DIY: Replacing shocks and springs

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

Alrighty, here's a guide on replacing shocks and springs - this guide can also be used if you are fitting lowered springs.

Special tools required: A pair of spring compressors (for suspension springs not valve spring compressors.)

I will use 1 front and 1 rear as examples as obviously both fronts and rears are the same.

Note: This job is MUCH more easily done on a hoist, but seing as I have no such luxury, this is aimed at the backyard hack who has a jack!

When replacing shocks - this is what you get. Not just inserts but complete struts:

Front:
First up, jack the car up & remove the wheel, you will be presented with this:

There are 2 x 17mm bolts that join the strut to the wheel hub assembly remove them.

Also remove the clip that holds the brake like into the small bracket on the side of the strut.

Now remove the 17mm nut holding the droplink to the strut side. If you find the entire ball joint of the droplink moving, then use a 17mm ring spanner to grip the flat section on the back of the ball joint - see pic:

Then remove the 3 x 14mm nuts that hold the strut into the engine bay (see pic) - note: your strut tops may look a little different to mine. Standard ones are black circular rubber units rather than the adjustable ones pictured. On standard strut tops there will be a black plastic caps that hides the central nut - now is a good time to loosen that nut - BUT DO NOT REMOVE IT COMPLETELY. It will unspring the whole assembly.

Take care undoing the last 14mm nut - the strut will want to fall out. Hold it with one arm as you undo the last nut:

Now the strut should come out (with some manouvering) and you should attach your spring compressors & begin compressing the spring:

Once the spring is compressed (ie no longer pushing hard up against either end of the spring seat) you can now undo the central nut you loosened earlier:

Once that nut is removed, the whole strut assembly can be pulled apart. The strut top will come off first, then remove the spring (with spring compressors attached) then the bump stop and plastic casing will slide off the old shock:

And you'll be left with the above ^

Reassembly is is the exact opposite to disassembly. Put the bump stop and case onto the new shock, then the spring (with spring compressors still attached), then the top cap, then the strut top. At this time you may wish to clean the join between the top cap & the strut top & regrease - as it is the joint that swivels when you turn the steering wheel.

Also note: If you are fitting lowered springs, now is the time to change them. Remove the spring compressors from the old springs (whilst they are off the assembly) and attach the compressors to your new springs - put them on the assembly with the compressors attached. Then refit all the other parts in the same order you removed them.

Replace the central nut and tighten as much as you can by hand to complete the new assembly and remove the compressors:

Insert the assembly back into the car. First up hold it in & put on the 3 top nuts, then you can put in the 2 x 17mm bolts that hold the strut to the hub, then re-attach the droplink & the brake line. Once its all bolted back on solid, tighten up the top central nut & replace the centre cap (if you have standard strut tops.)

Oh, and I touched up my caliper paint whilst I was in there..... :P

Okay - now for the rears! Please excuse the photo quality, it was getting quite dark at this point in time.

First up, open the boot & move the padding on the rear arches. Underneath you will find this:

Again - loosen up the centre nut. You'll find that the whole shock wants to rotate, so use a shifter to grab the small flat section on the very top of the shock & hold it whilst you loosen the centre nut. Once loose, undo the 2 x 14mm nuts that hold the shock to the car. Again DO NOT remove the nut altogether, that would release the whole asembly.... *Boing!*

Now remove the 17mm bolt that holds the assembly to the lower control arm:

The whole strut assembly will now drop down as far as it can go to the lower control arm. If you had a hoist - at this time you could pry the lower control arm down far enough to remove the strut, but I had a jack & that was not possible. I had to disassemble the strut in-car & reassemble in-car.....

Compress the spring using your spring compressors with the strut loose (but still in the car) like so:

Once you have compressed the spring, you can now remove the already loosened centre nut. You can then remove the top mount, the top spring cup, and eventually remove the spring & bump stop. This is a bit of a juggle in car as you can see by the pics. You can see the lower part of the shock hanging down throught the control arm. Its the only way you can get enough clearance to remove the spring & other bits from it:

You can see here all the parts from the strut removed in order from left to right. Once the shock is on its own resting on the lower control arm in-car, you can then compress it by hand enough to remove it.

You then need to do the same to the new shock to put it in. It needs to be placed through the rear arm to be resting as per the above pic as well.

Re-assembly is done in the reverse order as above. If changing springs, now is the time to remove the compressors from your old spring, apply them to the new spring and place it back on the new shock (in-car) and continue to re-assemble the strut as per the reverse of dis-assembly.

Pic of reassembled strut bolted back in:

The best way to raise the shock back into its original position is to use a hydraulic trolley jack. This also makes is possible to line up the lower mount of the shock to the lower control arm well enough to feed the 17mm bolt back thru!

Now - before you get all excited and go for a test floggin' around the block, the first drive you should take it on is to the nearest place that can wheel align the car properly!!!

In a majority of cases your wheel alignment will be out to the sh*t house... even to a dangerous point. First thing you should do is get that sorted.

Bennoz ratings:
Time: 6 hours approx (hoist use would halve that)
Barked knuckles: 5 (not good)
Profanities used: 3 (rather loud ones)
Beer drunk: 14 (was a long day....)
Ciggies smoked 16 (see above)
Lenny
Grease Monkey

Post by Lenny »

Nice one
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

Great DIY.

I just want to add something, I done mine yeserday and when I got it all back together I got some rubbing noise on the drivers side when I did sharp right hand turns.

You got to make sure that the top spring saddle is aligned with the bottom one as the strut is off centre, you will see there is a little hole on the top and bottom saddle, just align those together.

Today after work I pulled out the drivers side out again to align that top saddle as it will make contact with the strut tower when turning.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I would also add ...buy some whiteline spring wrap. look att he old springs (esp. if they were lowered) and look where they have been rubbing together. use the wrap in these spots to help stop the grinding noise under full compression.

easy job and gets results.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

bigpitty1 wrote:Great DIY.

I just want to add something, I done mine yeserday and when I got it all back together I got some rubbing noise on the drivers side when I did sharp right hand turns.

You got to make sure that the top spring saddle is aligned with the bottom one as the strut is off centre, you will see there is a little hole on the top and bottom saddle, just align those together.

Today after work I pulled out the drivers side out again to align that top saddle as it will make contact with the strut tower when turning.
Good point, well raised.

It might also be appropriate to warn all potential folks doing this that its also a good idea to mark the strut top & car to know which way the strut top goes back in to the car. It wasnt an issue for me with the Tein tops, but I recall pulling them out & putting them back in before I had the tops & it was a bit confusing.

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Where did u get your shocks from and how ??
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

KYB Excel-G Series Gas Shockers,
I bought mine from RPW,

Just noticed this below picture,
Whats this yellow thing used for?
Also, it looks in bad shape, does it needs to be changed?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

thats the bump stop and if in bad condition then needs to be replaced or damage can occur
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Correct - it is a bump stop.

It stops the shock from fully compressing and smashing the valves (when fully compressed)

Mike
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

thanks onzo for the support lol couldnt done it with out ya
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

No - thank YOU!

Anyway - I was trying to explain what it does...

All it is, is a piece of rubber/urethane. When you say in bad condition, what do you mean? It looks dirty?

As long as it isnt brittle / cracking and stops the shock from compressing all the way (and smashing thefoot valves) you are ok.

Mike
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah my bump stops werent in the best of condition, but they weren't too bad. I have a few bushes yet to swap out on the rear, so they'll be coming out again soon enough. On a hoist this time thou!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

oh dont get me wrong i wasnt being a smart a%s or maybe a little im just trying to be a post whore to
onnzo
Grease Monkey

Post by onnzo »

Ahh - the good ol post whore routine :)

I just noticed my stats - ive been registered longer then Bennoz but have less then 1/10th of his posts!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah you betta watch out im catching up on you quick lol
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Pretty much all the information is on the net,
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... pic&t=8761

Gearbox removal
http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=39835

Manual g/box conversion - Although hasn’t been finished yet very good guide
http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=61352

I been taken off all the interior parts for the conversion.
Also jacked up the car, removed battery, tray, CAI, etc...
Removed wheels, one of my wheel was stuck to the car, had to kick it literally 1/2 hour,
I was working on taking of the struts but got stuck with the droplink bolts,
Also broke 6 cheap-arse sockets, lots of swearing and bought some kincrome gear at the end. It is expensive but the difference is incredible
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mxysxy wrote:I was working on taking of the struts but got stuck with the droplink bolts,
Also broke 6 cheap-arse sockets, lots of swearing and bought some kincrome gear at the end. It is expensive but the difference is incredible
I have 3 kingcrome sets...1/2 inch 3/4 inch and the smallest set think its 1.8 drive...I use them like every day now...

you need good stuff...its amazing how often i use all the different sizes.

makes everything easy...
but got stuck with the droplink bolts
hehe dejavu...

I knowhow to do it easy...if u are still stuck call me tomorrow.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Sweet as :) thanks for this!
mosti
Mechanic

Post by mosti »

OMFG!
I CAN'T GET THE BOTTOM MOST DROP LINK BOLT OFF!
BOUT TO LOSE MY MIND!!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Your using a 10mm spanner on the other side, yeah?