What to look for when buying an FTO

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jonowong
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by jonowong »

young_gun wrote:Once again guys cheers!!! jonowong your fto sounds very promising, what did the leatherette interior cost and could you send me some pictures of your car. Cheers mate

Also any advice from anyone on turboing a FTO? I know GPX will cost more to turbo but the GP is apparently cheaper?? A rough figure would be appreciated and is it worth it?

Cheers
[/quote]

msg me on msn ;)
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

GPX - 2.0 litre, V6, 24v, DOHC, Mivec

GR/GX - 2.0 litre, V6, 24v, DOHC - NonMivec

GP VersionR - Made 1997 onwards. Same as the GPX but with coloured seats, LSD, unique spoiler and lightened for better handling etc. As a result this model has manual climate control features.

GS - 1.8 litre, 4cyclinder :oops: Still looks good though :D

All FTOs came equipped with either a 5sp. manual gearbox or tiptronic gearbox.

The mivec models are claimed to deliver anywhere between 10-20hp more than the non-mivec GR/GX.

Most of the FTOs you will find are pre, 1997 models also known as pre-facelift. Mitsubishi did some minor adjustments to the FTO from 1997, most noticeable being the front bumper and for tiptronic models a more sturdy 5sp. gearbox as compared to the previous 4sp. There is also supposed to be a difference in manual gearbox ratios between facelift and pre-facelift models.

Engine/Performance

1)Turn on car and make sure no check engine or warning lights stay on. Check overall look of engine, is it clean, does it look like no one has touched it in months? Chances are someone who pays attention to their engine bay truly cares for their car. Check oil level and colour, should be lighter than black and drip freely off of the dipstick.

2)Check idle. The idle on FTOs are controlled by a small motor located just below the throttle body. These commonly go bad and while not very expensive or hard to replace can be annoying, car can cut out, idle irratically etc. Typically an idle of about 600-900rpm is ok. Make sure it idles smoothly and doesnt miss. Would also be a good time to listen for the tappets. If you hear a loud tapping noise the tappets may need replacing, which on a GR/GX (tappets non-adjustable), can mean a lot of money, headache.

3)Check air filter quality. Is it covered in dirt or clean? A dirty filter can point to a poorly maintained engine.

4)Check all other fluid levels, power steering, radiator, etc. Examine quality of pipes to make sure they are in good condition and not leaking.

5)Make sure that when warm the engine revs freely and smoothly to redline with no knoking or pinging and in the case of mivec that you can hear it engage.

6)If possible have a compression test done on at least the front 3 cyclinders which are easy to get to to make sure there are no significant variations.

7)Check below car for oil leaks or stains especially if you are viewing it in the spot it usally stays in.

8)Have someone rev the car and make sure it is not spitting blue or black smoke or any significant smoke at all.

9)Remove timing belt cover and examine timing belt. If the vehicle is close to or over 100,000km ask if the belt has been changed. If so it should appear relatively new. If in doubt and you purchase the car it would be wise to have this professionaly changed anyway.

Transmission

For Tiptronic transmissions, take the car for a test drive and allow it to run through all of the gears in automatic. Make sure all changes are smooth and not jerky. Engage the car in tiptronic and change up manually at high rpm. There should not be any significant delay in gear change or harsh changing. Even in tiptronic mode, after coming to a dead stop the car should automatically revert to 1st gear.

Although 5sp transmissions are typically stronger than the 4sp, all of the above information still applies.

If you cannot test drive the car, start it, engage tiptronic mode and with your foot on the brake, gear from 1st to 2nd. If it changes smoothly and quickly its a good indication the transmission is ok. However if there is a delay and then a harsh jerk, it may have problems. In most cases these symptoms are due to poor fluid and filter changes and sometimes a simple fluid change will fix the problem but it may indicate a more serious failure somewhere.

In all cases, test the fluid level. Fluid should be clearish red and drip freely.

