Red Ps With FTO

Found a good price to insure your FTO? Or looking for insurance for your ride? This is the section to look in.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ricometa
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Red Ps With FTO

Post by ricometa »

I am looking in getting a FTO i got my Ps a week or 2 ago, and i live in sydney im 17 and how much will it cost me for the lowest insurance. .
i know nothing about insurance.

What is the minimum of insurance that i need 3rd party? :S
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Sweet, hope you get a FTO :)
just go to http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au/onli ... -terms.asp
and get a quote not many places will let you get insurance.. i'm 19 i got justcars full comp and its costing me $1500.00
ricometa
Apprentice

Post by ricometa »

do i have to get insurance?
my sis is telling me i dont and jus let my dad put his name under the car :S
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

ricometa wrote:do i have to get insurance?
yes. that doesnt work anymore the premium us based on the youngest driver.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Yep and you said you're in sydney right ? :( Insurance in syd for an fto is generally really high. Not to mention a sucky excess too. I'd be surprised if you get away for under 3k, unless you live in a really nice area, rarely use the car and have it locked up. Realistically, in a typical suburb in syd, daily driver, red P's...i think you'd be looking at almost 4k.
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

ricometa - the levels of insurance work as follows. Just remember that this is a general guide for NSW. It may differ depending on the insurance policy:

Compulsory Third Party - otherwise known as a 'Green Slip.' This provides compensation for other people injured in an accident when you or the person driving your vehicle is the driver at fault. It must be taken up each year when registering your car, and is only valid if you have current (i.e. not expired) rego. There is a calculator located at: http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=102

Third Party Property - usually called 'Third Party' insurance. Generally it provides cover for the cost of repairs to someone elses car and property in an accident in which are you are at fault. It doesn't cover repair costs to your car in an accident.

Comprehensive Insurance - generally, the difference between this and third party is that it will cover repair costs to both cars/property in an accident, regardless if you are at fault or not. Also covers your car if it is stolen.

Do you need third party or comprehensive insurance?
You don't NEED it, so long as you're aware that if you do have an accident you may have to pay for repairs, etc out of your own pocket. Just say you are driving along one day and run up the back of a Merc..
a) If you have no insurance, you'll need to pay repair costs to the Merc, and your own car.
b) If you have third party insurance, you'll need to pay the excess required under the policy, plus repair costs for your car.
c) If you have comprehensive insurance, you'll need to pay an excess.
ricometa
Apprentice

Post by ricometa »

thanks guys ill look into it. i live in the suburb where statistics have said where hte least robbery occurs (west pennant hills)
ricometa
Apprentice

Post by ricometa »

khunjeng wrote:
how would they know? if i drive the car if its under my dads name, if anything does happen i could jus say i drive it on rare occasions
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

ricometa wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
how would they know? if i drive the car if its under my dads name, if anything does happen i could jus say i drive it on rare occasions
yeah don't bother trying to say that... do you really think that a multi million dollar company will let that slip.... they will try anything to avoid paying you to fix your car
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

ricometa wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
If you're not insured and get into an accident and it's your fault no one is going to pay you.

Rare occasion is a rare occasion, if you are not insured then you just have to cop it.
lwrida
Mechanic

Post by lwrida »

Don't want to scare you but, just car wanted $4300 for full insurance and I had only had my red p's for a month. Had to do with the dodgy area I live in (Punchbowl) and the car cause its a sports car.
aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú grá sí, aithním thú sibh sin mé bualadh craicinn sibh... FTO GPX 95' táirgí tuilí
[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8306/banner2ae0.jpg[/img]
KLRFTO
Apprentice

insurance

Post by KLRFTO »

lol yeah the cops are gunna love those little red bits of plastic either side of your plates man, awesome that you managed to get yourself a effie at 17 man congrates mine was an 18th present to myself and the cops love the greens next to my plates and so did the insurance company which is more to the point, Just car is the way to go but i didnt get away with it under $4700 which trips everyones head including mine at times, but u gotta do what you think suits you, if you drive it hard :twisted: (who can honestly tell me they occasionally dont) then theres a probability you will come unstuck so compulsary third party and comprehensive would be a must in my mind but maybe not yours, If you intend on driving like an old granny then maybe you could convince yourself that 3rd party is enough,
Me and im going from experience cos im only 18 too if you can afford comprehensive then get it cos in my case where i drove my FTO fairly steadily regardless, the unexpected can happen like me cracking a rim and spun out nailing a gutter, an im not trying to preach cos i can admit im still a inexperienced driver in a phenominally powerful car for a p plater maybe with more experience i may have controled the sudden lose of steering and still been driving it around instead of sitting in a smash repairer waiting for parts or maybe it could of happened to the most experienced of drivers (peter brock for example) but the point im trying to make is the unexpected can happen and im not saying it could be your fault cos when i drive i think of my self as driving for my own life i dont know how many times hoons in there v8s have cum powersliding down the wrong side of the road heading straight for you and your girlfriend or whatever and you've had to save you,friends and your car from the likes of these people clowning around and there the ones who drive unlicensed and uninsured in there daddies powerful car without experience making the cops stick to us like glue and impossing unfair and unnessesary restrictions and smashing up our pride and hard earned
money which we selflessly poor into our cars, if you can understand what im trying to say in this cos i kinda drifted off a little bit but i believe its relevant to recap basically with comprehensive then youve got a safe guard, third party your relying on yourself and others(like you would trust other drivers) driving ability,

you be the judge,
and safe and happy driving, just remenber bent ftos arnt pretty, i miss mine to bits and its only been 2 months, as the rhyme goes all i wont for xmas is my 2 front teeth 8O well 2 front recaros and my fto would happily do me lo :lol: (anyone looking to get rid of parts i.e passenger suspension stuff
there may be handsome rewards available lol)

Bye 4 now
Gotta love the look on the bogan v8 drivers faces when they hear the scream of 7500rpm mivec slaying there puny 5 litre paper weights with twice the power, yeah thats a FTO
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

im the same... i have had my fto for almost 6-8 months now... my insurance is with just car... i am 17... but i am not on the policy as a driver... it is under my dads name which saved us over $1000... also with just car u have the option to chose low premium high excess... or high premium low excess !!! this is good if you know you are not likely to have an accident... or just drive safely ..lol... but yea im red p plate and havent been stopped by a cop once !!!
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

ricometa wrote:thanks guys ill look into it. i live in the suburb where statistics have said where hte least robbery occurs (west pennant hills)
dude, i live in cherrybrook lol
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

tippin9 wrote:
ricometa wrote:thanks guys ill look into it. i live in the suburb where statistics have said where hte least robbery occurs (west pennant hills)
dude, i live in cherrybrook lol
pretty old thread due :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...