DIY: Blanking Plate

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

kazbah
National Secretary
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Blanking Plate

Post by kazbah »

I'm on three weeks holiday from work so I decided to see if I could find a blanking plate for the space below the stereo. I found one on ebay but couldnt be bothered with the hassels so I went shopping in Parramatta to see if any of the auto accessory places or audio places sold something that could fit. While on this expedition I found a place in Parra that has a set of white fluro dials for an FTO reduced from $299 to $180 if anyone is interested. Anyhoo I digress - well I had no luck until I went into Strathfield Car Radio. The guy working there told me to see the guy who fits the stereos and alarms as he makes plates to fit. He cut me a piece of hard plastic to size for $10 (ok its probably a 30cent piece of plastic but when you're desperate etc). I got it home and downloaded the FTO lettering from the internet and printed it out. I used a craft knife to cut the lettering out and placed the cut out it over the plastic. I again used the craft knife to score the lettering into the plastic (bloody fiddly). Using a drill with a very small bit I drilled holes around the lettering and used the drill to cut out the lettering. I then filed around the letters to give it an even finish. Placing some wire mesh behind the plastic plate and mounting it into an old car radio face plate using superglue I then got hubby to connect a light behind the plate connected to the lighter wire. Here is the result. Not bad for a novice I think......

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/kazba ... 34redo.jpg
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/kazba ... 36redo.jpg
Teh Ban Queen!
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

its amazing what having to much time on your hands can produce hey? ;)

nice work, though i would have gone something different for the insert, but hey, im to lazy to make my own so what do i know :)

SilentBob
MrFT000
Mechanic

Post by MrFT000 »

yep looks good :wink:

the only thing i would change would be instead of wire, i would have used a thin piece of coloured plastic.
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Yeah it still need minor tweaking... The light behind has to be moved and I was thinking about the coloured plastic myself. I think I'll change to that if I can find anything suitable

Cheers
Teh Ban Queen!
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

When I had my lancer, I did the same thing, but I just used the front cover of one those A4 plastic folders. The ones that have plastic sleeves in them with the binding on the side. I used a blue one and put a light behind it. It worked very well..
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

DZYRME wrote:When I had my lancer, I did the same thing, but I just used the front cover of one those A4 plastic folders. The ones that have plastic sleeves in them with the binding on the side. I used a blue one and put a light behind it. It worked very well..
Thanks for that advise. I found a folder in my sons desk drawer so the mod will be done over the next couple of days. I'll post new phots when I do it....

Stay tuned :wink:
Teh Ban Queen!
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Teh Ban Queen!
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

Looks Heaps Better!! :D
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Thanks Brendon, I just checked out your web pictures of your car. Very nice!! :mrgreen: Did you spray the centre console? I had the plastic primer, sand paper, paint etc in the basked from Supercheap but put it all back cos I wasnt sure it would work. But I do like the look of yours not overdone just enough!
Teh Ban Queen!
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

Yeah, I did spray it myself. I used a $2 Export Spray can I bought from the Reject Shop.
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

i like that much better
nice work
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

SilentBob wrote:i like that much better
nice work
Thanks oh and by the way a hot glue gun is better than superglue!! Experience talking here :wink:
Teh Ban Queen!
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Ye, looks good now! You can even go retro and paint the blanking plate with the console surrounds in like a silver! :wink:
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Boris wrote:Ye, looks good now! You can even go retro and paint the blanking plate with the console surrounds in like a silver! :wink:
Yeah the thought has entered my mind. I looked at buying the stuff the other day bit chickened out.... I'm still debating with myself....

hmmmm maybe in the new year - we'll see

cheers
Teh Ban Queen!
alku83
Grease Monkey

Re: DIY Blanking Plate

Post by alku83 »

kazbah wrote:While on this expedition I found a place in Parra that has a set of white fluro dials for an FTO reduced from $299 to $180 if anyone is interested.
Hey, where abouts did you find these dials?
kazbah
National Secretary

Re: DIY Blanking Plate

Post by kazbah »

alku83 wrote:
kazbah wrote:While on this expedition I found a place in Parra that has a set of white fluro dials for an FTO reduced from $299 to $180 if anyone is interested.
Hey, where abouts did you find these dials?
Sorry its taken time to get back to you but I was away. I cant remember the name of the place but it is on Church Street coming from Windsor Road its before the Church Street Mall. Its over the bridge opposite the big clothing factory outlet that used to be David Jones.. I hope this helps I'm sorry I didnt take more notice of the name, but if you follow these directions its quite easy to find as it has all sorts of car bling bling in the window..

Good luck
Teh Ban Queen!
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

For anyone else looking to do the same thing, you can buy a sheet of acrylic plastic board - get the ones with the paper that you can peel off the front of them - Black or grey would look best, but use whatever colour you like (you can use the semi transparent stuff too, & maybe put a light behind it.)

Download the FTO logo & print it out. Trace the FTO lettering onto the peel off paper covering the plastic board - then take a stanley knife and cut around the lettering & peel off the backing paper to provide a stencil. Then simply get a can of whatever colour sray paint you want to use and spray the stencil. Leave to dry, and then cut the plastic to fit the blanking plate and buff / file the edges smooth.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I cant see maybe ive gone blind ....... nope the pics just dont work!
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
RyanStyler
Grease Monkey

Re: DIY: Blanking Plate

Post by RyanStyler »

hi guys if u interested I would have a blanking plate I woulbe be willing to sell for $40
dr390
Mechanic

Re: DIY: Blanking Plate

Post by dr390 »

ask topgun his got some or ebay
Tell me when i stop

Uploaded with ImageShack.us