insurance is killing me

Found a good price to insure your FTO? Or looking for insurance for your ride? This is the section to look in.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lwrida
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

insurance is killing me

Post by lwrida »

I have a 96 GPX and have paid for insurance already this year, which was $4300. Ive have one accident since ive been driving and im on my red p's.

I live in south sydney, and Just car insurance is killing me with this $4300 bs.

Anyone know of an insurance company that has cheaper full insurance?

I don't want to give up my FTO but if i can't find cheaper insurance, I might be forced to :(
aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú sibh sin mé bualadh craicinn sibh... FTO GPX 95' táirgí tuilí
[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8306/banner2ae0.jpg[/img]
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

Did you get that quote through Just Cars online quoting system? And is this your first year of having comprohensive insurance?
sxcfto
Mechanic

Post by sxcfto »

I used to be insured with just cars ... and it was very expensive and im over 30 and rating one driver ... I am now insured with unique car insurance and found they are much more reasonable and you can pay by the month with them ... maybe give them a call ?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

its been covered 100 times....under 25 with and FTO and your insurance is gonna be stupid.

I think I have told numerous ppl not to buy them, its just a retarded thing to do, pay 4k for full comp for a car u paid 12k for...

I pay just over $1k. Which is still pretty high IMO. COnsidering my ford was $500 and 5 years newer.

My R33 is cheaper to insure than my FTO also by about $150.
tarkus
Mechanic

Post by tarkus »

I pay $650 full comp'

but I am 57 years old, rating one for 10 years.

Thats with TORQUE (1300 369 769)

I got my motor-bike with them as well, $121 full comp.

Tarkus
Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

Wow this was a little surprising, I thought you were actually being killed by your insurance company.

I mean I expected to come into this thread and you'd be all like "OMFG like WTF some GUY FROM the AAMI CAME AROUND MY PLACE with A BAT AND HE'S FULLY BEATING the sh*t OUTTA ME BRO'S WHAT SHOULD DO?" which in itself would of been somewhat shocking because any moron with half the mental capacity of a piece of cheese would have known he'd be better off calling the police then posting on a forum.

Further to this, any moron with similar said mental capacity would not be paying almost 40% of his cars value every year for comprehensive insurance.

All things considered that pretty much leaves you as the single dumbest (or maybe your daddy's just rich) person here, congratulations my friend.

The only way you'll get even quasi-affordable comprehensive insurance is if you put the car in your parents/grandparents name and have them organise it.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well bad news for all you young ones, insurance companies had recently change a few things.

Now you have to be 30 and over to get half decent rates, and some even refuse to insure you if you're under 30 and that rules apply to any type of cars, not just imports :?

Like KJ said, most L/P plater think is all cool to get a hot looking, decent performance with a low price tag import . But not many of you really consider the running cost, so its a lesson to be learn.
scarecrow wrote:The only way you'll get even quasi-affordable comprehensive insurance is if you put the car in your parents/grandparents name and have them organise it.
You are aware that insurance companies quote prices base on the youngest driver on the list right?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

scarecrow wrote:Wow this was a little surprising, I thought you were actually being killed by your insurance company.

I mean I expected to come into this thread and you'd be all like "OMFG like WTF some GUY FROM the AAMI CAME AROUND MY PLACE with A BAT AND HE'S FULLY BEATING the sh*t OUTTA ME BRO'S WHAT SHOULD DO?" which in itself would of been somewhat shocking because any moron with half the mental capacity of a piece of cheese would have known he'd be better off calling the police then posting on a forum.

Further to this, any moron with similar said mental capacity would not be paying almost 40% of his cars value every year for comprehensive insurance.

All things considered that pretty much leaves you as the single dumbest (or maybe your daddy's just rich) person here, congratulations my friend.

The only way you'll get even quasi-affordable comprehensive insurance is if you put the car in your parents/grandparents name and have them organise it.
I agree with the theory...but no point getting stuck into him mate how does that help...he cant do much now since he has one.

Your premium is base don the youngest driver usually these days. the old parents trick doesnt work.

Lucky I will be 30 this year...:P
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

arghhh you serious?? im 21 this year and im like only four years to go... yay!! bang.....make that 9!!! arghhhh bet when im 28 they make it 40.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

Samson wrote:arghhh you serious?? im 21 this year and im like only four years to go... yay!! bang.....make that 9!!! arghhhh bet when im 28 they make it 40.
dont say that >.<

but that does seem to be what they do though doesnt it lol.

oh well, i don t think i will be able to ever afford full comp.

nope the parent/older driver trick doesnt work :( i tried lol

however on other cars... i.e. mum's camery "sportive", it's insured as her and dad being the main driver, but if anyone else has an accident in it, it's still cover by insurance, but they just hit you with a high excess, and a even higher one depending on the drivers age and sex.... young male drivers fetch the highest lol... hmm.. good thing that the pole came 2nd best when it met the car :roll:
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
boarsai
Mechanic

Post by boarsai »

The parent driver thing can help a tiny bit... if the younger driver is labeled as a rare driver... once in a blue moon driver. Mind you that'd be telling a great big fib and they might frown on you...

My g/f is on my full comp... she's not 25 but is labelled as a once in a blue moon driver, which is accurate, she's driven it once. This made it cheaper then putting her down as a regular driver.

