Just got my FTO what do you guys think?

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

PHIL069
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Just got my FTO what do you guys think?

Post by PHIL069 »

G'Day jkos, WTTC :D

With a bit of work your FTO will look awesome, well done with the purchase.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
jkos
Apprentice

Post by jkos »

Cheers for the feedback guys and Im excited to be part of the club! Even in the condition it is now the car definitely has head turn factor its very stylish. Really keen on fixing it up as soon as I have some extra cash. Im a little worried about the rust on the roof though, will it continue to get worst and eventually eat my roof?
IMG_1051.JPG
The rear of my car
IMG_1050.JPG
Then engine
IMG_1058.JPG
Just wondering with other FTO owners- did your car have that musty old car smell when u got it? This is probably the thing thats bugging me the most, and Im not sure how to go about fixing it. Im thanks i need to steam clean the entire car and change the air filter. Im going to be trying to fix this up asap so that the cars ready for the summer and any possible female (or male) passengers ;)
95Xena
Grease Monkey

Post by 95Xena »

Your roof rust is VERY common. And yes it will get worse. You'll need to get it cut out and have a plate/s welded in. I've got the same issue with my GR. The smash repair guy here quoted me $500.
And yeah, my GPX smells kinda odd. I just hung a smelly thing off the mirror :lol: You could maybe have a leak through that rust. Take your headliner out and have a look. Spray the hose on it and see if it drips through.

I love the colour of your car.
jkos
Apprentice

Post by jkos »

Wow was that 500 for the entire roof? Cos the blisters are on both sides of the roof. Damn. Haha cheers man yeah the colour is awesome and you cant quite see in the photo but it has this glitter that looks really awesome when its in the sun.

Im going to steam clean the interior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNMAmhGrxR8
This was a useful find.

How would i go about cleaning the cone filter?
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

That's a pretty creatively unique body kit, where does one get these rear taillight covers???
jkos wrote: Haha cheers man
Just fyi, 95exena is a chick :lol:

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23590 fixing the headlights is really easily just follow that DIY <<<
jkos wrote:How would i go about cleaning the cone filter?

As in the air filter? Just change it to a new one if it's just a cheap branded one.

And yeah steam clean and rip all your seats out and clean under them then let the car air out for the day.
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
95Xena
Grease Monkey

Post by 95Xena »

destinationtoby wrote: Just fyi, 95exena is a chick :lol:
:lol:
Although I swear more and have more tattoos than most guys :twisted:

Yeap, $500 for entire thing. I have blisters at the back of the roof as well.

I like those rear taillight covers as well. Seen them before on a yellow car that was for sale on Ebay awhile back.
jkos
Apprentice

Post by jkos »

Lol oh yea i shouldve known from the display pic and name "xena". Lol I say man, mate and bro a lot. Anyway thanks darl. Yea the body kit is definitely unique, ill ask the previous owner but he didnt own the car for that long either so im not sure if he'll know, but i just sent him a sms now anyway.

The filter is this cone thing
IMG_1059.JPG
After looking at countless youtube clips and tutorials on air filters im guess this one doesnt get replaced and just needs to be cleaned?

Is there anyone in sydney who can recommend a reliable autosmashrepairer for fixing the roof? I think i should get that done asap before if gets worst.
jkos
Apprentice

Post by jkos »

Haha noice now im curious about your tattoos. Ive got 3 myself, on the chest, arm and ribcage <-this one HURT.

If the guy cuts out the rust and has plates welded in wouldnt he need to repaint the cut out part? Damn those blisters stressing me out man. Were u able to bargain it down to 500 because your a heavily tattooed girl or was that the initial quote?
jkos
Apprentice

Post by jkos »

destinationtoby wrote:And yeah steam clean and rip all your seats out and clean under them then let the car air out for the day.
Wouldnt have thought to do this cheers.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

That's a pretty creatively unique body kit, where does one get these rear taillight covers???
They Would be Kaze taillight covers. Bought a set direct from Kaze in Japan a couple of years back.

As for the roof rust, heres a guide on removal of the glue:

http://www.completefto.com.au/CompleteFTO.asp?hid=199

Given you are from Sydney,you should plan to come to the bonfire in April. Already looking like there will be a good turnout. Here is the thread for that...

http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28493
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    95Xena
    Grease Monkey

Post by 95Xena »

jkos wrote:Were u able to bargain it down to 500 because your a heavily tattooed girl or was that the initial quote?
    HAHAHAHA Maybe I scared him into that price!
    His initial quote was $400, then I took the car back without the headliner and he said $500 because he was going to have to cut out roof and weld plates in. He's just a older guy who runs his own shop in a little town of 3000 people, so he can't charge higher like they do in larger places, or he won't get the work.

And I call everyone dude, be they male or female :D
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Thats a good price. I got charged $800 for a bog job. Came back 3 months later and then had to pay another $700 to get the holes welded and fixed properly. Maybe you should make the trip to where Xena lives and get it fixed there.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      95Xena
      Grease Monkey

Post by 95Xena »

LOL It's about 10 hours to here, then the car needs to be left for a week to get the work done. Although, they say the accommodation here is quite nice :)
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Still, I paid $1500 to get it fixed in the end. And then I sold that FTO and got one where the glue issues wasnt an issue any more.
        95Xena
        Grease Monkey

Post by 95Xena »

Ouch!
        I guess in some ways living in a small town is a good thing. Until you want to do something intersting like turbo your car and you find that only one place around here does tuning and he's a dick who blew up a race car on his dyno :roll:
        jkos
        Apprentice

Post by jkos »

Plot twist: I am actually a girl
        2nd Plot twist: Actually no I am a guy

to dstock: That thing in april looks quite promising although I'd want to confirm it closer to the date (might have uni assignments due the following week.) Not quite sure what you mean by bog job I'm assuming the roof rust problem? Eep 800 is steep. 700 on top is f***ed. Anyone know any reliable people in sydney?

Xena any chance you could post some before after pics of the roof job (bog job?)?
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Not quite sure what you mean by bog job
        What they did was cut the roof back and filled the rust spots with body filler. I had assumed that they would weld the holes backup, but no. Spots started coming back 3 months later.Getting it cut out is the only way to be sure its gone.
        Eep 800 is steep. 700 on top is f***ed
        Yeah, thats Canberra for you. Anything to do with cars is more expensive. Thing that peeved me was that I didnt tell them to use bog and yet I had to pay even more to get it fixed.
          jkos
          Apprentice

Post by jkos »

Is it hard to get it repainted after a bog job? Man I hope sydney isnt as expensive.
          silverGPX
          9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Its not like you need to do it RIGHT now. Why don't u save up and get it done in a month or two?
          dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Is it hard to get it repainted after a bog job? Man I hope sydney isnt as expensive.
          Sydney should be much cheaper. Just make sure you ask for rust to be cut out and plates welded in and that way itll never come back.