Creating an avatar (and image resizing)

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Creating an avatar (and image resizing)

Post by Bennoz »

This is always a question I get & with recent forum changes, I thought I'd make a sticky out of it!

First up - you cannot link to an external picture as your avatar. That feature has been disabled in a bid to increase the forum speed. Bowsers time-out while waiting for a thread to load when there are huge pictures being used, hosted on servers in Uzbekistan.

So your avatar must be hosted on this site. Here are the steps to do so:

Firstly - Resize your picture! The size 140 x 100 is the maximum.

For those of you using XP

Download this & install it (follow the prompts) Its a Micro$oft product & it is legit & free. It is also a very small download.

Clicky -> Image Resizer

Then once it has installed, all you need to do to resize your pic is to right click on it & select 'resize image' from the right click menu. Select 'custom size' and put in 140 x 100 & you will have a resized image put in the same folder as the original.

For those of you using Vista

Download & install this, its also a free program, very small & easy to use. Just follow the install prompts.

Clicky -> Image resizer

Once installed, all you have to do is right click on the picture you wish to resize & select 'vso image resizer'. Again, put in your desired size (140x 100 for an avatar) and click ok - you'll then have a resized image in the same folder as the original.

Second - Uploading the pic to your account on FTO Aus

Click the 'Account' button to the top left of screen. Scroll down to the avatar section of that page & click "Upload Through Forum Profile." Again, scroll down to the Avatar section of that page & where it says "Upload Avatar from your machine:" -> Hit the browse button & locate your resized picture on your machine. Then hit 'Submit' & your done!

NB: Yes I know you cant see anything but black on the Account page at the moment - we'll hopefully have that fixed shortly. For now just hold the left mouse button down & drag it across the whole screen to highlight the text.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Found a new image resizer toy for those of you using Vista & Windows 7.

Much easier to use, a simple right click on the image gives you the option to resize, much like the old XP resizer :)

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/Releas ... seId=26281