Insurance for 20 year old?

Found a good price to insure your FTO? Or looking for insurance for your ride? This is the section to look in.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Insurance for 20 year old?

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Hey,
Was just wondering what the cheapest insurance is for a 20 year old. Basically no accident history and a good driving record etc.

Just cars is quoting $2300 + $750 excess + $700 age excess which is pretty expensive...

Famous car insurance according to their website is over 30's for some reason:

Are you over 30 years of age?
If no, sorry we are unable to cover you.
If yes, please continue.

Any ideas?
cheers
bduffman
Oldtimer

Re: Insurance for 20 year old?

Post by bduffman »

well your one of the lucky ones mines up there like double yours cause of accident and loses of licence 700 age is a lot nrma was only bout 200 extra but a lot of compernys wont even deal with the fto cause its a import
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

when i was 19 it only cost me 1700 with a $400 excess
wcefan
Grease Monkey

Post by wcefan »

comprehensive is just way too expensive for younger drivers. I'm 18 and I was quoted $2600 and above. I ended up going for third party fire and theft, only cost me $473 from Just Car
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

I'm in tassy and with just car its costing me 1400 P.A. with 400 excess on AMACHAs' old car.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

It is too expensive, hence why I've been on 3rd party for a year now. But the thing is the car's I'm looking at buying are over $11,000, which is a larger percentage compared to what I paid for my FTO.

It's one thing to pay excess, its another thing to pay $700 AGE EXCESS which is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. If I'm already paying an extremely high premium for insurance why do I have to pay another $700 because of my age?
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

try shannons
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

i've tried shannons & they won't insure under 25's

one place that might do it is GIO .. i haven't ever tried calling them before, but if you do, let us know
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

Wow Nighthawk, you must live in a really high risk area to have a quote like that!

I'm with Just Car. I'm 18 (2 years less experience than you) and my premium is $2000 + $400 excess + $600 age excess.

By the way, that age excess only applies in an accident in which you are at fault... Doesn't apply to thefts :)
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

rego it threw your parents name thats what i did with my old car was in mine and mums so i got the nrma good driver discount and i was just added as a driver
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

bduffman wrote:rego it threw your parents name thats what i did with my old car was in mine and mums so i got the nrma good driver discount and i was just added as a driver
they've gotten wise to that .. premiums go by youngest driver
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Dan25 wrote:Wow Nighthawk, you must live in a really high risk area to have a quote like that!
Funny that seeing as the area I live in is one of the lowest crime rate suburbs within 40km :\ doesn't make sense.
bduffman wrote:rego it threw your parents name thats what i did with my old car was in mine and mums so i got the nrma good driver discount and i was just added as a driver
Yep doesn't work anymore, the few insurers that will actually insure me go by the youngest driver age as mentioned. And if it's completely under my parents name they will find out I use it daily and it will void my insurance, something I won't risk :)
Dan25
Mechanic

Post by Dan25 »

-Nighthawk- wrote:
Dan25 wrote:Wow Nighthawk, you must live in a really high risk area to have a quote like that!
Funny that seeing as the area I live in is one of the lowest crime rate suburbs within 40km :\ doesn't make sense.
I'd say it's got something to do with the fact that you're in/near Melbourne which is obviously the second biggest city in Australia. The statistics would most likely show that there is a much higher risk of an accident/theft there as opposed to a relatively laidback place such as here on the Sunshine Coast...

That's not a dig at where you live lol, just the reality of insurance I guess.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Dan25 wrote: I'd say it's got something to do with the fact that you're in/near Melbourne which is obviously the second biggest city in Australia. The statistics would most likely show that there is a much higher risk of an accident/theft there as opposed to a relatively laidback place such as here on the Sunshine Coast...

That's not a dig at where you live lol, just the reality of insurance I guess.
Its true...

Before I got mine i checked a few different suburbs around brisbane and they where all preety much the same. Maybe varied at most $150
Taz wrote:When funds allow
custommodz
Grease Monkey

Post by custommodz »

Thats all massivley expensive for insurance. I don't want to make people cry but, im 26, i move to Aus only 1 month ago, and bought my car three weeks ago, and just car insured me for $930 fully comp (with a $300 excess).

It seems to me that over here you pay premiums all the way up till you're 25. In the uk, i had a nissan pulsar and only paid about $1700 fully comp when i was 22.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yep 25 is the magical age
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
hugekim
Grease Monkey

Post by hugekim »

Yeah I found it pointless trying to go full comp for my car (also 20 year old in SE suburbs, Vic) so I just went with Just Car 3rd party. $385 for my GPvR (had to email them because they only had the GR and GPX in their lists)
mz_madz
Grease Monkey

Post by mz_madz »

I have been with Shannons for a year and a half and it goes down every year. I am paying $2k per year full comp with a $400 excess.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Shannons was the most expensive out of all the companies when I was getting quoted.

Just cars is who I am with
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Sophia
Mechanic

Post by Sophia »

wcefan wrote:comprehensive is just way too expensive for younger drivers. I'm 18 and I was quoted $2600 and above. I ended up going for third party fire and theft, only cost me $473 from Just Car

Same, Just car are the cheapest out of everywhere I looked