DIY: Replacing GR Tappets

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

Apparently so mate. All the VR4 guru's are using it. You can get it cheaper on Ebay thou im told.
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

Great, thanks Ben.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

hey guys just throwing this out there some one told me to put desiel in my oil and run for 10 mins then drain to brake down the oil gloging the tappets any one else herd of this or tryed it I personly didn't want to try it ild rather spend the money and replace them
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

yip just helps cleen out gallerys etc all the sludge thats built up. but wont cleen up as well as actually removing tappets like above.
Rj-Fto
Apprentice

Post by Rj-Fto »

Hey all,

Found this

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/article ... -tool.html

Are they doing the rear banks in the vid?
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

Rj-Fto wrote:Are they doing the rear banks in the vid?
That is an EVO running a 4g63 motor.

It is an inline 4 with no rear bank.
Rj-Fto
Apprentice

Post by Rj-Fto »

Would be great if someone does a rear bank vid, as the link for rear bank tappet change is no longer valid....

Btw, one more noob question...

Ben had written in his DIY "Meaning that you cannot attempt to remove a tappets that is under load - ie depressed. "

Can the tappet under load be removed by the specialized lifter removal tool? Also Ben, what do you mean by rotating the motor 180 degrees.
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

Rj-Fto wrote:Would be great if someone does a rear bank vid, as the link for rear bank tappet change is no longer valid....

The rear bank is the same as the front bank, it is just a pain because of the space and orientation.
Rj-Fto wrote:Ben had written in his DIY "Meaning that you cannot attempt to remove a tappets that is under load - ie depressed. "

Can the tappet under load be removed by the specialized lifter removal tool?
No. When the cam lobe is putting load on the tappet, you can not remove the tappet.
Rj-Fto wrote:Also Ben, what do you mean by rotating the motor 180 degrees.
To stop the cam lobe putting pressure on the tappet, you need the engine to rotate. You can do this by rotating the camshaft with a ratchet or by using the starter motor.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I did my rear band ages ago. There is nothing to it, Find a quide of inlet manifold removal and it's like doing the front bank.

One thing is, if your using a big pry bar or screw driver, you can get right in there, so it takes ages of frustration to get one lifter out.

A lifter removal tool would be the best idea.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Dras wrote:
Rj-Fto wrote:Are they doing the rear banks in the vid?
That is an EVO running a 4g63 motor.

It is an inline 4 with no rear bank.
Doesn't matter the internals are very similar and that tool should work with an FTO.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

vipfto wrote:yip just helps cleen out gallerys etc all the sludge thats built up. but wont cleen up as well as actually removing tappets like above.
Dont clean them, its a waste of time. I did mine with diesel and it last prob 5000-10000 km and they were noisy again. Just get new ones.
Froto.gr
Grease Monkey

Re: DIY: Replacing GR Tappets

Post by Froto.gr »

Ben mate that is brill thanks for advice thats what ill do an if all else fails me it time to repair them so what oil is best to use for car then,
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Same oil as you've always used, a 10 or 5w-40 semi synth.

Changing oil types to mask the noise will only make the problem worse in the long run.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Just my 2 cents. But the noisey tappets isnt doing any damage (in the short term). So for all the trouble it is too pull them out, I would just wait till you can afford new ones and install them.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Very true ^^

Save your pennies, buy a new set.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

oh, I am a cheap bastard, so I have thought about it. But sadly, I am also a lazy bastard and my shear laziness by far out weighs my cheapness.

So I have to wait till I can afford it.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Looks like I'm going to get some of these:

http://www.meek.com.au/index.php?act=vi ... ductId=169

Where is the rear bank even located? haha I have very little knowledge of engine parts as you can see...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Haha, its under the intake manifold. Its gotta come off to get at them.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

-Nighthawk- wrote:Looks like I'm going to get some of these:

Where is the rear bank even located? haha I have very little knowledge of engine parts as you can see...
Are they the same one kempy's use to sell? Are there better ones? As the ones I replaced are noisy again already. I heard on the American forums we should use the generation three ones?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

payaya wrote:
-Nighthawk- wrote:Looks like I'm going to get some of these:

Are they the same one kempy's use to sell? Are there better ones? As the ones I replaced are noisy again already. I heard on the American forums we should use the generation three ones?
Nah, not the same as Kempys. Dunno how these ones will hold up, I've only just put them in.