Insurance in Perth? (young driver)

Found a good price to insure your FTO? Or looking for insurance for your ride? This is the section to look in.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jakeb
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Insurance in Perth? (young driver)

Post by jakeb »

Alrighty guys not sure how to put this lightly heh. (My name is Jacob by the way it'll be great to join you all soon ^_^).

Ah anyway, I should be grabbing an FTO on sunday should the mechanical check pass on it and such. Insurance has been crossing my mind a fair bit as I know they tend to stinge out when it comes to import cars.

No point hiding this:
3 Weeks ago I wrote-off my N14 Pulsar in a 4 car pile up (I was the last car in the lot, but blahblah you know the deal, I smashed into the back of someone so it's my fault). The crash is on my record. I also have a 12km/h speeding fine against my name (dodgy gun but can't do much, they're cops).

My question is, how much is this going to bite me in the arse? My pulsar was insured under my mum's name with me listed a designated driver and that only cost $384 with a $1250 excess (and $2900 of cover, not even half of the car cost), and that is with SGIO comprehensive.

I'm 17 and just going on 7 months of having my license, what a wonderful record I have already. Should I be expecting SGIO to knock us back when we ask them to insure the FTO, or just expect a massive excess and never ever ever crash my car again?

Ta, Jacob.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

if you haven't had any license suspension, cancellation, disqualification (even if set aside on appeal, amended license conditions or good driver behavior imposed), then the speeding fine will not make an impact on your premiums.

having that at fault claim to your name is however going to leave an impression on your insurance, it'll mean 1: your rating will be lower... erm... high (high number, which means less discount lol), and may land you an additional excess.

excesses that will apply for you:

basic (somewhere between $350 and $450 generally speaking depending on the company)
age (will be massive probably looking at the $700/800 mark)

they may also impose an additional driver excess on you, and/or an additional excess for the car being "high performance".

now, when they work out your excess when you have an accident, they will be adding everything together.

so, as far as excesses go, i'll be very surprised if it's under the $1k mark.

and that's the good news :(
the bad news:

you premiums is going to cost approx. 1x arm + 1x leg, and possibly your first born as well lol
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

Agreed with BorepYano.

I wouldn't normally advocate this but it would probably be cheaper in your case to take out a decent third party insurance, and put the money that you would have spent on insurance into a savings fund in case you have an accident.

Also, a lot of insurance companies won't insure you because it's an import car and they don't like handling them. There should be a sticky with a list of insurance companies that will insure you though.
jakeb

Post by jakeb »

Ahh I didn't expect my excess or premiums to be low or anything after this accident. I've probably chosen a bad car to fall in love with after a major accident :lol:

Looks like I'll be taking out third party insurance heh. Unfortunately the bank account is looking rather sad, I haven't been able to work for 3 weeks due to the car crash (did my hand in). So yes I'll have to see how it goes.

Anyone feel like recommending a few companies? I'll only be insuring for market value.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Hey mate I am with just car, they seem to be very good my premium is 1400 and I rang up the other day about changing my motor to a twin turbo motor and they said it would increase by 24 dollars. They seem to be very understanding towards younger people and jap cars
arkoso
Grease Monkey

Post by arkoso »

Hey mate,

I am down in Bunbury myself, and only a couple of years older than yourself, still on my P's.
I had a hard time finding insurance. The places that offered insurance for an FTO wouldn't do it for me because I was too young. Unlike you I have a flawless record no crashes, claims or fines so I have the upper hand there ... however as sandbox as it sounds try HBF.

I walked into HBF expecting to be laughed at, but they didn't know what an FTO was, and were not going to ensure it on grounds that it sounded like a imported sports car. I let them know that it was a V6, unmodified except for an air filter and that it was non-turbo, and they said oh screw it why not.

So now I actually have a good deal, my car is insured for an agreed value of $12000 (a fair chunk more than it'd ever sell for) and I'm paying about $60 a week. Yes - its pricey, but its comforting. And when I want a new car I'll just slam into a tree or something. 8)
Don't call them, go in, talk to one of the young chicks and you should get a good deal.
Best of luck.