try to keep those yellow (yellow pierces through fog the best).
st3venn

Post by st3venn »

OHS! i get it now
thanks for the help hugekim
should give this a shot on my next pay x)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Kustom_FTO wrote:Hey,

Sorry - My other posts didn't make to much sense and I'm confusing the both of us :lol: ahaha.

I'm going to be putting HID's in both Low beam & High beam. Okay we got that sorted. :P :lol:

What I was trying to say, is that do you think I can put some HIGH beam HID's in my LOW beam sockets? :) ... Ahaha... I know it will take modification - but will they be brighter? :)
Sorry dude T_T...
Oh ok, I think I know what your saying. Think of it this way, 8000k HID low beams are EXACTLY the same colour and brightness as 8000k high beam. The only difference being (in a fto) is different mounting bracket and the fact that the low beam is directed down and to the left. Where as the full beams are directed straight. So really there is no point in going to the trouble of mod'ing a set of full beams to fit. Just get the low beam ones.

I have had a bit of interest lately on HID kits. Who would be interested in another group buy?
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

I8A4RE wrote:Who would be interested in another group buy?
me for sure! i need em desperate :)
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

I might be depending on price. I still have to get around to fitting my angel eyes so have to pull the lights apart anyhow.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

I 2nd elnot, depending on the price.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
anthxnyz
Apprentice

Post by anthxnyz »

turns out this thread isn't that old :oops:

I was very interested in changing the colour of my headlights to something like arctic blue - as i have ultra white Parker lights and yellow halogens atm, looks a little tacky.

i visited autobarn, and they said they have HB4's - in crystal blue which are legal, then there is diamond blue which is a lot like arctic but Illegal, because they dazzle too much blue tinge.

Just wanted to find out what what the legal amount of kelvins, etc is alloud. the guy tried explaining about how some have a DOT cert on them to prove that they are legal, and the blue dazzle isn't to strong. - phillips brand HB4's - 100 bucks for a set of two :/

Just on the Narva site - any idea's on which one would look awesome/legal for QLD laws?

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse ... nce-globes

I really don't have any idea, ha thanks in advance! :D
JohanGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by JohanGPX »

Bringing up an old thread!

Does anyone have the pics for this or know if the job is easy enough without them? I got defected for my HID's so I'm too scared to put them back in and HB4 bulbs are pathetic (in my car anyway).

:cheers:
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

JohanGPX wrote:Bringing up an old thread!

Does anyone have the pics for this or know if the job is easy enough without them? I got defected for my HID's so I'm too scared to put them back in and HB4 bulbs are pathetic (in my car anyway).

:cheers:
Read through the thread with the title named "Sahin's FTO, number 2"