--------------------------------

For manual transmissions all are 5spd. While car is off run through gears with clutch pressed in to make sure the stick is free and returns to the neutral position. Turn engine on and engage/disengage clutch and listen for any noises. Test drive the car and run through the gears, gearing up and down. If possible when warm gear up at high rpm and feel for any raking or scratching of gears. This problem seems to be more common in a cold gearbox. Some additives may improve this but it may be a serious case of bad synchros. In a higher gear or when going up a hill, try to feel if clutch is slipping, this will usually be obvious on a bad clutch since the car will rev freely but fail to move forward in relation to the revs.

Exterior Body

This is relatively straightforward since the principles are same with every car. Look for any rust in creases, on the roof, in the bonnet. Move the carpet by the spare tire to make sure no watter is leaking in and collecting. If there is a sunroof, open it to make sure it is not leaking water or rusty. Even a small bubble or rust car mean some serious problems in the future. Look for any unusual / unsymmetrical seams or welds under the bonnet and boot since this may indicate serious accident repair bodywork. If the car colour has been changed, find out why. If there is an aftermarket bodykit make sure there are no cracks or serious chips in the body work.

Check below the car for rust or any damage to the exhaust system.
Check headlight/tailamps for condensation or delaminating. Make sure all lights come on including brakes, indicators and reverse. Look for overall panel alignment. While it is not uncommon for the plastic front and back bumpers to warp slightly, they should not be significantly misaligned. Make sure wheels are in good condition and tyres are wearing evenly.

Interior

Again, fairly obvious. Make sure all lights on the dash come on. Make sure cigarette lighter works. Make sure A/C gets cold/hot and climate control resonds to your commands. With sunroof make sure it opens/closes properly. Make sure voltmeter reads accurately and current does not bob or fluctuate significantly when indicator is pressed or lights are turned on/off since this may indicate a poor alternator, another common FTO problem.

The centre console around the gearknob / ashtray commonly breaks and snaps so carefully check this. Look at condition of seats and upholstery. Compare condition of the car to claimed mileage and year. Check the seatbelt labels to see the year of manufacture. Chances are if the car has very low mileage it has been tampered with and is not accurate especially if the interior looks well used. On the other hand higher mileage does not necessarily mean the car is in bad condition.

Listen for rattles on the test drive. Window rattles are common but are not serious. Check central locking as some door motors tend to be weak.
Wind up down both windows and test wipers. Make sure all seatbelts are working properly.

Brakes/Suspension

The V6 models all come with all round disc brakes. The GPX, GPvR come standard with 2pot calipers in the front while the GR/GX come with single pot calipers and smaller discs in the front. Rear brakes are the same on all models. On test drive make sure the brake bites when pressed on. A spongy pedal feel may indicate air in the lines. Look at pads to make sure they are not right down. Brake hard and feel for any feedback in the pedal. A pedal that bobs under braking may indicate a warped disc. If the car has ABS or Traction Control which came as a factory option test to make sure that they engage and check dashboard to make sure the ABS/TC light does not stay on which would indicate a fault. Standard discs are not very good and are prone to warping and are therefore usually replaced by drilled or slotted aftermarket ones.

As far as suspension listen for any noises and knocks. Most common problems are old droplinks or bushings on the suspension arm or anti-roll bar whcih may need replacing. These are not very expensive. A more serious or loud noise or knocking may indicate old shocks that need replacing or a more serious problem. If you hear anything serious have the suspension looked at by a professional, preferably on a ramp since suspension noise can be hard to trace.

Performance

Generally Mitsubishi got it spot on with getting the most from the 2.0 litre engine which is in part why they won car of the year two years in a row in Japan when it came out. They are highly tuned so as far as tweaking there is not much you can do to get it faster. Here are some basic add ons that you can look out for when searching for a car so you can save yourself some money and time...

1)Air Filter/Intake . This is about the first and cheapest value for money mod you can get. Make sure it is clean and is stable (not bouncing around the engine bay) A cold air intake which funnels air to the filter or a setup which allows the filter to sit farther away from the heat of the engine is best. This will also have replaced the restrictive standard pipe.

2)Exhaust. This can be anything from just a muffler to a complete replacement. Usually the more common setups are cat-back, which replaces the piping from the catalytic converter all the way to the muffler. However even more restrictive is the downpipe which falls between the 2 extractors and cat. You would do well to find an FTO which has had its downpipe replaced for a more freeflowing one.