If people do that and drive regularly... the can save a couple of hundred dollars at least. Depending on ages, genders and insurance companies of course.
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

FTO338 wrote:You are aware that insurance companies quote prices base on the youngest driver on the list right?
khunjeng wrote:Your premium is base don the youngest driver usually these days. the old parents trick doesnt work.
The idea is not to admit to being a regular driver of the car at all, if the cars sitting in a parking lot one day and someone sets fire to it your parents lodge a claim and all is well. If you're driving it and slam it into another car writing both off then your parents tell the insurance company they let another driver borrow the vehicle and you pay an unlisted driver excess of about $1500 on top of your normal excess.

Unlike compulsory third party you are able to cancel comprehensive insurance and be refunded the unused portion of what you've paid so far.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
Sparhawk
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Sparhawk »

I just did an online quote with Dawes Motor Underwriting including the mods done to my car (not that there are many other than cosmetic) and they quoted $806

I am 37 though, so I just wanted to rub it in a little... :P
[color=blue]Death is life's way of telling you - you're fired.[/color]
Oh Bugger, my sig block pic has dropped off the host ;(
lwrida
Mechanic

Post by lwrida »

scarecrow wrote:
I mean I expected to come into this thread and you'd be all like "OMFG like WTF some GUY FROM the AAMI CAME AROUND MY PLACE with A BAT AND HE'S FULLY BEATING the sh*t OUTTA ME BRO'S WHAT SHOULD DO?" which in itself would of been somewhat shocking because any moron with half the mental capacity of a piece of cheese would have known he'd be better off calling the police then posting on a forum. quote]

I would'nt worry to much about the insurance if they turned up with a bat, I'd take it off em and bash them with it.. hmm havent done that before :twisted:
I just did an online quote with Dawes Motor Underwriting including the mods done to my car (not that there are many other than cosmetic) and they quoted $806
Lets see if they give me a quote or if they will take me.

I didnt get my FTO because of any reason besides that ever since i saw my first one a few years back ive wanted one. I love them :)
aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú sibh sin mé bualadh craicinn sibh... FTO GPX 95' táirgí tuilí
[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8306/banner2ae0.jpg[/img]
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

scarecrow wrote:
FTO338 wrote:You are aware that insurance companies quote prices base on the youngest driver on the list right?
khunjeng wrote:Your premium is base don the youngest driver usually these days. the old parents trick doesnt work.
The idea is not to admit to being a regular driver of the car at all, if the cars sitting in a parking lot one day and someone sets fire to it your parents lodge a claim and all is well. If you're driving it and slam it into another car writing both off then your parents tell the insurance company they let another driver borrow the vehicle and you pay an unlisted driver excess of about $1500 on top of your normal excess.

Unlike compulsory third party you are able to cancel comprehensive insurance and be refunded the unused portion of what you've paid so far.
You really think a multi-million company isn't aware of this? Good luck when you have an accident, as i can assure you, they will do anything within their power and legally try not to pay you. I've got few friends in insurance, and he tell me these "young driver declined claim" story all the time.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

Sparhawk wrote:I just did an online quote with Dawes Motor Underwriting including the mods done to my car (not that there are many other than cosmetic) and they quoted $806

:P just tried these guys but they said im to young, im 21. Im not complaining either so knowone start yelling at me please

They did however say to Try contacting the Insurance Ombudsman who runs a public service to help people with insurance.

He's on 1800 780 808

That whole insuring your car under your grandparents name works a real treat, my girl tried insuring her car under herself and was going to have to pay $6948.?? she ended up insuring it under her grandfather with her set as a non owner driver and ended up on having to pay $2348.?? and that was through NRMA which is pretty good i think
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

topao wrote:
Sparhawk wrote:I just did an online quote with Dawes Motor Underwriting including the mods done to my car (not that there are many other than cosmetic) and they quoted $806

:P just tried these guys but they said im to young, im 21. Im not complaining either so knowone start yelling at me please

They did however say to Try contacting the Insurance Ombudsman who runs a public service to help people with insurance.

He's on 1800 780 808

That whole insuring your car under your grandparents name works a real treat, my girl tried insuring her car under herself and was going to have to pay $6948.?? she ended up insuring it under her grandfather with her set as a non owner driver and ended up on having to pay $2348.?? and that was through NRMA which is pretty good i think
So her grandparents name is on the rego sheet?
Or she just put herself down as a non-owner driver for insurance purposes and her name is on the rego sheet.
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

I'm with Just cars for $2,497pa Compo.
topao
Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

JOeJOe wrote:
topao wrote:

He's on 1800 780 808

So her grandparents name is on the rego sheet?
Or she just put herself down as a non-owner driver for insurance purposes and her name is on the rego sheet.

Grandparents name on rego and then there name as owner of the car for insurance and she just as another driver
Fulltiltorgasm
Grease Monkey

Post by Fulltiltorgasm »

umm i'm gettin quite a good deal it seems, im with just car and i pay $2100, im 19 this year, driver record is clean as, no claims, no disqualifications and first owner since imported and when i asked apparently the newer the year model of fto the more it will save you, and mine is a 97 gpx :lol: