Looking at buying an FTO... Again

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Alemenara
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Looking at buying an FTO... Again

Post by Alemenara »

Hey guys I posted about 18 months ago looking at buying an FTO, which I didn't go through with. I'm currently looking into buying a GPX off a member who posts on here occasionally.

Ive done some light reading but there isn't a whole lot of information around about them.

The car I'm looking at is a 96 GPX In blue with a sunroof and a factory momo wheel. Wiki doesn't have a whole lot of info regarding anything other than the GPXvR. I'll make a quick list of questions.

- Did the GPX come with a viscous type LSD?
- How hard is it to get parts for these cars in Australia?
- Is there anything specific that I need to inspect taking into account the cars age now (a lot of the FAQs/Sticky's are 10+ years old)
- Is there anything that is really difficult to locate/find in good working/serviceable condition?
- How valuable are spares and whats worth keeping as spares for these?
- What commonly goes wrong with these cars and what can I expect from one if I were to daily drive it/use it for track work?
- How do they handle comparative to a Honda Integra type R, Nissan Skyline or Toyota Supra (not that I'm looking at these models, I just understand how they drive)
- Whats a reasonable price to pay for something in good condition?
- Are there any rare options I should keep my eye out for?

Sorry for all the random questions but I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this for me! Thanks :D
mezje
Mechanic

Re: Looking at buying an FTO... Again

Post by mezje »

Alemenara wrote:Hey guys I posted about 18 months ago looking at buying an FTO, which I didn't go through with. I'm currently looking into buying a GPX off a member who posts on here occasionally.

Ive done some light reading but there isn't a whole lot of information around about them.

The car I'm looking at is a 96 GPX In blue with a sunroof and a factory momo wheel. Wiki doesn't have a whole lot of info regarding anything other than the GPXvR. I'll make a quick list of questions.

- Did the GPX come with a viscous type LSD?
- How hard is it to get parts for these cars in Australia?
- Is there anything specific that I need to inspect taking into account the cars age now (a lot of the FAQs/Sticky's are 10+ years old)
- Is there anything that is really difficult to locate/find in good working/serviceable condition?
- How valuable are spares and whats worth keeping as spares for these?
- What commonly goes wrong with these cars and what can I expect from one if I were to daily drive it/use it for track work?
- How do they handle comparative to a Honda Integra type R, Nissan Skyline or Toyota Supra (not that I'm looking at these models, I just understand how they drive)
- Whats a reasonable price to pay for something in good condition?
- Are there any rare options I should keep my eye out for?

Sorry for all the random questions but I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this for me! Thanks :D

The FAQs are still relevant...

- AFAIK yes, some did, maybe only the GPvR did though...
- No, check for roof rust being a 96, all other FAQs are still relevant...
- Parts are easy to find, many are being wrecked all the time
- Not valuable, I never kept any of mine and as above parts are easy to find IMO
- They run fine if they are well looked after, like any car really.
- Handle very well, all the cars you listed handle wildly differently, idk which one you want to compare with...
- Prices vary a lot depending on condition, anywhere around 4 seems reasonable for a nice one.
- LSD, strut braces, apart from that not much else really that I can think of right now.

completefto is a great website and resource, check it out.
bjk
Totes

Re: Looking at buying an FTO... Again

Post by bjk »

Pretty sure viscous LSD was a factory option, so some have it, some don't. There's a thread here with a list of the gearbox codes to tell what's got an LSD and what hasn't, but I can't seem to find it atm. :lol:

Like mezje said, parts are reasonably easy to find, though occasionally the aftermarket options for new things aren't quite as good as OEM. In the instances you do need an OEM part though, most can be ordered through Amayama. Helps also that there are shared parts between other Mitsubishi models.