DIY: Jonos Guide on changing automatic transmission fluid

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jwa
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by jwa »

vipfto wrote:
jwa wrote:Last year as my last post, i changed the trans oil 3 time in total, so got more of the old trans oil out, result gear change fine.

Just about end of last year (2months ago) the gear change problem appear again, sick...
I checked the oil after half hour drive, that was on hot position (just about 1-2mm over the line). No burn smell, color clear like the new oil.

could anyone possible know what is going on with my gearbox, because the trans oil normally can stay like 100K right.?

p.s. I always drive normal..no hard driving at all

please help
No I used to change at 20k max

alright....from my note since my last change on JUNE 2009 at arround 83,000kms, and now my car is on 95,000kms, I did about 10,000kms over last half year (let say until DEC 2009 problem come up again), the milage does not seem to be too bad.

Should I still do an oil change?

If so how many change should i do, since i can only drain about 4L of trans oil out at a time (without unbolt the sump), and there is 7L in the gear box. It cost me a $100 to buy 3 x 4L oil last time... :(
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Re: DIY: Jonos Guide on changing automatic transmission flui

Post by renzkuken1 »

Ok so i used this method, i only didn't know what hose to disconnect so i got about 5 or 6l out of the 3 bolts under the tray :lol:
Filled 3/4 of an 8L bucket ahaha Filled with dextron III oil and used the recommended oil filter but still having second to third gear shifts really rough..

Anyone got any suggestions? I could always empty again and refill with the oem stuff everyone is talking about but where do i get it?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Use spf3 sh*t from Mitsubishi.

How did you get 5-6 liters out of the bolts? That's a lot, won't be surprised if you overfilled the thing.
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Post by renzkuken1 »

First time i have changed since owning the car a year lol So owner previously must have. Or if they did it in a service? ahah
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

So what was the recommend filter and oil to use after this thread? I have a GR not a GPX. (seems a lot of mixed opinions)
I might take it to a mechanic to get all 8L out, would it be expensive?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Z637 or genuine filter. SPF III.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Hey guys,
just wondering if the Z637 fits the same as the Z411? Or are they completed different fittings?
crosso
Grease Monkey

Post by crosso »

Checked my trans fluid today and well, its certainly not any form of pleasant colour. Dark brown and didn't smell like described.
So gonna have a go at this on the weekend, bad idea for someone who's never changed fluids before?
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

crosso wrote:Checked my trans fluid today and well, its certainly not any form of pleasant colour. Dark brown and didn't smell like described.
So gonna have a go at this on the weekend, bad idea for someone who's never changed fluids before?
You've got to start somewhere.

Just make sure you have a rough outline in your head of what you need to do BEFORE you start.

It's not a hard job, just the part when you drain the torque converter can be scary.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Everyone with an auto and has the standard cooling get an external cooler to work with the standard cooling.

Transmission oil should not go black, black means the gearbox is overheating for some reason. Oil transmission oil should look more translucent.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

payaya wrote:Everyone with an auto and has the standard cooling get an external cooler to work with the standard cooling.

Transmission oil should not go black, black means the gearbox is overheating for some reason. Oil transmission oil should look more translucent.
What would it cost to install, and can you add it to my quote :troll:
LED ALL the things.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Sorry been busy but we'll organise something soon. I use to notice during long drives my gearbox use to behave funny. An external cooler stopped this. My oil stays red no matter what. Black is bad!
mezje
Mechanic

Post by mezje »

Any chance these images are hosted elsewhere?
bradicus
Apprentice

Post by bradicus »

Im trying to change the transmission fluid, first of all could not find the 3 bolts to drain the fluid, but i did find a huge bolt that looks like a sump plug, 24mm and dont have a 24mm socket. Also cant manage to disconnect the atf lines from the radiator they just wont come out, they are stuck in place.

The images might show this. There isnt enough room to wiggle the lines to get them out of the plastic hoses that connect them. There also isnt a place to fit a phillps head screw driver, rather just clamps, even taking them off doesnt give me room to pull the lines off....

bradicus
Apprentice

Post by bradicus »

update ended up borrowing a 24 mm circle spanner and just did it through the sump and got like 5 L out.... do i actuall need to get the stuff out of the fuel lines to the radiator?
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Try taking the pipes off while they are warm