DIY: The Best Headlight Upgrade You'll Ever Do For Under $50

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lal
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by lal »

mxysxy wrote:Just a bit confused here, (due to my limited english)

>> Driving Lights - 2 x H3

Are we pointing "Driving Lights" as parker lights? Cause, in my stock setup, I think I only have parkers, low-beams, and high-beams.

I think the Driving lights Ruchi is referring to here are the FOG lights? That's how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong Ruchi.
<FONT color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT face="arial, helvetica, sans-serif" color=#ff00ff size=2><FONT size=2><FONT size=2>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT>
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Correct.

If they emit a yellow light they are "fog lights" and if they emit a white light they are "driving lights".

Yellow light penetrates fog but is not very good for night vision. White light is good for driving at night but is useless in fog as it reflects back. So the main difference between "fog lights" and "driving lights" is the colour of the bulb / light. :wink:
MIVEC is My Friend :D
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

ruchi wrote:Did you happen to touch the glass bulb with your hands? If so, oil from your skin will have got on them and dramatically shortened their life.
Nah mate, knew that touching the bulbs was a cardinal sin. The bulbs r just cheap garbage.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

i thought everyone knew about this mod?

Its very well known on the UK forums?

I've had this mod for 3 years now and repco sell a pair of the 9005 for 30 bucks.

Very useful mod indeed.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Boris wrote:I bought these:
:arrow: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... RK:MEWN:IT

I figured it's only $13, so may as well try. I will let you guys know how they go, I can also compare these to Jono's which I believe are the Narva +30 ones...
ah no!

i bought a set of those, as soon as a put them in, one blew, got another set free, they both blew a couple of months later.

They are so dull as well, the standard 9006 are brighter.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Since learning about this mod, doing it and posting up a DIY guide, I've now had three people say they've done this or knew about it. I've therefore got to ask, "why didn't you share this with us?" :?

These forums are supposed to be about sharing information and helping other FTO owners, it's not much good if you keep the info to yourself. :roll:

It would have saved me a lot of time and a few mistakes if people had shared their knowledge.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I'm really surprised by people not sharing information which could benefit others. :!:
efteoh
Grease Monkey

Post by efteoh »

ruchi wrote:Since learning about this mod, doing it and posting up a DIY guide, I've now had three people say they've done this or knew about it. I've therefore got to ask, "why didn't you share this with us?" :?

These forums are supposed to be about sharing information and helping other FTO owners, it's not much good if you keep the info to yourself. :roll:

It would have saved me a lot of time and a few mistakes if people had shared their knowledge.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I'm really surprised by people not sharing information which could benefit others. :!:
i strongly agree, hence the FTOaustralia community. but having said that how ever thou Ruchi, some people, like myself with the fog light mod, wouldnt have bothered posting it up as i thought "nah, its not worth posting etc. and people could do it them selves". i mean, my fog light mod is very simple, the only thing hard about it is to find the effort to do it. everyone knows that the fog light switch burns out and a fix is a relay. and thats why i wasnt going to post it up. but i guess the part numbers may help?.

i havent found this headlight mod on the net before. so i guess, it helped me a lot. i've not taken much note of it on the soarer pages as they use HB3 allready and they are upgrading from it!.
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

ruchi wrote:
Since learning about this mod, doing it and posting up a DIY guide, I've now had three people say they've done this or knew about it. I've therefore got to ask, "why didn't you share this with us?"

I do have to say sorry regarding this. But truthfully i thought it was such a simple swap (well the way i did it, bit butch) that i thought it wasn't enough for me to post it.
maybe next time i shouldn't assume that everyone has already done it :oops:
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Again, I apologise if I came across a bit harsh :)

The reason I am so surprised that none of the people who knew about this mod didn't post anything, is because there are so many threads on this forum with people looking for ways to improve the brightness and performance of their headlights.

