DIY: Scratched / Delaminating Headlighs Fix

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

aza013
NSW Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: DIY: Scratched / Delaminating Headlighs Fix

Post by aza013 »

Kustom_FTO wrote:It'll come back quicker though.
No they will be fine as they dint need sanding.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

aza013 wrote:
Kustom_FTO wrote:It'll come back quicker though.
No they will be fine as they dint need sanding.
Well i guess you'd know your the headlight master haha.

But when i did it to my first FTO with polish it just came back within a few weeks. So i guess time will tell !
Taz wrote:When funds allow
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

If they are not to bad to start with and polished right they will last for a good 6-8 months befor you need to give them another light polish. But even then it's only to just refresh them just like you would with the paint on your car.
FTO-BOY
Mechanic

Post by FTO-BOY »

Hey Aza, i normally use cut and polish and get the buffer on it.. takes me about 5 mins each light.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Alright, so I'm gonna do it this weekend, though there don't seem to be specific instructions in the original post.

Any help with instructions?

I've looked through the thread, mines are badly f*cked up and peeled all over the headlight.

So I'll start with 800 > 1000 > 1200 > 1600 > 2000 because it's so bad?
Also, how long as I scrubbing it, not time-wise but what indicates that I've scrubbed it enough?
At what step do I apply the polish, with what and for how long?
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

Use 1 level of roughness(in this case, the 800 first) and keep rubbing until the whole headlight looks evenly sanded, with even roughness, then move up the next level of sand paper and do the same then repeat again until you are finished with 2000grit. Thats how I did mine, came out satisfactory 8) ...

Keep a light flow of water flowing the whole time you are sanding too.

When you are satisfied with the 2000grit sanding, dry up the headlight and get the cut and polish. It would be great to have a buffer!! Much quicker! then keep buffing until the polish stuff clears up as you buff - by then, the headlight will be shiny 8) ... Then the finishing touch, gently hand buff with a good microfibre towel! ;)

Now take about 5 paces back, look at it, and skeet skeet skeet!! :lol:

Hope that helped even by a bit.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Perfect, thanks! :D
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

Finished my headlights today, or more accurately my old man finished them while I was working on the eManage problem... ;)

Dad sanded 1200 then 2000, then I bought the Meguiars PlastX and a Kenco drill/buffing unit ($9) from Autobahn but didn't end up needing it, Dad just polished them by hand for a few minutes each with a cloth and the PlastX and they came up pretty good :D

So I'd recommend the PlastX, you get a bit more for the money than the ScratchX, and it didn't need much elbow grease to get em looking good.