insurance suggestions

Found a good price to insure your FTO? Or looking for insurance for your ride? This is the section to look in.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

xyrgen
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

insurance suggestions

Post by xyrgen »

Ok so I brought myself an fto the other week and couldn't be happier.

Only problem is I'm having difficulties finding an insurance company that won't charge excessively.
I know it's more expensive because it's an import but so far the ones I've found are wanting almost 1/2 what I paid for the car in the first place yearly.

Any suggestions? (I'm over 25 so should be able to get insurance from most places)
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Re: insurance suggestions

Post by adzski »

just car, reason i say this is most company's wont touch it cause its a import, i got continuously knocked back cause its a import, just cars price is not to bad ring them up and get a quote
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

Comprehensive is way too much for these cars, being that they are grey market imports.

No point spending 50% of the cars worth on annual insurance IMO.

Third party + safe driving = more money :lol:
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

^ this, i got third party, was about $500 from memory!
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

I got my insurance from NRMA full comp at just over $1000 and I'm 21
gotta get there one day :)
xyrgen
Apprentice

Post by xyrgen »

I've had a look on both their websites and they both quoted over $1700 a year. I knew it would be expensive as I still have to sit the test for my p's but $1700's a bit over the top, might be cheaper if I speak with them direct but still that's ridiculous I only paid $4000 for the car to begin with.

I've had a bit of a look around though and so far the best I can find is ai insurance at just under $800 which I can afford. Am still waiting on a quote from shannons atm.

I don't plan to be driving it hard so maybe you're right adzski and I should just go 3rd party.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Shhtuart wrote:
Yep. that's what I've got.
the FTO is a weekender now anyway
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

bass_twitch wrote:
Shhtuart wrote:
Yep. that's what I've got.
the FTO is a weekender now anyway
+2
my fto is my daily, though my mum go it hella cheap, ftos are generally only worth like .. 4-8k?? jst estimating, nd for me to get full comp will probably be 1.5-2k a year, after 2 years, thats a good chunk of your car :L im only gonna look at full comp if i get a car worth more then 10~s
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
adzski
Veteran Mechanic

Post by adzski »

xyrgen wrote:I've had a look on both their websites and they both quoted over $1700 a year. I knew it would be expensive as I still have to sit the test for my p's but $1700's a bit over the top, might be cheaper if I speak with them direct but still that's ridiculous I only paid $4000 for the car to begin with.

I've had a bit of a look around though and so far the best I can find is ai insurance at just under $800 which I can afford. Am still waiting on a quote from shannons atm.

I don't plan to be driving it hard so maybe you're right adzski and I should just go 3rd party.
well as a rule of thumb i use with vehicles if the car is under $5000 get third party that being said if your a going to highly modify your car and put a lot of money into it, its a different story! but my advice as a p plater like you, get third party and just be careful with the way you drive, also when you said the cheapest you could get is under $800 is that full comp or third party? if its $800 for full comp i would get full comp for another cpl hundred you'll sleep easier :)
Eltnot
Mechanic

Post by Eltnot »

I found Shannons is the cheapest followed by Just Cars.
kiz
SA Coordinator

Post by kiz »

I'm through just cars with my GPVR.

Full comprehensive for me was $1600 per year. Im 20, zero insurance claims, one license disqualification while on P's and the car is insured for market value at $14k.

Considering it was costing me the same to insure my Mazda MX6 at $5k market value through SGIC, I thought it was a good deal on the FTO
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
xyrgen
Apprentice

Post by xyrgen »

Yeah the $800 was full comp, but I got a quote from shannons today for just under $600 full comp, so I'm going to go with them.

From what I can tell the reason shannons is so much cheaper is that they don't bump the price up for people on their L's or P's. They only bump it up for under 25's which I'm not.