DIY: The Best Headlight Upgrade You'll Ever Do For Under $50

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO338
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FTO338 »

HID are totally different to standard bulb. Your HID move forward & backward to get two stage output, hince high/low beam, some HID only have low beam.

Some Euro car also call your type of HID Bi-Xennon.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

ok thanks FTO338, tahts interesting to know, but the version R's also have a standard looking HB globe in the next part along side, does anybody know what tehse bulbs are? There are two in there.

And so to answer my intial question this is completly different from the GPX's which actually have the two beams for high and low beam in the seperate chambers or whatever right?
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

Sounds like you have the same setup as me, which I believe is actually the same for all facelift FTOs (without the HID bulbs of course). We have a low beam HID bulb, a standard high beam bulb, and a park light bulb. The HID one is by itself in the smaller part, and the high beam and park light bulbs are together in the larger area.
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

It's gone :( - now carless...
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

ah, ok, that makes more sense thanks afterburner. But does yours standard bulbs have both high and low beam, because mine seems to.
afterburner
Mechanic

Post by afterburner »

*goes outside to make sure*

Nope, just the high beam in the standard bulb assembly. However the park light is in there as well, and this is on when the lights are on dip.
[url=http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/fto/index.htm][img]http://www.atom.net.nz/afterburner/ftologos.jpg[/img][/url]

It's gone :( - now carless...
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

also goes outside and downstair to check*

You are indeed right. :roll: :D
RichardH
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardH »

The image links on the very first post have gone up in smoke. Any chance of pointing them at valid images again? This was a useful thread, and the pics helped immensely! :)

- Rich
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

If you click on the link which Max had provided, its got similar pics

http://users.bigpond.net.au/startrade/o ... bs-LB.html
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rnbboi
Mechanic

Post by rnbboi »

can i just say... this mod is GOLD $$$ :twisted: :lol:

did it today, and hell it made a HUGE difference.

Mind u, i think i was blinded for a few seconds after standing in front of it to admire the difference it made heheh :o .

i really recommend this mod for those who dont want 2 spend big $$ for hid conversions but want some brighter light and clearer vision.

cheers.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

good thing u dug this up.. i wanna do this!!
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Shut up post whore lol im takin ova this thread lol

I dont know if anyone else has said this cause i got bored after the first 2 pages but my fto fits both HB3 and HB4 low beams in it.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
malcolm
Apprentice

Post by malcolm »

Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

rnbboi wrote:can i just say... this mod is GOLD $$$ :twisted: :lol:

did it today, and hell it made a HUGE difference.

Mind u, i think i was blinded for a few seconds after standing in front of it to admire the difference it made heheh :o .

i really recommend this mod for those who dont want 2 spend big $$ for hid conversions but want some brighter light and clearer vision.

cheers.
Mate I've been thinking about this since you've told me about it, and you shouldn't have been blinded by this mod coz either you looked straight into the headlights when you're squatting.......or your headlight angles need to be adjusted. :?
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

or maybe hes really short lol
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Well that's just it! He's about 6 foot tall! 8O
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

malcolm wrote:Will these bulbs work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ICE-BLUE-XENON-HE ... dZViewItem?
Yes. but don't expect them to be bright, as the blue tint its got actually makes it dimmer to get the "white light" effect.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

Tried to do this mod over the weekend, damn light is a real b*tch to take out. I think the previous over super clued it into the socket, any ideas?
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

could be that the previous owner tried the mod but didn't file the extra bits of the bulb base and its jammed into the socket...try unscrewing the little brackets that hold the bulb.
Last edited by Ther on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

I checked, the bulbs that is in atm is just the normal 51watt hb4's. I'll try it again tonight and see what happens.
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

seems the narva +30 bulbs are being replaced with +50's. i think same part number.
my motto; do nothing, then rest.