DIY: Tail Light Mod

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

khunjeng
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by khunjeng »

was think about doing this one and thought it would be better/easier to use that book cover stuff (pastic sticky stuff can't remeber the name) and cut with a compas with an add on razor/knife tip...this will make it super smooth and ensure when you sprey the circle stays a perfect circle?? good idea or not? anyway I can tell you on the weekend when i try it.
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Anything that works go for it. I found the harder plastic easier to move around on the bit of silastic to position right, also it didnt get creases in it which may happen with the contact, therefore not making a proper circle... Just my thoughts :wink:
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Just throwing in my 2cents, but if you're going to be leaving circles or whatever so you can see the lights I think you'd be better off using "vinyl dye" to actually stain the surrounding plastic black. That way you won't get colour leakage in the surrounding area.

Night shades are designed to let the lights shine through, and as such are designed to be used over the entire area to cover everything.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Nevermind that, probably a bad idea :P

I might actually attempt this, liking it more and more because you can just metho the stuff off if it looks bad.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

aaaand metho it off if the cops defect you!! :lol:
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I finally got round to taking some photos of my tail lights.
Any opinions? I quite like it on the dark colour. but i like it on the white fto's as well. been 9 months since i did it and it still looks good.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

yeah man looks good i reckon...howz it look up close? thats the only reason i didn't do it cos I thought i would look at it upclose and not be happy...def looks good though from that distance.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Yeh looks good upclose. Highly reccomend doing it. Looks sick at night. Like supra but different.
dimi
Mechanic

Post by dimi »

Got a question is this modification street legal can it be defected

Also i was thinking of instead of doing it in black, getting it colour coded, to match the car, is this illegal?

Any thoughts cheers
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Its not strictly legal cos its covering up the reflectors or part of them. The spray paint does say "off road use only". I suppose you could get around it by mounting reflectors somewhere else on the rear of the car, say the number plate frame...
MissxFTO
Veteran Mechanic

Post by MissxFTO »

Tailights look great.! anyone live in qld who's done it before and would like to do it for me hahaha :lol:
[img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/923/msf70lz5.jpg[/img]
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

MissxFTO wrote:Tailights look great.! anyone live in qld who's done it before and would like to do it for me hahaha :lol:
try sam (samson), i'm pretty sure that's his car in that photo actually (but now he's gone crazy with the tint and attacked his lights since, and it's all tinted now lol)

although, seriously, this is a very simple thing to do, bassically.

just cut the shapes out of cardboard or plastic or anything really (as long as it will stop the spray from getting to the areas behind it) and stick them on (cover up the places that u dont want to tint)
then spray till your happy with the amount of tint, then remove the bits, and u r done.

2 steps... do it urself, dont be lazy :P that's my job lol
MissxFTO
Veteran Mechanic

Post by MissxFTO »

lol! yeh i suppose ill get round to it one day.
[img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/923/msf70lz5.jpg[/img]
MR2YEN
Grease Monkey

Post by MR2YEN »

Hey guys, for this niteshade stuff, do you take out the lights and spray it or left it on the car and just covered the body with newspaper? And would this work on the headlights and fron indicators?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Pull your lights out, should be 4 x 10mm nuts from memory in the boot of the car under those sexy little flaps.

Spray from side to side the more coats the darker it will go. Leave about 10mins between each coat. DONT BE TEMPTED to spray it heavily as it will run and look sh*t when you put your lights on. Nice thin even coats..... very easy to do though, just dont rush it

CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

I'm sure you can spray it on the front headlights, if you like driving by candle light. The FTO aint famous for bright headlights as it is! And if the cops catch you, a little yellow sticker will suddenly appear on your car ;)
Teh Ban Queen!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah wouldnt do it on front headlights (but would work) and defintly can do it on front indicators, i had done my side ones but hadnt got round to front ones yet as i hadnt decided what im doing with them yet (might be replacing them)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
poahfto
Grease Monkey

Post by poahfto »

nice work :)

Any one wanna do mine for me :lol:
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

nice bump :P
i can but no guarantees :lol:
poahfto
Grease Monkey

Post by poahfto »

LOL sounds like you have a similar idea of how to do it that i do.

i think i need an expert:P