what should i expect-- making a claim

Found a good price to insure your FTO? Or looking for insurance for your ride? This is the section to look in.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Cassf88
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

what should i expect-- making a claim

Post by Cassf88 »

ok. agreed value of car $13K with Just Car, my excess in $2250 (no typo, decreased premium, increase excess).
in jan, car had paint thinner thrown on it, bonnet and front driver quarter panel affected. last week, keyed- driver quarter panel, driver door, rear driver quarter panel, the bit between the small triangle window behind the driver and back windsreen, spoiler, rear passenger quarter panel, the bit between the small triangle window behind the passenger and back windsreen and the passenger door. (has been reported to police, both occasions)

Called JustCar and stupidly, told them it was 2 seperate incident (was being honest) and they want me to pay the excess ($2250) twice for the two claims.

1. What are my options?
2. Can they make me pay it twice if i put in for both cases?
3. If im not happy with that can i escalate it?
4. Whats the chances of a write off?

i know members here either worked for insurance or know someone who has, but if anyone can give me some answers or what they reckon, please.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Re: what should i expect-- making a claim

Post by I8A4RE »

You need to speak to yang he knows his sh*t on this stuff.

But that is BS, hope you get it sorted
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

For $2250 you could afford to buy a garage! Or at least rent one out for it.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Cassf88 wrote: 4. Whats the chances of a write off?
Claim that it has affected your paint and it'll be a write off with everything else you said.
Taz wrote:When funds allow
Cassf88
Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

how do i claim its affected my paint. the paint i currently have is custom, is that what u mean. also, another question will they have to do something about the roof rust? btw, no room for garage, i woulda done that first had it been an option lol
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Well didn't you say it had thinners through on it?
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

who did you piss off? :lol:
Cassf88
Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

i had thinner thrown on the bonnet which was the first problem so i'm not sure theyre going to repair it.

brad- my ex.
brad_gpx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by brad_gpx »

if they arent going to fix your bonnet and front driver quarter pannel maybe just replace those parts? could even get a new bonnet. probably work out to be the same money as your excess.

what a crazy bitch :lol:
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Custom paint... :/

"What should i expect" don't expect anything always leads to sad face :(

You could almost afford a new custom paint job for those two excess payments? Do you have a better colour in mind or another colour?? (Although it is a nice blue.)

On the roof rust i had mine cut out and fiberglassed over and repainted for a grand or so i searched around town and that was the most reasonable.. well it was the only guy that would do it, the guy i went to.

You could almost get it all sorted in one but i don't think the insurance company would accept rust cutting as part of the claim it would show on the receipt.
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

1. options: get your ex to pay for it; get a quote for both lots of damage, and then decide if it's worth claiming either or both.
2. unfortunately it is 2 separate incidents, thus 2 claims, and xs will apply for each incident.
3. you can, you can have them escalate it internally first, then if you are still unhappy with their decision then you can even go as far as the (independent) financial ombudsman, but it's a pretty clean cut case, and they are well in their rights to ask you to pay the xs twice... though sometimes they might negotiate with you to save some of the trouble.
4. the chances of a write off is pretty minimal, unless the quote for fixing one of the lots of dmg is close to or over the agreed value of your car. (it's a little more complicated than that, but I can't be bothered explaining all the details)

just to clarify a few things:
1. is there visible damage from the paint thinner?
2. did you tell them that it was your ex that did it? (if so, did they ask for his details)
3. have you got a quote on how much it's going to cost to fix all the dmg yet?

my understanding was that, if it's proven that it was him, you can actually sue him for the cost of repairs (with that said, even if you win the case, there's nothing that can 100% guarantee that he'll actually pay it). or if you make the claim(s), your insurance company should try to make recovery off him, and if they
are able to make full recovery for the cost then they should refund you any xs you had to pay.

I just had a quick read of their PDS, and it doesn't actually say what happens in the event of malicious damage when you can name the person that did it. I might give them a call (if I remember lol) tomorrow to check that out for you. :)

btw, sorry about the long-winded-ness of the reply
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Cassf88
Mechanic

Post by Cassf88 »

the damage to the bonnet i will try and explain with a bad attempt at a diagram-- this is an fto bonnet | \ / | now the damage from the thinner is between the edge of the bonnet | and the inside 'V' \ so between | \ with a little overflow on the \ /
it starts up from where the window washer is down to the top of the headlight. i have a pic on my phone but cant upload it.

i cant prove that it was my ex so im not intending on going down the avenue of naming him as the reason, i wouldve done that in a heartbeat.

i havent gotten a quote yet on how much its going to cost, thought id ask here first what i should/n't do or say while talking to them.

i was also wondering, would it be maybe beneficial to drop my agreed value as to possibly have it written off (by value of the quote) or is that still unlikely?

thanks for your help so far, dont mind the 'long-winded-ness' of the reply.
Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

That makes perfect sense to me on describing, good work. As for the rest, i'll let yang deal with :lol:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

well if you can't prove that it was your ex and/or if you don't want to name him then unfortunately the xs will definitely apply. (no point in me calling them to find out I guess)
you said you reported to the police right, did you tell them that you think it was your ex that did it? if so, are they going to follow up on that?

and dropping your agreed value won't work because the incidents happened before hand. besides you don't want them to write off your car anyway, because if they do, they keep the car (well, you can buy it back I guess, but honestly, it's not going to work out in your favour either way, once again too complicated for me to bother explaining in detail lol)

I'd say... find out how much it's going to cost to fix first, then take it from there...
keep us posted :)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia