DIY: Jonos Guide on changing automatic transmission fluid

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

BorepYano
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by BorepYano »

thanks dude

i figured if i was to attempt this myself, i'de better work with pretty pictures (so far everything i've attempted that has pic i've managed to do, but everythign without pics i've screwed up lol)

and another thing, just to double check, there's no difference between the GR and GPX and the different yrs when it comes to changing the fluid right?
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

BorepYano wrote:thanks dude

i figured if i was to attempt this myself, i'de better work with pretty pictures (so far everything i've attempted that has pic i've managed to do, but everythign without pics i've screwed up lol)

and another thing, just to double check, there's no difference between the GR and GPX and the different yrs when it comes to changing the fluid right?
I doubt it. IN fact I highly doubt it.

You are only gonna get about 1/3 of the oil out in each change....once you have sussed the method its quite easy to do again - like 5-10min.

Drive it for a bit and drain and chnage about 3 timess to try and get rid of most of the old stuff...Its not a perfect science when you do it this way.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

You can get ALL the oil out in one go if you disconnect the cooler line that goes into the radiator - aim it into a bucket then run the car for 30 seconds. It'll pump the box dry.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Bennoz wrote:You can get ALL the oil out in one go if you disconnect the cooler line that goes into the radiator - aim it into a bucket then run the car for 30 seconds. It'll pump the box dry.
thats a negative.

Have of it is still caught up in the torque converter. This is the way I do it.

You will get about 1/2 of what you should form memory. I think I got about 4L after runnin the engine for about 55secs...sh*t when everywhere. The auto box takes 7.8L

Most auto trans have this issue, its not uncommon. But using this method you can do it again realy quick after u have taken it for a drive.

I'm still unsure what it takes to circulate the oil...I drove it to work then drained it agian.

The manual suggests to do it straight away....it also tells yout ot follow the above method and suggests you will only get 3.5l from this drain method.

So there you go. Section 23-46 to 47 of the Workshop Manual (1)

Cheers.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Your also supposed to get 2.2 litres outta the drain plug as well as the 4 from the cooler line.

How bout I just post it so all the kids can read it hey.....

khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

dunno...cant remember now. But I'm sure it didn't all come out using that method which is actually what i did. Form memory only 4L came out and none was left in the drian plugs.

Lets see when I do it again as I was planning to do it again with some new ATF fluid soon to try it out.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've done it twice on 2 different FTOs some time ago & both times it was different :lol: All I remember was coming out from under them covered in sh*t!
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Bennoz wrote:I've done it twice on 2 different FTOs some time ago & both times it was different :lol: All I remember was coming out from under them covered in sh*t!
I was pretty sure what I did was take of the fluid line...sprey sh*t everywhere for 60ses (newpaper works wonders) then I went to the drain plugs but not much came out...

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember at the time thinking..hmm 4l out but it holds about 8..So I just ran it in a bit and did it again. The seocnd time only took about 15min.
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Bennoz wrote:I've done it twice on 2 different FTOs some time ago & both times it was different :lol: All I remember was coming out from under them covered in sh*t!
Yup and one of them was mine.... :wink:
Teh Ban Queen!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

kazbah wrote:
Yup and one of them was mine.... :wink:
:x How can I forget.... f*cken second degree burns on my arm when that first wave spat out at me unexpectedly! :lol:

And something tells me you are due for another change very soon......... :? That was almost 2 years ago now!

And the other one I did was at my mechanics and after I did the job explaining at length to my mechanic how it was done (who wanted to see one done as he'd not done one before) my mechanic then pulls out this wizz bang pump & says with a smile on his face "Yup, same as every other auto trans, you can just hook this pump up to the inlet & oulet pipes & she pressures flushes the old fluid out & puts new fluid in! All you gotta do is run it for a coupla minutes & run through the gears a coupla times to flush the old fluid outta the converter & you're done!"........... :x

Coulda told me that earlier! :lol:
Khunjeng wrote:I was pretty sure what I did was take of the fluid line...sprey sh*t everywhere for 60ses (newpaper works wonders) then I went to the drain plugs but not much came out...

Maybe I'm wrong but I remember at the time thinking..hmm 4l out but it holds about 8..So I just ran it in a bit and did it again. The seocnd time only took about 15min.
I spose it could differ as well, depending on if a change had been done previously & whether it had been done properly I spose....

I reckon we both do one & just combine notes, add some good concise info this thread cause I've not yet seen a thorough guide on how to :wink:
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

lol I was thinking of doing it again just to see...but then realised I only had 1x5L bottle left. Will need to buy another from Mitsi...no chnace for some time now.. F1 is this week!

If you can get it all out it would be heaps better. I was a little pissed not all of the old stuff would come out.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

yeah guys that would be great if you can do it again and see if you can get the whole 8L something out, and document it properly with a zillion photos (otherwise u know idiots like me will screw up somehow lol)

just out of curiosity, all they do when they service your auto box is change oil and filter right?
kiz wrote:
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

When I did mine I was sure that filling one bucket with new fluid and getting another bucket to collect the old stuff would be it completed. I was gutted when it pumped out the old stuff but didn't suck up the new fluid :lol:

I was also bricking it as the box drained dry, but thats probably it for the next 24 months now anyway.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

Storm wrote:When I did mine I was sure that filling one bucket with new fluid and getting another bucket to collect the old stuff would be it completed. I was gutted when it pumped out the old stuff but didn't suck up the new fluid :lol:

I was also bricking it as the box drained dry, but thats probably it for the next 24 months now anyway.
i may be drunk right now, but did every part of that post make sense? cos i dont know what " i was also bricking it as the box drained dry, but that's probably it for th enext......." meant.

btw sry storm, didnt mean to take a dig at u or nothing, but explain your post >.<, who knows when the next time some drunk will read this post and go "... huh" lol
:D
kiz wrote:
col2560
Mechanic

Post by col2560 »

i just did my ATF change following these directions and have these points to add;
1. i fitted a length of garden hose over the ends of the disconnected pipes (that go into the trans cooler section of the radiator) into my oil drain pan. then i ran the engine for 60 secs to drain it, and guess what?? not 1 drop of oil on the floor. approx. 4lts of oil came out.

2. then i undid the drain plug on the trans case with a 24mm socket and let it drain. approx. 2 lts of oil came out.

3. clean the plug before re-fitting, mine had a build-up of sludge (that appeared to be metalic) stuck to the magnetic plug base.

thats it, all done. no more clunky gear changes or limp-mode while cold.
Robb
Grease Monkey

Re: DIY: Jonos Guide on changing automatic transmission flui

Post by Robb »

jonowong wrote: Fresh transmission fluid is bright red and a sweet smell kind of like ribena but not quiet.
OK I just changed mine the fluid was almost brown and smelt like a$$ :evil: I managed to get 4ltr out using your method so I just need to wait and see if it will make a difference.

Word of warning for any noobs or poor gormless idiots like myself who leave their brain back in bed, DO NOT under any circumstance leave the filter off your transmission then start it your engine to force the rest of the fluid out because you will end up redecorating your engine bay in a lovely shade of dirty trans fluid just like me. Hahaha stoopid a$$ me :oops:

TIP: I used an old inner tube from a bike tyre (Well half of one) I feed the trans hose into one end taped it up and then ran the other end down into a drip tray and found that I didn't get any mess apart from the fluid pissing up from where the filter should have been.

Robb...
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Re: DIY: Jonos Guide on changing automatic transmission flui

Post by FTEvolution »

Robb wrote: OK I just changed mine the fluid was almost brown and smelt like a$$ :evil:
:facepalm:
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
jwa
Apprentice

Post by jwa »

I can feel everytime when the gear change in my car therefore just try to change the oil

After i have read though the post and service manual over and over again,
I did it this morning, just show what i did should be similar to everyone else

1. take air-box out...(stock car...)
2. remove one of the hose that inbetween trans. box and radiator.( i choose the one on the left [when look from the front of the car])
3. extend the hose just removed by using garden hose(just make it long enough to come out from the bottom of your car)
4. place the extend hose into a 5-6Liters container
5.go get you gf or bf. NOW you have a person hold the hose and check when the oil stop. the other person keep changing the gear in the car.
6. MAKE SURE E/BRAKE ON
7. start the car, the one inside the car just move the gear around (P -> R -> N -> D -> N -> R -> P -> R -> N)...............that what i did
8. stop the car when oil stop comming out or run after a minuter (I got about 5.5L come out)
9. i did check those 3 bolts under the gear box but not much oil comming from there 100ml about
10. put new oil in and filter as well

i use penrite ATF DX-VI
Go for a drive and you should notice the difference.

5.5L out
4L in.....
Have another 8L plan to change 2 more times in a month.

Question...
how you guy read the oil lever stick, for the word (cold) and (hot) there is a line on the right hand side of the word like this
--> cold ||
--> hot ||
is that the line i should be looking at? or something else because the stick is in some funny shape..

if that is the line,..
before i did the oil change the oil lever is a lot higher than that( gear change VERY noticeable)
after oil change + driver around oil lever still above that mark butgear change a lot smooth

also if i unbolt those 15-20 bolts that hold the oil sump,
could i be able to release all the 7.5 L oild out?
jwa
Apprentice

Post by jwa »

Last year as my last post, i changed the trans oil 3 time in total, so got more of the old trans oil out, result gear change fine.

Just about end of last year (2months ago) the gear change problem appear again, sick...
I checked the oil after half hour drive, that was on hot position (just about 1-2mm over the line). No burn smell, color clear like the new oil.

could anyone possible know what is going on with my gearbox, because the trans oil normally can stay like 100K right.?

p.s. I always drive normal..no hard driving at all

please help
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

jwa wrote:Last year as my last post, i changed the trans oil 3 time in total, so got more of the old trans oil out, result gear change fine.

Just about end of last year (2months ago) the gear change problem appear again, sick...
I checked the oil after half hour drive, that was on hot position (just about 1-2mm over the line). No burn smell, color clear like the new oil.

could anyone possible know what is going on with my gearbox, because the trans oil normally can stay like 100K right.?

p.s. I always drive normal..no hard driving at all

please help
No I used to change at 20k max