3) Fueling. Usually an adjustable, boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator.
This allows more fuel into the combustion chamber. Generally the car ECU will compensate for small air/fuel variations so this is not a very useful mod on its own but good to have for more serious upgrades. Upgraded injectors and fuel pumps are also available for very serious tuners or those who go the turbocharge route.

4) Ignition. Usually replaced with larger gauge wire and higher quality spark plugs. Allows a cleaner better spark.

5) Piggyback ECU/Chip. Depending on make/model these allow you to control the fueling and ignition timing of the car. There is a lot of debate as to weather these do much on the FTO without other serious mods, but cant hurt to have one.

6) Gauges. Misc gauges will allow you to keep better track of whats happening to your car.

7) Handling. Most people will have installed larger rims and tyres and then added some lowering springs. These can improve the look of the car as well as its handling. Also adjustable shocks can allow you to control the stiffness of the car as well as help eliminate body roll. The same is true of strut braces which go across between the front and or back suspension top mounts. Polyurethane bushings also give a better steering response.
A limited slip differential (standard on the GPvR) is rare but will also dramatically improve traction around corners and better launching from a stand still.

General Comments

Buying a new car (especially a FTO :)) Can be exciting, and you may be tempted to grab the first thing with a bodykit that comes along. But do yourself a favour and be clear headed when making an investment since the wrong thing can cost you a lot more money not to mention tears in the long run.

Try to feel out the seller. If its a personal sale why is he/she selling? Do they talk as thought they are proud of their car, or like they are truly familiar with it? Do they have any documentation to prove its been serviced regularly? Did they even bother to have it cleaned before you got there? Are they honest about answering your questions or are they just quick to tell you their car is the coolest, fastest sounding FTO in the world and how lucky you would be if you bought it? Do some research so you sound like you know what you are talking about and cant be fooled. If you have any doubts, put off the sale, come on the forum and ask a question, we wont put you wrong.

If anything feels fishy best to walk away there will always be another one.

I've had an FTO GX for almost 4 years. Started with tiptronic did a manual transplant and is now turbocharged so i am very familiar with the car having done most of the work myself. However I still make mistakes so dont listen to me alone.

Anyone please feel free to ad or let me know if i said anything wrong 8)
Last edited by RedlineGX on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

thats some great info
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

a car bout 10 years old, just check everything. Get a pro in just to be safe.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

payaya wrote:a car bout 10 years old, just check everything. Get a pro in just to be safe.
when i go to the pros...I need protection just to be safe.
pinkmozzie

Kilometre Query

Post by pinkmozzie »

I am looking to buy my first FTO, and am wondering what kilometers the engines are supposed to be good for. I have heard many times Hyundai's are for 200,000, toyota celica 400,000. What is considered "high" for an FTO??
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

It all really depends, i dont think you can put any car into a category like that, you need to look at history more than how many kms its done, how often has it been serviced (log books) etc. my mate has a celica its done well over 600,000km and he flogs the snot out it, its never had any real major stuff done to it, just general wear items, but he services and maintainnes it like you wouldnt believe.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
payaya
Oldtimer

Re:

Post by payaya »

RedlineGX wrote:GPX - 2.0 litre, V6, 24v, DOHC,

9)Remove timing belt cover and examine timing belt. If the vehicle is close to or over 100,000km ask if the belt has been changed. If so it should appear relatively new. If in doubt and you purchase the car it would be wise to have this professionaly changed anyway.

All timing belts on fto's should ave been changed by now regardless or km's and year.

Transmission

For Tiptronic transmissions, take the car for a test drive and allow it to run through all of the gears in automatic. Make sure all changes are smooth and not jerky. Engage the car in tiptronic and change up manually at high rpm. There should not be any significant delay in gear change or harsh changing. Even in tiptronic mode, after coming to a dead stop the car should automatically revert to 1st gear.

Although 5sp transmissions are typically stronger than the 4sp, all of the above information still applies.

If you cannot test drive the car, start it, engage tiptronic mode and with your foot on the brake, gear from 1st to 2nd. If it changes smoothly and quickly its a good indication the transmission is ok. However if there is a delay and then a harsh jerk, it may have problems. In most cases these symptoms are due to poor fluid and filter changes and sometimes a simple fluid change will fix the problem but it may indicate a more serious failure somewhere.

