DIY: Gear Knob

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

alku83
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DIY: Gear Knob

Post by alku83 »

Not much to this one, but I like it. Grab a pool ball, drill a hole in it, then stick a bit of teflon tape around the gear shaft to hold it in.

I've got about 10 spare pool balls if anyone wants one :)
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

hah nice ;)

i'd probably recommend using a tap (not sure which size) so it can screw on just to make it a little bit more secure

good job :)
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

Cool!
If you want to get it really good, tap a thread into that drilled hole! But for that you need the special tool!

[EDIT]: Steve beat me, I think the size is 8mm... I think...

:wink:
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Boris wrote:Cool!
If you want to get it really good, tap a thread into that drilled hole! But for that you need the special tool!

[EDIT]: Steve beat me, I think the size is 8mm... I think...

:wink:

i'll be pulling mine apart next week (for different reasons) ... ummm... someone remind me and i will measure it
alku83
Grease Monkey

Post by alku83 »

Steve/Boris - I was planning to put a tap in, but I got impatient and couldn't be bothered driving out to Bunnings :) I may still put one in, but its a very snug fit with the teflon tape so I might not bother.

And Tanya, not a bad idea ;)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

very very very nice :D , eheheheheh u got a spare black 8 by anychance heehehehehe :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
alku83
Grease Monkey

Post by alku83 »

FTO338 wrote:very very very nice :D , eheheheheh u got a spare black 8 by anychance heehehehehe :wink:
Sorry, I drilled the 8 ball and decided I like the look of it better than the 12 :)
Boris
Oldtimer

Post by Boris »

To keep this DIY clean, I have split the off topic discussion into another thread.
:arrow: http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=4156

I wonder if you could do it with a Golf Ball... Because it would be slightly smaller then the pool ball... it would be similar to this one:

:arrow: http://www.carmate.co.jp/razo/knob/14.html

Hmm.. :wink:
ph3var
Grease Monkey

Post by ph3var »

Lol just found this thread. I did the 8-ball gear stick mod to me old gemini about 5 years ago and it is still on there nice and strong. But i used a tap and die set to thread the hole in the pool ball.
Didnt think I would find something like this on an FTO site though.
Custom purple 1995 GPX manual