I can understand people not posting "little tricks" about things which weren't much of an issue, but when headlights have been discussed so much on this forum, I am really surprised that no one who knew about this raised it and explained how to do it.

Oh well... that's off my chest now! :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

sorry i thought all you guys already knew aobut it, as UK FTO owners have known this mod for ages and has been widely known among owners.

anyway heres the link

http://www.versionr.com/bulbs/index.shtml
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... eName=WD1V

saw these,
Blue Xenon Headlight Globes - HB3 - 65W 4200K

could be a good option for those wanting a 'blue tinge', from my understanding may not be as bright as the "narva +30" but for those wanting a blue tinge, they are 65 W which may help.... $30 as well...
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

Just bought some
Hella Premium xenon halogen(cool blue) - Hb3 12v 65watt

They are meant to be made in the same factory as Narva and philips. this could mean they are almost the same as narva's cool blue...

But they arent verry bright and was a bit disapointed. i could tell by the light they emit on a car in front of me compared with the car in the other lane on their car in front.

I dont think im take any more chances.. im going with Ruchi and getting some +30's.....

Maybe it could be a grounding thing.. or a poistional thing??? or didnt i put it in right?
Jono
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

ok so will HB3 hi-beam HID be okay in the lo-beam projectors?

It would be hell bright (being HID) but also a hi-beam bulb...

Gonna get a set of HIDs so still deciding between hb3 vs hb4's...
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Jono, first trying adjusting the beam, try lowering it to focus more light directly in front of you instead of into the distance.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that Narva is owned by Philips.

Ellusion, in relation to the HB3 / HB4 HIDs, I suspect that they'll both have the same light output the only difference will be the connector / fitting. But double check with the manufacturer to confirm this.

The HIDs should produce around 3,000 lumens, whereas the $30 HB3 upgrade produces around 2,000 lumens (standard globe are around 1,000 lumens).
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

Thanks ruchi, i'll go find out if they are indeed different.

Why would standard hi-beam and lo-beam bulbs be different then?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Halogen bulbs are specifically designed with different light outputs for different purposes (e.g. low-beam, high-beam, fog-lights, driving lights etc.). The connectors are different so you don't accidentally put a high-beam globe in a low-beam socket, as in most cars which have reflector based headlights this would cause massive problems (glare and blinding oncoming traffic).

HID bulbs are not designed to replace normal halogen bulbs, they are designed to be used in a proper HID setup. Proper HID setups do not use the same connectors as halogen bulbs, only the "upgrade" kits do. Most "upgrade" kits use HID bulbs super glued onto connectors taken off halogen bulbs. So you tell them which connector you want and they'll get the kid in the backroom with the hot gluegun to stick them on for you :D

I assume you read the eye-opening info in the other thread on HIDs? Before you shell out so much money, you may also be interested in this too: http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hl-hid-kits.htm

Remember the old saying: caveat emptor (buyer beware) :wink:
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

wondering if anyone has tried the 'artctic blue' narva lights (h3) or any other blue tint with any success?
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

haha, just fixed my lights, i re adjusted them.... well put them in properly and they are pretty bright. :oops:

i bought the Philips hb3 in cool blue and they are not bad. im happy now :D
Jono
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

EURO wrote:wondering if anyone has tried the 'artctic blue' narva lights (h3) or any other blue tint with any success?
i tried the blue ones at first..g4 i think they r called but because of the main lights "fogged" lens it didnt look bright... so i switched them as my high beams and work great...
used super white for my drivers and they r quite good....not to mention the price diff...the g4 were near 60 bucks...
While still on the topic..
Ruchi - I have found a bit of rust on the light connectors..any ideas how to remove it properly?...
cheers :)
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

any chance of getting some pics jono? would like to see what the blue looks like....

Ther - I had the same problem with (hb4 blue globes) in the fto, the fogged lens cut out all the colour... i just thought with the extra power in the H3 it might work..... did you notice any blue at all when you had them in the drivers light rather then high beams?