New to FTO's and looking for one

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTOrgasm
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New to FTO's and looking for one

Post by FTOrgasm »

Hi my name is Doug,

I'm from Melbourne can you guys recommend me on what I should be looking for when I go to buy an FTO and what's best? I'm preferably looking for a manual that's done under 150,000 km's and for $7,000 and under if anyone has any for sale comment below.

Cheers.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Re: New to FTO's and looking for one

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Welcome. Unfortunately there aren't any good FTO's for sale in Victoria that I've seen, so your best bet would be to look interstate.

One from a member would be a better chance to find a clean example, such as this one: http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29218 or http://ftoaustralia.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29377
EchoFTO

Post by EchoFTO »

FTOrgasm wrote:Hi my name is Doug,

I'm from Melbourne can you guys recommend me on what I should be looking for when I go to buy an FTO and what's best? I'm preferably looking for a manual that's done under 150,000 km's and for $7,000 and under if anyone has any for sale comment below.

Cheers.
Buying FTO's for cheap unless you know your stuff is a problem for most. A lot of them have been thrashed and sold off to put the cost on the unwary buyer.

If you run in to buying a car you know nothing about and think you have found a bargain, you will come off very disappointed when things start (and they will) go wrong.

Unless you are mechanically minded, have friends or family who are, or know a good mech, do not buy the first FTO you see. You need to put a lot of research into it.

The first FTO I bought, I paid $5,000 for and had to get the Exhaust replaced (leak) and tappet covers replaced (leak).. repairs for that was around $700. Also be wary of the advertised year. BUILD DATE and IMPORT DATE are different!

Also, keep in mind you have the cost of insurance, for which at a young age will not be cheap. I paid around $800 per year to keep mine insured with theft/fire insurance. The cost for comprehensive will be considerably more.

MUST HAVES:

NO RUST!!!! (Common problem with old cars)
Check oil cap if you see white milky residue lol STAY AWAY!
Make sure both mirrors fold.
Test the gears/clutch see if they feel sticky.
If it's a GPX listen for the "tappety noise" and make sure MIVEC kicks in @ 5500rpm
Test the engine in the cold ideally (engine can be fussy in the weather)
If you have a volt meter, check the battery (often too weak)... and the alternator (common replacer)
Look at ware on the seats compared with kms on the clock.
Check the panels and make sure they line up properly
If the FTO has a body kit on, make sure the paint matches and it's lined up properly.

http://www.completefto.com.au/modules/p ... p?mode=vin
Run the VIN of the FTO on that site (credits to dstocks)

Nice to haves:

Aftermarket wheels 17" or 18" look better than factory 16" to your taste
Modern Head Unit/Sound system with AUX/USB or Sat Nav
LED's / HID's (FTO gets really dark in the cabin @ night)
Window Tint
Aftermarket brakes (upgraded)

I'm sure other members will add on to this.
Last edited by EchoFTO on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

EchoFTO wrote:Check oil cap if you see white milky residue lol STAY AWAY!
Not necessarily true, if it's in a car yard or it's been kept outside in winter and only been taken on short trips (test drives) a small amount of milky residue on the oil cap could just be condensation. I've seen it happen a couple times.

Also make sure you drive the car around for about 10-15 mins from a cold start before trying to go past 5500rpm to check if MIVEC is working.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
FTOrgasm

Post by FTOrgasm »

Thank you for the replies! Nighthawk I really have taken a liking to Nath's scissor door FTO and I think that is the one I want! I agree though, no good ones in Vic atm how much would it cost to ship down Nath's FTO to Melbourne?

EchoFTO cheers for the reply will keep all of that in mind. I looked at comprehensive insurance for what I would get if I bought an FTO with all the features included and it was around $1,685 which is reasonable!

Thanks vectose
FTOcrazy273
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOcrazy273 »

Welcome to the club Doug, we need more active Vic members, if you need any help find an FTO I'm willing to help out!
SchumieFan wrote:FAPTASTIC!
EchoFTO

Post by EchoFTO »

Vectose wrote:
EchoFTO wrote:Check oil cap if you see white milky residue lol STAY AWAY!
Not necessarily true, if it's in a car yard or it's been kept outside in winter and only been taken on short trips (test drives) a small amount of milky residue on the oil cap could just be condensation. I've seen it happen a couple times.

Also make sure you drive the car around for about 10-15 mins from a cold start before trying to go past 5500rpm to check if MIVEC is working.

Assuming you're not with a mechanic or a professional yourself I'd rather take the "better safe than sorry approach" and stay away from a potential failed head gasket.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

EchoFTO wrote:

Cheers.
Buying FTO's for cheap unless you know your stuff is a problem for most. A lot of them have been thrashed and sold off to put the cost on the unwary buyer.

If you run in to buying a car you know nothing about and think you have found a bargain, you will come off very disappointed when things start (and they will) go wrong.

Unless you are mechanically minded, have friends or family who are, or know a good mech, do not buy the first FTO you see. You need to do a lot of research into it.

The first FTO I bought, I paid $5,000 for and had to get the Exhaust replaced (leak) and tappet covers replaced (leak).. repairs for that was around $700. Also be wary of the advertised year. BUILD DATE and IMPORT DATE are different!

Also, keep in mind you have the cost of insurance, for which at your age will not be cheap. I paid around $800 per year to keep mine insured with theft/fire insurance. The cost for comprehensive will be considerably more.