In all cases, test the fluid level. Fluid should be clearish red and drip freely.

--------------------------------
How does shifting from first to second while stationary a test for a bad transmission? Always test a transmission in full auto as having it in tip can hide certain invecs issues.

Get the car when cold start it and ring the sh*t out of it immediately IMO.
Bennoz
National President

Re: What to look for when buying an FTO

Post by Bennoz »

f**ken hell, what were you trolling for when you dug this up Batman?
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Re:

Post by phi-tec »

I8A4RE wrote:It all really depends, i dont think you can put any car into a category like that, you need to look at history more than how many kms its done, how often has it been serviced (log books) etc. my mate has a celica its done well over 600,000km and he flogs the snot out it, its never had any real major stuff done to it, just general wear items, but he services and maintainnes it like you wouldnt believe.
agreed, i read somewhere some guy with an old holden did 1,000,000 kms
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

sorry forgot to add, and apparently only had one issue and it was a small one (i forgot) over its lifetime
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Can I add - dont just pick up the first one you find! I test drove 3 before I found mine, which was just absolutely thousands of times better than the previous ones I looked at. I was tempted to buy the first one I found, and if you find a good one first go then sure, buy the bastard, but if theres things wrong with it, youre better off to keep looking - there are genuinely good FTO's out there, be PATIENT.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Bennoz wrote:f**ken hell, what were you trolling for when you dug this up Batman?
No clue haha.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Daniel2019 wrote:Can I add - dont just pick up the first one you find! I test drove 3 before I found mine, which was just absolutely thousands of times better than the previous ones I looked at. I was tempted to buy the first one I found, and if you find a good one first go then sure, buy the bastard, but if theres things wrong with it, youre better off to keep looking - there are genuinely good FTO's out there, be PATIENT.
Mine was the first one I went to check out - Funnily enough, I was looking online with a friend, couldn't find anything that really stood out, either all had higher kms than what I wanted (85000+ though this was start of 2006) or didn't look appealing. After giving up, hit refresh on the main page and a new car popped up, just as the guy had put the ad up. Was just meant to be :)
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

My FTO was the first one I saw as well, and I wasn't even looking for a FTO, payed cash 8 hours after spotting it. Glad I did, because after I bought mine my wife wanted one. Sold the family car and went looking, I looked at over 20 other FTO's and everyone of the was crap compared to mine (the first one I saw), ended up buying her an Opel Vectra. Moral, if I didn't buy mine on impulse I would never have found one better. You just got to be sure it's good for you.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

PHIL069 wrote:My FTO was the first one I saw as well, and I wasn't even looking for a FTO, payed cash 8 hours after spotting it. Glad I did, because after I bought mine my wife wanted one. Sold the family car and went looking, I looked at over 20 other FTO's and everyone of the was crap compared to mine (the first one I saw), ended up buying her an Opel Vectra. Moral, if I didn't buy mine on impulse I would never have found one better. You just got to be sure it's good for you.
Didn't really have that problem as when I bought one the FTO's were still new. They were only 3-4 years on when I got mine and low kms. All I looked at were under 40k.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

I bought the first one i looked at and it was a sh*t box
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Mine still had the new car smell as well! :) Took me a month to get a replacement head light bulb back in the days. No where sold them had no clue what a 9006 or 9005 was!
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Sahin wrote:I bought the first one i looked at and it was a sh*t box
payaya wrote:Mine still had the new car smell as well! :) Took me a month to get a replacement head light bulb back in the days. No where sold them had no clue what a 9006 or 9005 was!
Sucks to be you :(

Great to be me 8)
We're too young to be Payaya :bigsmurf:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

PHIL069 wrote:
Sahin wrote:I bought the first one i looked at and it was a sh*t box
payaya wrote:Mine still had the new car smell as well! :) Took me a month to get a replacement head light bulb back in the days. No where sold them had no clue what a 9006 or 9005 was!
Sucks to be you :(

Great to be me 8)
We're too young to be Payaya :bigsmurf:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
How old do you think I am? :)