'96 GPX - New to FTOs

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

pete_gpx
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

'96 GPX - New to FTOs

Post by pete_gpx »

I've been a fan of FTOs for ages and I finally had the chance to pick one up for cheap. It's a 96 GPX, 2.0ltr MIVEC, 4 speed tiptronic. It's a little worn, although not so much visually, having traveled 217 000ks. Honestly, though, for the price I paid for it, I can't complain.

The interior is almost perfect, which is amazing for a car of its age and mileage. The paint is also very good, definitely above average for the age, although there are one or two bubbles and a few patches of clear coat coming off.

Pictures:

The car was cheap, so obviously it comes with problems, which hopefully won't cost me a million dollars to fix up. At the moment it has an oil leak (I'm no mechanic, but I do know a little bit) and is puffing a little white smoke on start up. I don't believe the oil leak is going to be a major worry, but the smoke doesn't sound good. From reading on the forums here, as well as listening to some of my more knowledgeable friends, I've learned that it can mean the rings are worn, or that I have a blown head gasket. Any noob friendly advice regarding this problem would be accepted gratefully. At the moment, it drives well, but apparently wouldn't pass a roadworthy, although it is currently registered (which will be canceled next week).

Anyways, I've bought the car from down near Southport at the Gold Coast and am having it put on a trailer to be brought up to where I live, Toowoomba, next weekend.

I'm extremely excited about what I've bought, and I do have a little money to spend on repairs. Perhaps if the engine problems are too costly to fix, I'd be open to buying a cheap, good condition replacement to swap out to.

I'm on my P's, only being 18, so obviously no performance modifications can be made, but I'm looking forward to making the car at least turn a few heads.

Once I have it running, I'm keen to start participating in cruises etc. In the mean time, I'd like to start getting a little active on these forums and get to know people, while taking advantage of any advice that can be offered.
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

Hey there, welcome to the club man. Great choice of car and it looks really clean & tidy for the amount of kms travelled too ;)
Good to have more young peeps on here (im the baby of this forum being 16) :lol:
Any Q's just feel free to ask and enjoy your stay here :D
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

hey mate welcome to the club, white smoke is NOT usually indication of rings being bugger (thats a bluish/blackish smoke). White smoke usually can be valve steam seals or coolant somehow finding its way into the cylinder. This could be blown head gasket etc etc. But my bet wil definitly be water/coolant

Id also be finding out if the 200,000k service was done as it is probably the most important service and most expensive. Read some of the threads on this forum for more information. I also highly recommend replacing the tranny oil has most problems with the tip are caused by lack of servicing to them.

Good luck and enjoy
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

That is a monster truck. WTTC champ. ;)
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Just keep any eye on your oil & water levels. If it only blows a bit of smoke on startup & the levels remain constant, then you'll probably get a few kms out of it yet.

When the time comes, you'll be able to find a s/hand motor on here for around $6-700 pretty easy ;)
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

I8A4RE wrote:hey mate welcome to the club, white smoke is NOT usually indication of rings being bugger (thats a bluish/blackish smoke). White smoke usually can be valve steam seals or coolant somehow finding its way into the cylinder. This could be blown head gasket etc etc. But my bet wil definitly be water/coolant

Id also be finding out if the 200,000k service was done as it is probably the most important service and most expensive. Read some of the threads on this forum for more information. I also highly recommend replacing the tranny oil has most problems with the tip are caused by lack of servicing to them.

Good luck and enjoy
I've been told that the car had a major service 14 months ago, with over 15 hundred being spent. The guy that I bought it from was selling it for his mother, so he didn't know too much about it, although he knew for certain that the timing belt was replaced.

Also, if a water/coolant leak is a suspect for the smoke, how would I go about checking this?
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Going down to get the car tomorrow.. So excited. I have it booked in at my friends work for repairs, although it could take over a week to get parts, roadworthy and registration... Going to be the longest week of my life.
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

LOL, im sure the "mivec and torque steer" will bring you satisfaction :P
nvdfto
Grease Monkey

Post by nvdfto »

WTTC!
Let the tunes decide
.:[Bosch Australia Automotive Department]:.
FTO-LEO
Grease Monkey

Post by FTO-LEO »

Mate WTTC. Best of luck with the roadworthy!
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

I8A4RE wrote:hey mate welcome to the club, white smoke is NOT usually indication of rings being bugger (thats a bluish/blackish smoke). White smoke usually can be valve steam seals or coolant somehow finding its way into the cylinder. This could be blown head gasket etc etc. But my bet wil definitly be water/coolant

Good luck and enjoy
+1 but WTTC club mate let us know how you get on
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

If you dont mind me asking, How much did you pick it up for ?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

2 and a half grand.

I went and picked it up yesterday, although I'm leaving it in Gatton for the next few weeks for my friend to work on. He's a qualified auto-electrician and after quickly going over the car, he's extremely impressed and thinks that I've got a very good deal.

Also, I now know that it had it's alternator replaced in the service it had last year.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

For $2500, you definitely got a good deal. Especially when you consider that a half cut normally costs around 4K.

WTTC
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    pete_gpx
    Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Right, so my friend has had a look and discovered that the engine is full of burnt oil after changing it... It's still blowing smoke and he believes the engine must have gotten very hot at some stage. The engine looks like it's pretty much had it..

Any suggestions? Any chance of him being wrong? Anyone know where I can get a secondhand, good condition engine?
    aza013
    NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

yep talk to dstocks as he has a GR motor siting there ready to go :D
    free bump for you dstocks :lol:

may cost some $$$ for the shipping :roll:
    pete_gpx
    Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

What kind of work needs to be done to put a GR motor into a GPX?
    pete_gpx
    Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Hmm, NG Jap Parts down in NSW has a 1996 6A12 Mivec for $1750. Not sure if I could pick it up from Sydney, though, plus it's a bit more then I want to spend...

Any Jap Spares on the Sunshine Coast has one for $2350. The location is a lot more convenient, but then, the price is also a lot higher.
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Those prices are obscene...
    pete_gpx
    Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

I was thinking the same thing. And yes, those are engines only, not half cuts.