MUST HAVES:

If it's a GPX listen for the "tappety noise" and make sure MIVEC kicks in @ 5500rpm
If you have a volt meter, check the battery (often too weak)... and the alternator (common replacer)
If the FTO has a body kit on, make sure the paint matches and it's lined up properly.

Nice to haves:

Window Tint

So pretty much everything you would check on any other car... :facepalm:

Don't scare the guy, there are genuine examples of nice, clean, straight FTOs around.

And no, oil cap milky does not always mean blown head gasket. Better way to check would be if the oil/coolant is milky. Check for any smoke coming out of the exhaust that shouldn't be, make sure its running on all cylinders, holds idle correctly, is smooth through the rev range.

Most MIVECs have tappet noise and there is a DIY fix for it. Tappet noise will not usually be bad for the engine, just annoying.

I have a brand new engine and even it doesn't like being driven cold. Car should not be driven cold anyway. Most FTOs don't have brake upgrades anyway (in terms of caliper/disc size that is) because there isn't really an easy bolt on alternative (unless it's a GR with the 276mm upgrade)
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
EchoFTO

Post by EchoFTO »

Daniel2019 wrote:
EchoFTO wrote:

Cheers.

Unless you are mechanically minded, have friends or family who are, or know a good mech, do not buy the first FTO you see. You need to do a lot of research into it.

Also, keep in mind you have the cost of insurance, for which at your age will not be cheap. I paid around $800 per year to keep mine insured with theft/fire insurance. The cost for comprehensive will be considerably more.

MUST HAVES:

Nice to haves:

Window Tint

So pretty much everything you would check on any other car... :facepalm:

Don't scare the guy, there are genuine examples of nice, clean, straight FTOs around.

And no, oil cap milky does not always mean blown head gasket. Better way to check would be if the oil/coolant is milky. Check for any smoke coming out of the exhaust that shouldn't be, make sure its running on all cylinders, holds idle correctly, is smooth through the rev range.

Most MIVECs have tappet noise and there is a DIY fix for it. Tappet noise will not usually be bad for the engine, just annoying.

I have a brand new engine and even it doesn't like being driven cold. Car should not be driven cold anyway. Most FTOs don't have brake upgrades anyway (in terms of caliper/disc size that is) because there isn't really an easy bolt on alternative (unless it's a GR with the 276mm upgrade)

I'm by no means an expert, if you say checking the oil/coolant for milky residue is a better way to diagnose a problem with the head gasket I'd be more inclined to trust that instead. Yeah excessive smoke from the exhaust is generally not a good sign.

@FTOrgasm: I just listed my two cents, if there is anything drastically incorrect, I'm sure the other members will point it out for you to take into consideration.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

FTOrgasm wrote:Thank you for the replies! Nighthawk I really have taken a liking to Nath's scissor door FTO and I think that is the one I want! I agree though, no good ones in Vic atm how much would it cost to ship down Nath's FTO to Melbourne?

EchoFTO cheers for the reply will keep all of that in mind. I looked at comprehensive insurance for what I would get if I bought an FTO with all the features included and it was around $1,685 which is reasonable!

Thanks vectose
No worries. I've seen that car in person a few years ago (he was in Victoria for a bit) and it's quite nice, definitely better than most FTO's for sale at the moment. The engine is also in good condition, having purchased a cleaner, lower km example. The previous owner spent a lot of money on it with tasteful mods and servicing. Shipping will cost about $1,000 I think, but I reckon it would be more fun to drive it down yourself :)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Sale just fell through on the Lorax, so it is now available. Interior and Exterior in excellent condition. Kms a bit higher than you are after, but price more than makes up for that. Daniel2019 came down to check it out with his mate. He will vouch for condition.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Yep see my post in the car's for sale thread. Solid car at a good price.
    I fix cars.
    FTOrgasm

Post by FTOrgasm »

thanks for the help guys just trying to convince my dad to get me one now
    FTOrgasm

Post by FTOrgasm »

Went to look at an FTO today in Elsternwick it turned out to be a heap of sh*t unfortunately! For future references everyone save your time and don't bother with this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FTO-MITSUBIS ... f25&_uhb=1 Runs really rough (a lot of tappet noises and dodgy clutch and gearbox), broken handbrake, broken horn, broken front bumper, engine bay rusted out, and weirdly enough the battery was in the boot! 8O Has anyone else seen this before? cheaply wrapped car instead of paint. Would cost a couple of grand easy to get it up and running on the road. Anyway I'm still on the hunt for a DECENT FTO I really want to get Naths scissor door one but don't know how i'd go about getting it back down to Melbourne!
    c0n13oX
    Grease Monkey

Post by c0n13oX »

Drive it back down? All youd need would be an unrego permit for that state
    destinationtoby wrote:Drive faster, naked with ice cubes
    destinationtoby
    Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

EchoFTO wrote:
    MUST HAVES:

Lol as if that fuckin matters
    Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
    except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
    FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Don't buy a version R then :lol:
    (shh vectose)
    I fix cars.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Actually, both Vectose and mine now fold as well.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      ObsidianRadio
      Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

And to think that when I purchased my FTO, it did none of these good things, rust, tappet noise, mis-matched panels...

...And now I'm here :lol:
      Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
      http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU